Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

h.koch78

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2019

Same problem here in germany. Apple replaced the top cover, but the issue is not resolved. Now they want to definitely replay the issue (with a specific sound file, haha, the issue appears whenever it wants). I assume it must be some software bug, since a popup sound kills the noise.

Mimiron

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2017

Same problem here in germany. Apple replaced the top cover, but the issue is not resolved. Now they want to definitely replay the issue (with a specific sound file, haha, the issue appears whenever it wants). I assume it must be some software bug, since a popup sound kills the noise.
Just go to the nearest Apple Store and demand the unit be replaced or your money back. The 2018 lineup is riddled with bugs...
Keyboard issues, the main stage reflection effect and crackling, shouldn't be happening with a machine that costs 3K and has a one-year warranty oh lol.

h.koch78

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2019
Just go to the nearest Apple Store and demand the unit be replaced or your money back. The 2018 lineup is riddled with bugs...
Keyboard issues, the main stage reflection effect and crackling, shouldn't be happening with a machine that costs 3K and has a one-year warranty oh lol.
I asked for that: they want to reproduce it before next repair or replacement. Unfortunately, it‘s not deterministic behaviour, we could sit hours waiting for the effect.

Mimiron

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2017
I asked for that: they want to reproduce it before next repair or replacement. Unfortunately, it‘s not deterministic behaviour, we could sit hours waiting for the effect.
How often does the crackling occur? Any chance you could record it and show it in the store?

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
Has Apple come up with a fix for this yet? I haven’t tried going to the Apple Store to take care of this yet. How are they resolving this issue for customers.

upandown

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2017
Has Apple come up with a fix for this yet? I haven’t tried going to the Apple Store to take care of this yet. How are they resolving this issue for customers.
I’ve been optimistic they will fix it. But I hate to say it, I think it’s needs to be in the media to pressure them so they will make it a priority. How all the media reviewers don’t ever mention it is beyond me. I know for a fact that every laptop of this generation has the issue. The only way you wouldn’t know, is if you never listen to sound.
[doublepost=1556731460][/doublepost]

What’s weird and why I believe it’s not hardware, is that the popping occurs through Bluetooth and 3.5mm connected devices.

h.koch78

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2019
After reproduction of the noise a service partner of Apple switched the logic board. The error is resolved for me (so, after all replacements, only the display remained the same of the whole MacBook).

zedsdeadbaby

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2016
Same. Thought the last updste mostly solved the issue. Aside from popping noises when starting or stopping video or audio, the stuttering I was experiencing stopped. Last night however I had a few full on audio glitches that happened when the CPU spiked in Logic. Wasn't a dropout, it was the same jitter/'bit-crusher'-sounding distortion I started having after Sec Update 2018-002.

2018 MBP here too. This machine has been one regret after another...

zedsdeadbaby

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2016
800-MY-APPL
Skip dealing with support. When you call say "complaint", (which flags the call). You'll still get support initially, ask to speak to Customer Relations because you want to file a complaint.

As I said in the larger thread, I had one CR rep explain why the issue isn't getting any priority. Technical issues like this have to be voted on internally before they even get considered priority.

The same rep said that bringing your device into an Apple store doesn't have as much impact as filing a formal complaint with Customer Relations. Basically, filing a support ticket doesn't flag an issue, and bringing it into the store appears to be failing for whatever reason.

It needs to be formally complained about to be shoved in their face. After which it has to go through a voting process. (Which is absolutely ridiculous! But apparently the way it is...) Since then I've had a 2nd CR rep confirm voting process after complaining a 2nd time. Seems like the whole internal structure of Apple is screwed up but that's another thread...

The last piece of advice he had was that if you're going to have the machine serviced or replaced, file a complaint before bringing it in, and ask that Customer Relations rep to schedule a follow up call so they can follow up about the issue after its been serviced or replaced. When you bring the machine in give them the case number and ask them to log the case number with the replacement or service. It'll give context to the replacement that stores or ASP's aren't able to provide with Apple's current (broken) system.

