Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

z970

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2017
@micahgartman That would certainly be a welcome gesture. However, I'd prefer any financial contributions be made only after the final product has been released, so that you can more accurately judge the project's value as a whole, being in a completed state.

I appreciate the sentiment though.

Last edited:

originaldotexe

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2020
Kentucky
ohhhhh my goodness, now that is an announcement i did not expect, to say the least.

here's a question: do you think it will be possible to fix the graphical lag/slowdown with the radeon 9600 pro in this? my MDD feels very sluggish and laggy on leopard compared to tiger due to that slowdown. i installed the ati drivers and radeon rom xtender and all that but it's still quite slow.

EDIT: i would also like to help beta test if i can, i have a g5 quad, g5 DP 2.3ghz, and g4 mdd, all of which are plenty fast enough for leopard.

z970

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2017
@originaldotexe Odd ... I've never noticed any significant graphical slowdown in Leopard on my MDD when it had a 9600 ... Although granted, the times it was booted into Leopard were sparse, and maybe I simply wasn't paying attention when it was. Either way, this will certainly be a matter to discuss further in the future.

Perfect. I will include you in the coordination thread when enough has been assembled for a first build to be distributed, which I expect to be the case hopefully by the end of the month.

Looking forward to the final result. :)

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
@z970mp
What about copyrights, licenses and all such things?

If you're talking about optimisation stuff like from Onyx, ShadowKiller and Secrets, all the magic they do is reproducible with Terminal commands which are readily available on the web - everything can be condensed into one bash script - a hour or so copy and pasting :)
So no copyright infringement with those.

Last edited:

z970

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2017
@Tratkazir_the_1st Quite honestly, I could ask the same about Mac OS 9 Lives' Universal Installer, ClassiX, SL-PPC, Mountain Leopard, LeopardRebirth, and a grand chunk of Macintosh Garden (not to mention everything at Macintosh Repository, and they even deal in $). The fact that these are all labors of love made in earnest for long since wholly abandoned software rather than financially lucrative endeavors further adds to our defense.

And some of those examples have been available for so long, Apple must know about their existence by now. Therefore, I'm also inclined to believe that they do take that last point into account and thus presently seem to respect that being the case.

Still, there are measures that can be taken to "correct" the project into a more agreeable format in the very unlikely event a DMCA does come around ... so don't worry. :)

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018
@z970mp
What about copyrights, licenses and all such things?
As Dronecatcher mentioned terminal commands can be used, but really I don't think Apple really cares anymore about copyright and license of a very "old", but useful operating system and I for one don't care what they think. I think Sorbert 10.5 is a an excellent idea and I support this fully.

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018
Flying under the radar like macintoshgarden - this is a community thing - no one's making a profit from such things.
As stated earlier, I don't think Apple gives a damn about Leopard or older OS'es, so its fine to reverse engineer them for personal use which I fully support if it means survival.

z970

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2017
Sorbet Leopard Development - Feature Showcase #1

Periodic Assurance

Picture 1.png

Mac OS X ships by default with passively run system maintenance scripts inherited from FreeBSD that are designed to reduce system bloat caused by automatically generated log files, caches, and temporary files, thereby maintaining optimal performance. Unfortunately however, the built-in maintenance scripts rarely ever get to do their job due to most users' machines being turned off during the times they are set to run by default, in the process allowing the aforementioned junk data to accumulate over time and slow the system down.

To solve this problem, Periodic Assurance works by autonomously running the FreeBSD maintenance scripts shortly after boot to ensure that the system is free of excess log files, temporary caches, and general clutter at all times. This results in faster application launch times, a smaller system footprint, and potentially less visual clutter while browsing through the file system. And thanks to it being a Launch Daemon, it integrates with the rest of the system more seamlessly than a traditional shell script would.

PowerfulEra

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2017
I know its not a priority and many people see it as needless but would it be possible to create a launchpad for our beloved PowerPC Macs? As far as i can recall SourceSomTom did create a working launchpad and semi working very early siri for intented to be in 1.3. Sadly they didn't saw light of day. That's one of the things i hope a madlad to create to release it to public for our machines lol

AdamBuker

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2018
I know its not a priority and many people see it as needless but would it be possible to create a launchpad for our beloved PowerPC Macs? As far as i can recall SourceSomTom did create a working launchpad and semi working very early siri for intented to be in 1.3. Sadly they didn't saw light of day. That's one of the things i hope a madlad to create to release it to public for our machines lol
You might try using Bevy. It's lightweight and relatively quick even on a G4 Powerbook. It's not quite the same as Launchpad, but it still works well for quick app launching. My only complaint is that it doesn't statically display application names.

Reactions: netsrot39

PowerfulEra

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2017
Yeah bevy is a good alternative to launchpad. Used it for a while but it's too complicated and time consuming compared to launchpad or even putting the applications folder on the dock which is easier and usable compared to it at least from my pov.

z970

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2017
@PowerfulEra A proper Launchpad replacement on par with Apple's implementation in OS X 10.7+ would be outside the scope of this project, unfortunately.

z970

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2017
Sorbet Leopard Development - Feature Showcase #2

Utility Scripts

Picture 1.png

Suppose the user wants to view hidden files in Finder, customize the Dock appearance, or turn off certain background services, all of which are trivial tasks to accomplish in Windows and Linux environments for equivalent applications. Rather than take the time to attempt searching the Internet for cryptic terminal commands to input manually each time the user wishes to modify something not made apparent in the vanilla system, Sorbet Leopard's built-in Utility Scripts (tentative) presents all these options and more front and center in a streamlined and accessible manner, so that users may be spared the trouble altogether should they wish to make advanced changes to their system.

In Sorbet Leopard, Utility Scripts can be used on-the-fly to instantaneously toggle the status of Spotlight, system-wide ad blocking, and much more; all without rebooting, so you can configure everything and reduce downtime, at the same time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.