Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MattZani

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2008
UK
I cant wait to see what Canon bring out in the Mini SLR Range. I'd love to have one, as i dont always wanna carry around my 450D, but then, i also want the lenses to work (I wouldnt buy any for the Mini, except maybe a fixed macro or wide angle, if its not bundled with one) so it looks like i need to buy the same brand.

Im also in the Canon Camp :p

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
I knew you were joking. And I agree with your assessment regarding the Coolpix product line. I used to have a Coolpix camera years ago and I was relatively happy with it. But then Canon came out with their G series, and I never looked back. Nikon totally missed the boat here (and they continue doing so).

Just in case anyone's missing the "joke"... it's based on the fact that one of Nikon's recent Coolpix cameras actually *has* a projector built-in.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
I'm sure that if people continue to buy 4/3 DSLRs in significant numbers, Olympus will continue to make them. However, I think that the number of u4/3 cameras flying off the shelves, in addition to Sony, Samsung, and others making moves to break into the burgeoning market, provides little incentive for Olympus (or Panasonic) to continue making 4/3 DSLRs. As for the diversity of u4/3 cameras, Olympus is already trying to fill in the low-end with the E-PL1 (only $100 more than your E-420, which came out 2 years ago), and Panasonic already has a high-end offering in the GH1.

Olympus isn't a Nikon or Canon in terms of its size or footprint in the camera market (especially with professionals), so it has less room to experiment with different models. I predict that they'll go with the winner of the two formats, and gradually phase out the other. Panasonic has no huge stake in the camera market, but when you compare the rate that 4/3 DSLRs have been released by them over the years (2 in the past 4, with the last one in 2007) to the number of u4/3 cameras that they've released lately (3 in the past year and a half), I think it should be clear which horse they're betting on....

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1002/10022303olympus43DSLR.asp

Olympus still committed to Four Thirds DSLRs
Tuesday, 23 February 2010 19:35 GMT

Olympus is still committed to the Four Thirds DSLR standard and will continue to develop it in tandem with its Micro Four Thirds mirrorless cameras, says the company's US DSLR product manager. In response to press speculation, John Knaur told dpreview.com: 'We still plan to develop full size DSLRs and both, side-by-side.'

The PEN range addresses different needs, he said: 'With the P1 and P2, we were selling to existing DSLR users but with the launch of the E-PL1, we're expanding that to a group of people who feel disenfranchised. We found about 20% of digital camera buyers wanted better image quality but didn't want the size and weight of a traditional DSLR.'

His comments are backed up by an official statement from Olympus Japan in response to suggestions that both systems might move over to a mirroless design: 'While [mirrorless Four Thirds] is possible from a technology standpoint, Olympus is committed to both the Four Thirds and Micro Four Thirds standards. In the future, you will continue to see new cameras based on both standards.'

Knaur also talked about the forthcoming lenses for Micro Four Thirds: 'The new 9-18 and 14-150 lenses both include internal focus which is faster and quieter than on the existing 14-42, which will help overcome a lot of the concerns people had early on about focus speed.' However, he did not think the company was likely to rush to replace the relatively recently developed 14-42mm kit lens to provide that same faster focusing for everyday shooting situations: 'at the moment it's more about filling the gaps in the lens range than replacing the existing ones.'

Open mouth, insert foot... :D

El Cabong

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2008
Open mouth, insert foot... :D

Cute.

In any case, as firestarter said, it's unlikely that Olympus would choose to alienate their (evidently rabidly loyal) existing customers by discontinuing 4/3 DSLRs immediately.

Once again, as I said, this is all dependent on how well 4/3 DSLRs continue to sell. Olympus and Panasonic were the only two companies to adopt the 4/3 standard, and as someone astutely pointed out:

Panasonic, on the other hand, has no dSLR's anymore anyways...
...meaning 50% of 4/3 DSLR manufacturers have opted out and moved on to the new format. I'm willing to bet that this had more than a little to do with poor sales of the L1/L10/Digilux 3, and I'll also bet that the GF1 has already outsold them all. Tell me, do you think Panasonic is going to keep making 4/3 DSLRs?

