Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I mentioned in another thread earlier today that I am probably going to switch to an Android phone after having iPhones for the past decade. I have essentially no experience with the OS and never paid much attention to it either, but I'd see or hear things on occasion. I am looking at going with the forthcoming Google Pixel 2 after it's announced in a few weeks. But as I continue to read and watch YouTube reviews about the Pixel and Android I do have some questions.

1. Why are there delays, sometimes very long ones, for certain handsets to get the latest version of Android? I understand that the Google phones (Nexus and Pixel) generally get the new updates immediately. But why do the handsets from Samsung, HTC and the others get delayed by the manufacturer and/or cellular carriers?
  2. Regarding the Google Play Store, is it more open than the App Store meaning susceptible to malicious apps? If so, is there a system or way of knowing how much an app can be trusted? Are there other places besides the GPS to get apps?
  3. I still have and use as my main email account the old .mac domain (youremail@mac.com). Are there apps that are compatible with Apple's email where I can still use it?
  4. I do use Twitter a lot and have Tweetbot which is iOS only. I've never liked the official Twitter app, so is there an Android favorite app out there that I should consider?
Thanks!

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
1) The delays are because the OEM and the carriers need to test their stuff but really it's just everyone in the chain being lazy and better for all if you buy a new phone.
2) OFC the play store is susceptible to malware because there is less control I've yet to have a problem because I look for paid apps first. If you don't like the play store look for the app you want and download the apk. If that doesn't work for you you can also use the amazon app store and F-Droid
3) I have an apple email account and every client I've used on Android will connect
4) I don't use twitter

Reactions: SandboxGeneral

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
  1. Delays happen due to manufacturers and carriers that need to make sure everything is compatible, with their skin overlays, features, and etc. But Android Oreo will include Project Treble which a lot of manufacturers are onboard with, and it's made to streamline updates timely. Hopefully it works out.
  2. The Google Play Store has recently implemented "Play Protect". If you press the install button and you see it, you're safe. I've noticed very few apps don't have it yet. But even before that existed, things were pretty safe.
  3. Most Email clients are compatible. But there will not be any push(at least to my knowledge). You'll have to set to pull every x amount of minutes.
  4. I just use the regular Twitter app from Twitter. I used to have a favorite client app, but they discontinued it.

Rum_Becker

Suspended
Sep 1, 2017
Canada
Last edited:

Puddled

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2017
1) think of Google and apple as restaurant. Google's kitchen is open to the customer. Apple's is closed. Google discusses with you what you want, what ingredients it needs and how it's going to make it and asks you if you want to pick up the frying pan yourself...

Apple's kitchen is closed. You get a very good steak cooked how the chef wants to cook it. There is no discussion. It just is.

In Google's kitchen, you see all of the time and effort broadcast at full tilt for all to see. You are told the kitchen is going to be open for business before you have even decided you want to eat.

In Apple's kitchen you are told to be ready for your very good steak cooked as the chef wants at a specific time.

The point Is, both kitchens serve. You just see the preparation and ground work in Google's kitchen before the food is ready. This leads the layman to thinking that Google's kitchen is slow and Apple's is fast. Wrong. They are both the same.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
I mentioned in another thread earlier today that I am probably going to switch to an Android phone after having iPhones for the past decade. I have essentially no experience with the OS and never paid much attention to it either, but I'd see or hear things on occasion. I am looking at going with the forthcoming Google Pixel 2 after it's announced in a few weeks. But as I continue to read and watch YouTube reviews about the Pixel and Android I do have some questions.

1. Why are there delays, sometimes very long ones, for certain handsets to get the latest version of Android? I understand that the Google phones (Nexus and Pixel) generally get the new updates immediately. But why do the handsets from Samsung, HTC and the others get delayed by the manufacturer and/or cellular carriers?
  2. Regarding the Google Play Store, is it more open than the App Store meaning susceptible to malicious apps? If so, is there a system or way of knowing how much an app can be trusted? Are there other places besides the GPS to get apps?
  3. I still have and use as my main email account the old .mac domain (youremail@mac.com). Are there apps that are compatible with Apple's email where I can still use it?
  4. I do use Twitter a lot and have Tweetbot which is iOS only. I've never liked the official Twitter app, so is there an Android favorite app out there that I should consider?
Thanks!

