Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jeffy.dee-lux

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 19, 2003
montreal
(they gotta establish a catchier name for this kind of camera!)

I was surprised to not see any posts here about this new camera from Sony. I'm really interested in this type of camera: large sensor, swappable lenses, without the bulk associated with an optical viewfinder and a mirror. This is clearly the smallest one yet, significantly smaller than the Panasonic GF1 or the Olympus EPL-1, although it definitely gives up on external controls, requiring a fair amount of on screen menu navigation.

nex5vsGF1.jpg

inhand.jpg

Here's a good hands on preview:
http://www.dpreview.com/previews/sonynex5/

Personally i'd prefer a camera with more external controls, give me some tangible control dials, two of em please! But it's still cool to see this market segment grow. Looking forward to see what Canon and Nikon will throw into this segment eventually. I currently shoot with a Canon SX200 compact super zoom that gives plenty of manual control, and the clinching feature for me was an assignable control dial.

emorydunn

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2006
Austin Texas
I've got to say, there's something about how that camera looks that really intrigues me. I guess it's that fact that is really doesn't look like a traditional SLR. I like it.

As for the name, there's another thread calling it EVIL (Electronic Viewfinder, Interchangeable Lens).

pukifloyd

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
Scottsdale
These look really fantastic. What kind of lens mount do they have?

I wonder when they'll be available at Best Buy...got to try one...

EDIT: Just read...its a different kind of lens mount...but there are adapters available which will make it compatible with sony alpha mount lens. Sweet!

TH3D4RKKN1GH7

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
I'm fine without all the dials, as long as the menu system is snappy and intuitive. I did a small blog post on these cameras and their new camcorder coming this fall, on my website. The "Big Sensor, Little Body" revolution is here and in full effect.

fiercetiger224

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004
I'll pass, no full frame sensor.

Haha you want a full frame sensor in a camera that small? :rolleyes:

But anyway, seems like an excellent small camera with DSLR quality images. Technically it is a DSLR, but in my book it isn't. ;) APS-C sensor for a camera this small is amazing.

ComputersaysNo

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2010
Amsterdam
I really want a small, affordable camera with a fullframe sensor. The Leica M9 is a little far out of my league. I want something stealthy with the DOF of a fullframe sensor.

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
As for the name, there's another thread calling it EVIL (Electronic Viewfinder, Interchangeable Lens).

they're too caught up in the idea of the rumored Canon entry. there is no viewfinder on the Sonys.

I'd rather have a GF1.

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
I want something from Canon, or Nikon. Sony's lack of physical controls just wouldn't work for me - I want dials damnit. Full frame doesn't bother me overly, as long as they produce a decent selection of wide angle lenses.

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
Strangely enough, I don't get the `want-one vibe' at all. The user interface is that of a toyish P&S. Thank you, but no thank you. The m4/3 cameras are much more intriguing, although I wish they had a larger selection of primes.

bigjnyc

macrumors G3
Apr 10, 2008
I'm going to buy one of these when they are released. I am not a professional photographer and I am not familiar with all the terminology and different lenses and such. I have used P&S cameras all my life and recently became interested in a DSLR, just so I can take better personal pictures on vacation and at events. When I saw this camera I thought this was perfect for me its much better than a P&S but still dumbed down enough for someone like me to understand and take good pictures. Maybe later on I can get a real DSLR but for now this is a great stepping stone for someone in my position.

El Cabong

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2008
In their review, the Imaging Resource calls it an SLD (Single-Lens, Direct-view). I think it's a good alternative.

The EVIL thread, in case anyone cares.

gødspeed

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2009
Oregon
Haha you want a full frame sensor in a camera that small? :rolleyes:
And you can get one: http://en.leica-camera.com/photography/m_system/m9/
... for $9000. But I don't think it will be long before manufacturers that don't grossly overprice their products come out with similar models.