The short version is that unfortunately this issue is apparently going to require people to be proactive about it. If you think Apple's just cooking up a fix I'd suggest asking yourself the following question.. Why does the issue continue to show up despite being about a year old now?

Last edited:

nvmls

Suspended
Mar 31, 2011
Why does the issue continue to show up despite being about a year old now?

A year old? The mac line has been one troll after another since 2016.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8223192

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/15-2016-mbp-speaker-crackling.2015467/

https://www.reddit.com/r/macbookpro/comments/5fg9ev/2016_15_macbook_pro_crackling_sound/

They couldn't care less for a fix, people will buy their half baked products anyways. Under Cook, they produce for stockholders, to many this is supposed to be a good thing. YMMV.

zedsdeadbaby

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2016
They couldn't care less for a fix, people will buy their half baked products anyways. Under Cook, they produce for stockholders, to many this is supposed to be a good thing. YMMV.

C'mon now that's ridiculous. As cynical as I am about Apple no company wants to be known for selling products that consistently result in dissatisfied customers. The worlds wealthiest retail outlet doesn't stay at the top of the pecking order by intentionally selling new customers products who's first time experience is so bad they never buy from that brand again.

If you were a new company with the goal of dominating a market sector you couldn't build a business model more destined-to-fail. Shareholders? They'd dump stock as soon as it was clear Apple's business model was centered around single sale, short term gains.

What's going on is a structural ****show. It's the same kind of stupidity that happens in the corporate world all the time. Does it suck to be on the receiving end? Hell yeah it does. But complaining on a forum without making any effort is a pretty good way to make sure things just stay the same.

The article below describes an ex-developer's first hand account of the corporate stupidity going on inside Apple. It's short, and I've seen this type of thing play out in the real world myself when I worked for a developer a few years back.

Former Apple Developer Describes Why Apples Software is Struggling

The Reddit thread the article is based on.
https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/7x0eif/how_apple_plans_to_root_out_bugs_and_revamp/du4z6bx/

Last edited:

nvmls

Suspended
Mar 31, 2011
C'mon now that's ridiculous. As cynical as I am about Apple no company wants to be known for selling products that consistently result in dissatisfied customers. The worlds wealthiest retail outlet doesn't stay at the top of the pecking order by intentionally selling new customers products who's first time experience is so bad they never buy from that brand again.

1. They didn't get to the top being transparent either
  2. We have more than 150 MBPs from all generations since 2013 here, can tell you first hand since 2016 pros are nothing short of pissed off
  3. If you think putting out "premium priced laptop" with a flawed keyboard design 3 generations in a row is not something intentional, you must really love them
  4. Jobs built a better cage based on great products, Cook is just exploiting that by raising margins to an obscene level while transitioning to services, they chase money now above anything else, that won't last forever

Jul 4, 2015
Paris
You'll be pleased to hear that the latest Catalina build Dev Beta 3 almost fixes the crackling and popping sounds. It's like 99% fixed for the internal sound processing. I haven't tested external sound devices.

tehStickMan

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2018
Australia
The issue was resolved with an OS update, which lasted quite some time. But now it’s back on my MBP as well. The Apple Store has no clue—or is not allowed to admint the bug?
Issue was never resolved for me. All 5 of my 2028-2019 MBP I’ve had have this issue.

I’m waiting on refresh as it’s the T2 causing problems and it’s never going to be fixed.

albebaubles

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2010
Sierra in view
You'll be pleased to hear that the latest Catalina build Dev Beta 3 almost fixes the crackling and popping sounds. It's like 99% fixed for the internal sound processing. I haven't tested external sound devices.
It CREATE the issue for me on my loaded 2019mbp. All sound was fine4 until I loaded the GM seed of Catalina and now the left speaker cackles.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.