I just use the first party Twitter app, but Talon has a 4.6 rating on the store.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX

Thanks!

for 4, I've always loved tweetbot on iOS and took me a while to find what I liked on Android. I've tried them all and currently use Fenix which I like a lot.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=it.mvilla.android.fenix2&hl=en

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Thanks for the feedback everyone, much appreciated.

I just use the first party Twitter app, but Talon has a 4.6 rating on the store.

for 4, I've always loved tweetbot on iOS and took me a while to find what I liked on Android. I've tried them all and currently use Fenix which I like a lot.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=it.mvilla.android.fenix2&hl=en

I looked these up in the Play Store and have added them to my wishlist to explore later on. I had to do that since I don't yet have an Android device and the Store told me so when it saw I was on an iPad. Haha.

Reactions: co.ag.2005

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
1: Samsung doesn’t exactly have a generic android/touchwiz disto they recycle on all their devices. Takes time to rebuild their software on a new version of android, add features, QA it and get it approved by a carrier.

At the same time, I wouldn’t trade my Samsung software build features for Vanilla android just to get faster updates. No way in hell. Use a Note for a week and vanilla seems primitive in comparison.

2: I don’t regard this as a concern for me. It’s not like the android version of Snapchat is filled with malware compared to the iOS version. There’s also the Galaxy store and Amazon store for apps.

3: don’t know about .mac but .icloud works with the Samsung mail app easily and quickly.

4. I don’t tweet really so I’m not sure

Reactions: Dave.UK

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
To the OP good job picking the Pixel 2 for your first Android device ever that's absolutely without question the smartest decision if you're going to try Android for the very first time only get the stock Google phone.

I don't want to bash Samsung or LG or Motorola but I just think coming from an iPhone after years, the Pixel would be the best way to start with Android

And next year, after several months on stock Android, then maybe venture out to the Galaxy S9

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland

Thanks!
Do you by any chance use aliases with your @Mac address? The challenge I found when I tried to move to Android was being able to reply from aliases. I found that Aqua Mail Pro worked best if you need to be able to reply using aliases.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Do you by any chance use aliases with your @Mac address? The challenge I found when I tried to move to Android was being able to reply from aliases. I found that Aqua Mail Pro worked best if you need to be able to reply using aliases.
No I don't use aliases with it. Thanks for the tip though.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
There is one feature of iOS 11 that I've been looking forward to and that is 'Do not disturb while driving'. Is there a similar feature on Android?

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
There is one feature of iOS 11 that I've been looking forward to and that is 'Do not disturb while driving'. Is there a similar feature on Android?

If you download the Android auto app, you can have it auto launch when connected to your cars Bluetooth and that can DND notifications. Plus, if you use your phone on a windshield/dash mount, you have the power of Google Assistant to launch navigation, play music, etc.

Otherwise, there's a whole host of apps that can perform the DND function while driving. Hopefully someone will chime in too.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place

Thanks!

1. People blame the carriers, but the issue on Android is more endemic than that. It really is the fault of the OEM's and the way in which they segregate devices with region specific model codes and firmwares per region.

Carrier models quite often get updates sooner than carrier unlocked and unbranded models from OEM's which essentially rules out carriers as the prime cause. Sure they can exacerbate the issue, but are often given all the blame for something that should really be placed at the feet of OEMS.

If Android OEM's had proper single international models rather than the current manner they offer devices: ie. a model for UK, model for France, model for Germany, model for Norway etc, each with their own firmware/rom, exacerbated at times by carriers which means a country has multiple versions of same device with country specific codes (CSC) and different firmwares - then we could finally see faster android updates.

Sadly even with Google's plans to aid this going forward from Oreo - I personally do not see the situation changing anytime soon on the Android landscape.

2. It WAS, and there is still plenty of rouge apps that are hijacking assets from other apps for their own benefit. However last few years Google have really clamped down. The most recent google play services and play store has a feature called 'App Protect' which will scan the apps you have installed and will tell you if they are not secure.