But anyway, seems like an excellent small camera with DSLR quality images. Technically it is a DSLR, but in my book it isn't. ;) APS-C sensor for a camera this small is amazing.
It's not a DSLR -- not technically, not practically, simply not at all. That's why it's so small: it doesn't have a mechanical mirror system.

bigjnyc

macrumors G3
Apr 10, 2008
Excuse my camera noobishness but how would you zoom with this camera? It doesnt seem to have a button for zooming like other cameras? Is zooming done with the lens on DSLR's? or does this camera not support zooming in and out :confused:

El Cabong

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2008
Excuse my camera noobishness [...]

Zooming is done with the lens on any camera; the lenses in compact cameras tend to be built-in. Some compacts, such as the Sigma DP series, have fixed lenses. SLR lenses are likewise divided into zooms and primes.

designguy79

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2009
Michigan
Technically it is a DSLR, but in my book it isn't.

Ummm... you realize that DSLR stands for "digital single-lens reflex", right?

Since these have no mirror, they are technically not DSLRs.

It will be very interesting to see how these change the product offerings of other manufacturers.

Jett0516

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2010
now how will us guys carry that thing around? with that lens it def. can't fit into our shirt pocket.

gatepc

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2008
Pittsburgh PA
It is a really interesting camera. I shot with the A200 and love it, I don't think this camera would be a replacement for me but maybe a small backup camera or something. I love that it will work with my current lenses with an adapter ( granted I don't really have any good lenses ).

firestarter

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2002
Green and pleasant land
I think Sony has failed with this one.

What do folk want from a large sensor interchangeable lens camera, over and above what a high end point and shoot would give you?

- Low light performance?
Sony's fastest lens is a 2.8. Not great for low light.

- Depth of field control for portraits?
Sony's fastest tele lens is the 18-55, which is f5.6 at the long end. No low DOF portraits...

- Control?
No manual controls directly on the camera, everything is via menus.

- Good, realistic colour response.
No 'flat' colour profile, have to choose between creative modes using the menu system.

- Portable high quality HD video?
No manual controls or AE lock.

- The centre of an expandable system, using a choice of flash guns
Good luck with that - Sony have a custom flash mount and only one flash gun available.

Sony seem to have looked at every complaint and 'lesson learned' from other manufacturer's EVIL and DSLR video offerings and ignored them all. Looks pretty - but it's a triumph of marketing over engineering.

TH3D4RKKN1GH7

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
I think Sony has failed with this one.

What do folk want from a large sensor interchangeable lens camera, over and above what a high end point and shoot would give you?

- Low light performance?
Sony's fastest lens is a 2.8. Not great for low light.

- Depth of field control for portraits?
Sony's fastest tele lens is the 18-55, which is f5.6 at the long end. No low DOF portraits...

- Control?
No manual controls directly on the camera, everything is via menus.

- Good, realistic colour response.
No 'flat' colour profile, have to choose between creative modes using the menu system.

- Portable high quality HD video?
No manual controls or AE lock.

- The centre of an expandable system, using a choice of flash guns
Good luck with that - Sony have a custom flash mount and only one flash gun available.

Sony seem to have looked at every complaint and 'lesson learned' from other manufacturer's EVIL and DSLR video offerings and ignored them all. Looks pretty - but it's a triumph of marketing over engineering.

The camera isn't even officially out for the public yet, it's not like they cant produce more lenses, which I remember hearing them say they were. Manual controls can be added via firmware a la Canon 5D Mark II, if enough people complain of course.

Everything else...yeah...

firestarter

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2002
Green and pleasant land
The camera isn't even officially out for the public yet, it's not like they cant produce more lenses, which I remember hearing them say they were.

Sure, in 6 to 12 months.

Manual controls can be added via firmware a la Canon 5D Mark II, if enough people complain of course.

That's my point. The EOS 5DII folk screamed for months about the lack of manual control, and Canon finally added it. I just think it's dumb that Sony haven't learned from Canon's experience!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.