Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigjnyc

macrumors G3
Apr 10, 2008
Sony seem to have looked at every complaint and 'lesson learned' from other manufacturer's EVIL and DSLR video offerings and ignored them all. Looks pretty - but it's a triumph of marketing over engineering.

Kind of like Apple:p

runlsd

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2009
There are some test shots of the Nex-5 circulating around that more or less killed the hype of the system. The links I saw those pictures in, however, did not indicate whether those test shots were taken with the pre-release models or not.

One thing the NEX-5 did excel in is its ISO performance. 1080p HD video should come in handy as well but only if autofocus works well unlike the Olympus EP-1 before the firmware update.

I feel like the size difference between the NEX and other MFTs and NX10 is irrelevant. Unless it is significantly smaller (ie. pocketable), the difference in size may compromise handling. Am I the only one who finds the GF1/EP1 more attractive in terms of form factor? NEX looks funny with the small body and a (comparatively) huge lens. Different strokes for different folks, I s'pose.

No one can be a fair judge of these interchangeable lens cameras until the NEX-5 comes out and is formally tested.. There are previews and reviews available by gadget geeks but I've found too many of them biased to be reliable.

Anyway, if you already own the GF1 or EP1 or other interchangeable lens camera/MFTs, don't second guess your choice and enjoy your fine piece of photographic technology.

dazey

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2005
I really want a small, affordable camera with a fullframe sensor. The Leica M9 is a little far out of my league. I want something stealthy with the DOF of a fullframe sensor.
Me too. Have a D3 and bought a EP2 as a walkaround camera and its really let down by its sensor for me.

dazey

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2005
I
- Low light performance?
Sony's fastest lens is a 2.8. Not great for low light.

- Depth of field control for portraits?
Sony's fastest tele lens is the 18-55, which is f5.6 at the long end. No low DOF portraits...

Of course their direct competition (micro four thirds) does not do much better and has been around a lot longer to develop lenses. Olympus does not make a lens faster than 2.8 although if you want to pay full wack for it then you can use the panasonic 20mm f1.7 but this is not long enough for portraits. Of course you can use legacy lenses but this will be possible with the sony too. Sony is completely let down by lack of manual controls but the cameras they have launched are clearly not aimed at that segment on the market. There is rumoured to be a version with more controls in future, time will tell if it actually turns up.

hipsigti

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2009
I have a nex-3 18to55 lens and i am impressed with the quality of pics and it shoots 7fps full auto or manual control. i also have a d5000 and they are very close in quality but i enjoy shooting the nex-3 more to be honest and the control menu isnt as bad as the reviews from cnet make it. very fun camera too shoot for sure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.