Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ipaddaro

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2014
A better processor and other enhancements sooner is better than than just a ram upgrade now for trying to future proof. Especially dont need the storage or real need for the ram now.
Exactly… to me this year oled screen and processor are worth the update alone (maybe only the screen could justify this). Imagine being stuck in a 3-4 year old model (I usually keep the ipad muuuch longer, it’s an example based on what i’m reading here regarding update forecasts) because one invested in more RAM a that time..

I mean, RAM is a big deal, but i think you should consider how much you need now and in 2-3 years max, considering the huge gap in price that would cover 60-70% price of a future update

Reactions: Wags

littlepud

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2012
This is a chart crime

img_0043-jpeg.2378697
That test (Metal) doesn’t touch the extra CPU core. It’s GPU-only, and both chips have the same GPU.

stevemiller

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2008
That test (Metal) doesn’t touch the extra CPU core. It’s GPU-only, and both chips have the same GPU.
on the one hand, mostly within a margin of error of each other. but also, since the 10 core cpu version does also have more ram, and i assume the m4 ipad ram is unified like macs, so in theory there could be a meaningful difference in gpu performance depending on the scenario being stress tested 🤷‍♂️

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.