Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

form

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2003
in a country
I use the lowest ISO possible to get the shot I want as I want it. If I need a fast shutter speed I up the ISO if the aperture is already set where I need it.

You're fine up to ISO800, and ISO1600 is usable for small prints or if you use a good noise reduction plugin.

I use ISO100 less often than I use ISO200. I've owned a Rebel XT and currently own a 20D. I don't usually prefer to go past ISO400, but I will very willingly do so if it's necessary.

onomatopoeia

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2007
Ditto for the D80, it's not available in the `more manual modes'. I think it's not even available in P, only in these kiddie programs.

Really? I seem to remember using auto iso on my old D80 in manual mode. Maybe I'm mistaken as it's been a while.
The D300 can certainly do it though I'm weening myself off of auto iso. The D300 does a nice job in ideal situations with auto iso but I'm finding I want control over everything.

flinch13

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
With the advice I've obtained through this forum, I've tried a few new ISO settings today. I used 400 (gasp!) for the first time. I have to say, I'm pleased with the results, and I guess it isn't too terribly annoying to change on the fly after all. I'm just looking forward to upgrading to a D40 that much more now (D40 you can adjust ISO with your trigger finger).

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
Hey everyone,

There are a lot of talented photographers who post on this forum and I'm honored to be able to ask questions to you guys. Here's one that's been bugging me for a long time... what ISO values should be used in the real world?

I have had a Rebel XT (my first DSLR) for the past three months and have kept the ISO down to 100 to reduce noise. I have been relatively happy with the results, but I'm just a newbie, and for all I know I could have ruined some perfectly doable shots by sticking to such a low sensitivity. What do you guys use and in what situations? What do you notice as far as image quality reduction and noise? Anyone have particular experience with the XT? Also, is there anyone out there who also keeps their ISO down to 100 all the time? I may just continue doing that if it's what you guys do. Thanks so much, any help at all would be greatly appreciated.
If you use the XT on full auto, the camera will automatically select 100 to 400 ISO. That should tell you that your camera produces low noise photos within that range. However, older Canon cameras such as the XT are known for low digital noise, even at higher settings than 400 ISO.

That's the answer, and the rest is up to you to find out. take some photos, with the camera set to higher than 400 ISO, and see what you find out.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
Changing the ISO does not change the depth of field, this is incorrect.
If you crank up the ISO, your sensor is `more sensitive' to light and you can choose either faster shutter speeds or smaller apertures.

But the depth of field is solely determined by the focal length of the lens, the aperture you've chosen and the distance to the focal plane.

Edit: I know what you're trying to say, but your explanation will only add to the confusion in my opinion.

You are correct. ISO has nothing to do with anything but to control the sensitivity of the sensor in relation to light. It's much like the chemicals on film reacting to the amount of light controlled by the camera's ISO (ASA) knob.

Jan 30, 2006
Ditto for the D80, it's not available in the `more manual modes'. I think it's not even available in P, only in these kiddie programs.

OK, so I read Ken Rockwell today and it seems that there are two options for Auto ISO, one which only works in Auto Modes, but if you dig deeper into the menus you'll find that there is another option to set Auto ISO on. And this one works with Manual Mode.:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.