The biggest problem is Android allows installation of apps from outside of the playstore, and there are numerous 'piracy' app stores on the internet offering paid apps for free and such. Essentially choosing to install apps from dodgy sites will invariably be a security risk. The dodgy sites are not doing 'dodgy' things for the benefit of end users, they are doing it for themselves.

Here is a snapshot of App Protect (top of the my app list) built into most recent Google Play Store

368e30dca21be8292be749805d71ca40.jpg

3. On the Pixel, GMAIL app works perfect with .Mac - you will just have to generate an app specific password in appleid website / security settings section and that is it. My 4 .mac email address work perfectly.

4. Fenix is the highest rated Twitter app on Android.

Last edited:

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
If you download the Android auto app, you can have it auto launch when connected to your cars Bluetooth and that can DND notifications. Plus, if you use your phone on a windshield/dash mount, you have the power of Google Assistant to launch navigation, play music, etc.

Otherwise, there's a whole host of apps that can perform the DND function while driving. Hopefully someone will chime in too.

Awesome! My car has CarPlay and Android Auto built in too, so hopefully with that and your advice I can find a suitable solution for my needs. I don't have/want a dash or windshield mount for my phone. I just keep in down in the cup holder or the pocket of my lunchbag usually.

Question about Android Auto, if you or anyone could answer. Does AA require the phone be plugged into the car via USB like Apple CarPlay?

2. It WAS, and there is still plenty of rouge apps that are hijacking assets from other apps for their own benefit. However last few years Google have really clamped down. The most recent google play services and play store has a feature called 'App Protect' which will scan the apps you have installed and will tell you if they are not secure.

The biggest problem is Android allows installation of apps from outside of the playstore, and there are numerous 'piracy' app stores on the internet offering paid apps for free and such. Essentially choosing to install apps from dodgy sites will invariably be a security risk. The dodgy sites are not doing 'dodgy' things for the benefit of end users, they are doing it for themselves.

I doubt this will be an issue for me. I'm plenty happy getting/buying apps from the App Store and will be from the GPS or a reputable app developer. I don't go to dodgy sites and try to get paid stuff for free. So as long as there are some measures in the official GPS to keep apps safe I should be okay then.

3. On the Pixel, GMAIL app works perfect with .Mac - you will just have to generate an app specific password in appleid settings and thats it. My 4 .mac email address work perfectly.

Excellent. I already use and like the Gmail app on iOS. I just never looked into getting .mac to work with it. I do know that some email clients will not work with iCloud (.mac, MobileMe).

4. Fenix is the highest rated Twitter app on Android.

I think someone else mentioned this one too. I've added to my wish list so I can get it when I get the new phone.

Reactions: co.ag.2005 and MRU

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
Awesome! My car has CarPlay and Android Auto built in too, so hopefully with that and your advice I can find a suitable solution for my needs. I don't have/want a dash or windshield mount for my phone. I just keep in down in the cup holder or the pocket of my lunchbag usually.

Question about Android Auto, if you or anyone could answer. Does AA require the phone be plugged into the car via USB like Apple CarPlay?

awesome. then yeah, there are DND settings in the android auto app that you can configure. I'm not sure how involved or deep they go, but worth checking out. And yes, Android Auto requires a USB connection to the head unit (see first screenshot in imgur album).

The 2nd and 3rd screenshot in this IMGUR album shows the DND options and you can see, that my phone automatically went into DND mode when I launched android auto. While I don't have a car head unit that utilizes AA, the times I have used it, it auto launches this app when you plug your phone into your head unit, so it should DND right away.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
awesome. then yeah, there are DND settings in the android auto app that you can configure. I'm not sure how involved or deep they go, but worth checking out. And yes, Android Auto requires a USB connection to the head unit (see first screenshot in imgur album).

The 2nd and 3rd screenshot in this IMGUR album shows the DND options and you can see, that my phone automatically went into DND mode when I launched android auto. While I don't have a car head unit that utilizes AA, the times I have used it, it auto launches this app when you plug your phone into your head unit, so it should DND right away.
Thanks for the screenshots, that explains exactly what I was looking for.

Reactions: co.ag.2005

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Here is another question. My apologies if its already well known and it's about iMessage.

