Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

super chimp

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2008
UK
Finally getting decent software support with three Android versions and four years of updates. Also finally a more normal integrated camera app. Also class leading battery life, incredible audio & camera performance. The screen is a more normal aspect ratio & only HD. But overall I would say this is by far their best flagship in years. If you pre-order now you can claim a pair of fancy Sony headphones. Still has a headphone jack & memory card slot & weighs only 192g.

See link and video below.

Reactions: Tig Bitties

super chimp

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2008
UK
The 10 VI is an affordable midranger which gets the same software support and headphone jack & decent speakers. Very compact & lightweight at just 164g. Screen is fixed at 60Hz & a snapdragon 6 gen1 but still 8GB RAM & it’s only £349.

More details below.

Last edited:

super chimp

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2008
UK
Sony has announced its pre-order offer for the freshly unveiled Xperia 1 VI for UK customers. Those who pre-order the Xperia 1 VI from Sony's UK website will get a free pair of Sony WH-1000XM5 headphones worth €329/£299 and 50% off on the Xperia I IV Case purchased from Sony Store Online.

webkit

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2021
United States
Unfortunately for those in the U.S., the Xperia 1 VI won't officially be sold here. I wonder if this is a sign that Sony will be exiting the U.S. smartphone market in the near future. Sony smartphone sales overall have really been struggling.

super chimp

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2008
UK
Unfortunately for those in the U.S., the Xperia 1 VI won't officially be sold here. I wonder if this is a sign that Sony will be exiting the U.S. smartphone market in the near future. Sony smartphone sales overall have really been struggling.

Do you mean overall globally or just the US?

webkit

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2021
United States

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
Globally. For example, according to an IDC analyst, Sony's mobile sales dropped 40% in its home market (Japan) last year and may see a similar drop this year.

I'm surprised they are still making handsets at this point. I remember when they laid a load of Xperia people off, hired a new executive, and scaled back all their mobile plans and ambitions. Many years later, I would never have predicted they'd still be trying to crack this market in May 2024.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
As someone who has used pretty much all of the Xperia 1's and some of the 5's... Count me in for the 1 VI.
This looks to fix a lot of the niggles with the previous devices. I think it looks like one of the most complete devices for me. Very exciting they may finally have a home run!

super chimp

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2008
UK
The 10 VI review here points out the screen has a colour shift issue which is unusual these days even in midrange handsets. Also though the main camera is the same as last years model it has worse performance.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
God I hate GSM Arena reviews. If I have to see a photo sample of that snail or the clock on that building one more time. Like get some creativity and start taking photos of something else!
You want a video sample? Hey, here's one of the same road we've done video samples of for the last 10 years!
Drives me insane.

Reactions: MarkX

super chimp

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2008
UK
God I hate GSM Arena reviews. If I have to see a photo sample of that snail or the clock on that building one more time. Like get some creativity and start taking photos of something else!
You want a video sample? Hey, here's one of the same road we've done video samples of for the last 10 years!
Drives me insane.

Surely that makes it easier to compare things like camera performance between different phones.

Reactions: robvalentine

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Surely that makes it easier to compare things like camera performance between different phones.
No because it's a building in broad daylight (always sunny). So literally any phone is going to be able to deliver decent results in those conditions whether it's £1000 plus or £250. Also, they don't actually compare between devices. They just slap up the same photos of the same scenes for every single review. No comparisons, generally.

I mean, lots of people watch their videos so I am likely in the minority, but I find everything about their reviews an absolute snooze fest 😴.

JustAnExpat

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2019
Drives me insane.
I like it. It allows easy comparison between phones and cameras.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
I like it. It allows easy comparison between phones and cameras.
I wouldn't be going to the effort of loading multiple videos to see the same day time shots between cameras but if you like it, then that's good 😊 👍🏼

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Sony hasnt "officially" solf ANY of their phones in Noeth America since the Xperia 5 with carrier suport some 6 - 10yrs ago i believe.

Phones are too, and costly for this market and for some sumb reason Sony refuses to market theie phones globally. Almoat aa if their premium model is a feature of all the rest of theie tech spread out in various other products as a push for the entire smarthpone industry.

Camera's jyst about EVERY other phone manufacturer uses at least 1 iterarion of theie cameras since the by-gone era of fwature phones - we can thank the birth of CMOS and SonyEricsson partnership for that.

Battery life health and care - again. Fully absorbed by Google in Android OS some 12yrs ago. The industry has fully benefited with this knowledge yet the worls just doesnt know this.

Gaming on Android - with PlayStation Portable ans Go some 12yrs ago puahwd the industry to evolve games foe smartphones beyond laclluster angry birds garbage. Thank GOD!

Music! Playback controls, Hi-Fi quality and proper Over-The-Ear and True Wireless Earbuds. Aony was 1st woth wored headswts with Play, Pause, FWD/RWD, ans volume in Feature phones but late to Android with this (Apple's wired headphones bwat them by about a year), but BT wireless controls pushed the market further but somehow lacking full gesture controls with WF-1000XM5's.

Phone as hotspot. Some of us take this for granted but even before Wi-Fi was possible Sony's Bluetooth connection made data a lot faster than IrDA and very smooth kissing AT strings good-bye forever over 18yrs ago! Again partnership with Ericsson helped with this along with Ericsson creating Bluetooth.

Id like to see Sony co.e back with a serious Tablet whrre theie 4K screens can really shine ans be useful but not likely.

webkit

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2021
United States
Sony hasnt "officially" solf ANY of their phones in Noeth America since the Xperia 5 with carrier suport some 6 - 10yrs ago i believe.

Maybe not in Canada but Sony's U.S. site offers the Xperia I V which was introduced just last year. Sony authorized dealers in the U.S. also sell the phone.

Reactions: DeepIn2U

super chimp

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2008
UK
No because it's a building in broad daylight (always sunny). So literally any phone is going to be able to deliver decent results in those conditions whether it's £1000 plus or £250. Also, they don't actually compare between devices. They just slap up the same photos of the same scenes for every single review. No comparisons, generally.

I mean, lots of people watch their videos so I am likely in the minority, but I find everything about their reviews an absolute snooze fest .

They do actually do comparisons on their websites between certain devices, and you can tell the differences between shots as in spite of your claims they aren’t always that great in good light.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
They do actually do comparisons on their websites between certain devices, and you can tell the differences between shots as in spite of your claims they aren’t always that great in good light.
Must be fun to pixel peep!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.