I'll now forgo continuing to ignore (out of courtesy) your blatant fanboyism and say that, as far as Olympus goes, they need to find a compelling reason to continue offering new 4/3 DSLRs and lenses. A 4/3 sensor will always provide inferior image quality to that of a larger sensor, due to the laws of physics. That is to say, 4/3 doesn't offer the same advantages over u4/3 that, say, Nikon FX does over DX. Therefore, since they realize that the laws of physics will endure for the foreseeable future, Olympus and Panasonic decided to play up the strength of the 4/3 sensor (smaller cameras). The advantages of DSLRs (better autofocus, better and built-in viewfinder) will be overcome by EVIL technological advances. when this happens, the only thing a 4/3 camera will provide over a u4/3 one is more bulk.

Until then, Olympus will continue to sell 4/3 DSLRs, even if that entails offering a glut of fairly undifferentiated and (ironically) largely interchangeable cameras. They're attracting new customers with u4/3, but they can't pull the 4/3 rug from under their old ones, just yet. As the u4/3 line expands, though, I predict that 4/3 development will slow to a halt. (Prove me wrong! Oh, never mind, you can't. Sorry. Wait... Do you own a time machine? Or, are you married to Rachel McAdams?)

Unfortunately, I know that I'm wasting my time and effort, here, because until you're personally forced to toss every single 4/3 DSLR on the planet into an incinerator, you won't be able to even entertain the possibility that 4/3 DSLRs just might potentially be somehow discontinued at some point in the future. Such a reasonable clientele; no wonder Olympus is afraid to take your cameras away.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Unfortunately, I know that I'm wasting my time and effort, here, because until you're personally forced to toss every single 4/3 DSLR on the planet into an incinerator, you won't be able to even entertain the possibility that 4/3 DSLRs just might potentially be somehow discontinued at some point in the future. Such a reasonable clientele; no wonder Olympus is afraid to take your cameras away.

Yes, saying that Olympus is going to discontinue 4/3 DSLR's is like saying that Pentax should discontinue their K-Mount format since neither can compete against Nikon or Canon....

Or that Sony shouldn't bother with their new EVIL format.

By that sense, then Apple should discontinue OS X as they can't compete against Microsoft Windows... ;)

If you build it, they will come... :)

El Cabong

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2008
Yes, saying that Olympus is going to discontinue 4/3 DSLR's is like saying that Pentax should discontinue their K-Mount format since neither can compete against Nikon or Canon....

Or that Sony shouldn't bother with their new EVIL format.

By that sense, then Apple should discontinue OS X as they can't compete against Microsoft Windows... ;)

If you build it, they will come... :)

Nice try.

Pentax doesn't have a new and improved (and down the road more economical) version of the K-Mount (nor a compelling reason to create one) to replace it. If it did, it would discontinue it, just as camera makers (Pentax included) discontinued using screw mounts in favor of bayonet mounts around the 1960s-70s.

Saying that Sony shouldn't go ahead with EVIL is not analogous to saying that Olympus will stop making 4/3 DSLRs. The appropriate comparison would be to say that Sony should go ahead with EVIL and stop making its Alpha DSLRs. If you're going to try to mock me, at least read what you (not to mention what I) write more carefully.

As far as Apple, maybe you've never heard of a little thing called OS 9. (Hint: you won't find it at an Apple Store.)

"If you build it, they will come" may sound nice, but adages have a funny way of having exceptions, due to being overly simplistic. Consider all of the stores that shut down in the wake of new Wal-Marts. I guess the quote could be amended to "If you build it (bigger and more recently and with reduced operating cost), they will come (to you but not to what your competitors built)." Or take the former Detroit Lions stadium that cost $55.7 million to build in 1975, which recently sold for around $500 grand... to Canadians. Or the nearly empty airport operating in Johnstown, PA. Too many examples to name, here. The point is that just because something sounds good or is paraphrased for/from a Kevin Costner movie, it doesn't have to be true.

However, Dry Land really is a myth.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.