When I switch my phone to an Android device I know that I won't have iMessage on it. Is there a way to receive text messages on an Android phone and have it replicated to a cross-platform app and receive the same text message on an iPad much like iMessage works?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Here is another question. My apologies if its already well known and it's about iMessage.

When I switch my phone to an Android device I know that I won't have iMessage on it. Is there a way to receive text messages on an Android phone and have it replicated to a cross-platform app and receive the same text message on an iPad much like iMessage works?
I'll just put Pushbullet out there since I've heard about it a few times. My understanding is that it's the Android equivalent to what you're asking.

No idea if it will function with an iOS device though, but probably not.

Moving along and to add another random comment…one thing about the Google Play Store I like is pushing app installs. My mom gave me an LG tablet that my dad never used a year or so ago and my daughter is using it now.

I can go to the Google Play store online at work, look for apps (usually games) I want to install for my daughter and have the play store push them to her device because it's linked to my Google account.

It means that she gets new games that appear on the device and can play them once they install. I don't have to wait until I get home with a list of apps I want to install and THEN go to the store.

I think that's a nice feature that the Apple app store does not have.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I'll just put Pushbullet out there since I've heard about it a few times. My understanding is that it's the Android equivalent to what you're asking.

No idea if it will function with an iOS device though, but probably not.

Moving along and to add another random comment…one thing about the Google Play Store I like is pushing app installs. My mom gave me an LG tablet that my dad never used a year or so ago and my daughter is using it now.

I can go to the Google Play store online at work, look for apps (usually games) I want to install for my daughter and have the play store push them to her device because it's linked to my Google account.

It means that she gets new games that appear on the device and can play them once they install. I don't have to wait until I get home with a list of apps I want to install and THEN go to the store.

I think that's a nice feature that the Apple app store does not have.
Thanks. I’ll give that app a look later today.

That does sound like a pretty neat feature of the GPS. It’s not one that I think I would use, but I can see how it would be very useful in cases like you describe.

Since I decided that I want an Android phone a couple of weeks ago I’ve been lurking and posting sometimes in this forum ever since. Reading the comments and seeing some of the screenshots of Android devices and reading articles from various websites has me looking forward to the experience.

I wasn’t eagerly anticipating Apple’s keynote this year and in fact the past several years have been this way. But I am eagerly looking forward to Google’s event next week to see what becomes of the Pixel. I’m fairly confident that I want a Project Fi capable phone and am up in the air about which Pixel I might get, the current model or the about to be announced model, or even that new Motorola phone that works on the service.

There are so many options when it comes to handsets on this platform that one can get lost in all the noise of it. But reading what all you folks write here has helped me keep my scope limited. It’s either Project Fi phones, or perhaps something from Samsung, Motorola or LG I’m thinking.

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany

That does sound like a pretty neat feature of the GPS. It’s not one that I think I would use, but I can see how it would be very useful in cases like you describe.

Since I decided that I want an Android phone a couple of weeks ago I’ve been lurking and posting sometimes in this forum ever since. Reading the comments and seeing some of the screenshots of Android devices and reading articles from various websites has me looking forward to the experience.

I wasn’t eagerly anticipating Apple’s keynote this year and in fact the past several years have been this way. But I am eagerly looking forward to Google’s event next week to see what becomes of the Pixel. I’m fairly confident that I want a Project Fi capable phone and am up in the air about which Pixel I might get, the current model or the about to be announced model, or even that new Motorola phone that works on the service.

There are so many options when it comes to handsets on this platform that one can get lost in all the noise of it. But reading what all you folks write here has helped me keep my scope limited. It’s either Project Fi phones, or perhaps something from Samsung, Motorola or LG I’m thinking.
What I like about the push feature is if I read about something at work like yesterday's FM radio talk I can look through the play store on my work computer and send it to whatever device rather than sending myself an email.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011

Yeah, a lot of options.

I am in the same boat as you. I had been waiting for a physical redesign of the iPhone that I liked. One of the reasons I did not get the iPhone 7.

Apple disappointed me (wasn't expecting the Apple event not to) so I'm looking at Android as my next upgrade as well. That's how I happen to be in here now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.