Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SebCohen

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2022
So it’s fast charge, but not fast transfer. Why design a USB 2.O with that capability?

I think it is 3.0, but they are limiting it. My guess, it’s to sell iCloud storage by slowing down transfers to external storage. Would be so nice to stick a thumb drive in there and offload stuff while on holiday etc.

shaown

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2011
I think they are just avoiding investing more in lightning, probably the chip they using that last iPad Pro was tied to that variant SOC?

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
100% absolutely true. Lack of competition is causing Apple to truly become lazy on both the HW and SW side. iOS 16 is an embarrassment. When Android is more intuitive (an apple strength) and easier to get work done, you know Apple must have screwed up big time.
It seems the iPhone buying public doesn’t necessarily agree with this. Who would buy a phone and along with it an o/s that isn’t as intuitive as it’s competition , harder to get work done. Yep by selling hundreds of millions of phones a year apple has screwed up royally.

SebCohen

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2022
It seems the iPhone buying public doesn’t necessarily agree with this. Who would buy a phone and along with it an o/s that isn’t as intuitive as it’s competition , harder to get work done. Yep by selling hundreds of millions of phones a year apple has screwed up royally.

And it factually isn’t true. They have the best tech and the best SW AND the best combination of tech/sw. They dont really have to be more innovative. It wouldn’t make financial sense. Let me rephrase that. They most likely are innovating out of their pores…it just doesn’t make financial sense to release everything at once. The public also doesn’t demand more innovation really. (Though 14 was more lacklustre than in a while…meaning 15 will be outrageous)

Which proves the point. If they are this innovative, why keep USB 2.0 if not to force people over to iCloud?

Apple is pretty great, but they are neither angels or our saviours. Apple does things for themselves first…but the 2.0 thing irks the bejesus out of me.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
And it factually isn’t true. They have the best tech and the best SW AND the best combination of tech/sw. They dont really have to be more innovative. It wouldn’t make financial sense. Let me rephrase that. They most likely are innovating out of their pores…it just doesn’t make financial sense to release everything at once. The public also doesn’t demand more innovation really. (Though 14 was more lacklustre than in a while…meaning 15 will be outrageous)

Which proves the point. If they are this innovative, why keep USB 2.0 if not to force people over to iCloud?

Apple is pretty great, but they are neither angels or our saviours. Apple does things for themselves first…but the 2.0 thing irks the bejesus out of me.
To be candid I think there is some circular reasoning in the above combined with some assumptions and opinions.

The 14 is a great upgrade. Bought a pro max for my wife and will be getting one for me.

Imo, the people speak when they buy 100s of millions of iPhones yearly. You make assumptions when you say that apple doesn’t have to be innovative and the people will just take it.

Lighting vs usb c today is the last thing I care about and suspect many others do as well.

Sammy in SoCal

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2021
To be candid I think there is some circular reasoning in the above combined with some assumptions and opinions.

The 14 is a great upgrade. Bought a pro max for my wife and will be getting one for me.

Imo, the people speak when they buy 100s of millions of iPhones yearly. You make assumptions when you say that apple doesn’t have to be innovative and the people will just take it.

Lighting vs usb c today is the last thing I care about and suspect many others do as well.
People are led by Youtubers to think that they need USB-C. They don’t. Yes it would be an advantage for Youtubers to transfer their video files(they could also just use airdrop). So you just get all these people parroting what their favorite reviewers say, not realizing it’s not gonna change the way they use their phone

• Love
Reactions: I7guy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.