Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EleventyTen

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2021
The added thermal pads make a big difference to this mod, [...] the thermal pads send the heat through the pad into the chassis where it can bleed into the cooling plate.

[...]

The mods to the laptop are largely reversible:

Feet - $3 on AliExpress
Thermal pads - you just peel them off
Once time I disassembled a GeForce card and there were some individual thermal pads between the heatsink and RAM and some other chips that seemed really awesome: touching the pad literally made my finger tip feel cool/cold. How do I find pads like *that*??? What kind or type of pad did you use? How do I find a good (type of) pad?

GumaRodak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2015
What about to to take out pcbs and all stuff and put it into atx tower with proper cooling? Imo, buying desktop is smarter..

fishernomad

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2018
What about to to take out pcbs and all stuff and put it into atx tower with proper cooling? Imo, buying desktop is smarter..
It is if you haven’t already bought the MacBook. The previous mbps are capable to peak its designed performance, but 2016 onwards the performance of the MacBook is just very subpar, and with lots of ****** defect- cooked t-con unit, cooked and damaged flex cable, rendered the MacBook unusable in a few years. Now to salvage what’s left, you can pay about $50 usd to add water cooling to it. Or you can of course be smart and buy a desktop. Sure

Reactions: PeterJP

fishernomad

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2018
Very nice setup, but i don’t have the time and knowledge to develop the temperature monitoring system as OP.
I’ll just add a thermal stat and a knob to regulate the heat flow.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.