Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacPro2006VBox

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2014
@r34per Hmm ... The PCI Radeon 9250 is not a Core Image-supported card. Would you have anything else available?

He’s probably running a Yikes!, which is only PCI due to it being on the Blue and White G3’s platform. Thus Quartz extreme is disabled as is CoreImage.

z970

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2017
@MacPro2006VBox I thought he said it was a Sawtooth though, which has an AGP port in addition to 3 PCI slots? This would render it fully capable of both QE and CI.

Leopard is a very graphically intensive OS, that as has been said here before, runs better on even a low-end CI card than a high-end non-CI card. Although Sorbet Leopard is configured to tax the CPU dramatically less, it raises its dependence on the GPU in a couple key areas. So my concern is that although it will run on an unsupported machine no problem, it might not perform very well because of this, potentially to an even greater degree than vanilla Leopard.

Then again, I suppose there is an argument for testing unsupported machines so that the resulting behavior is at least known prior to release.

MacPro2006VBox

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2014
@MacPro2006VBox I thought he said it was a Sawtooth though, which has an AGP port in addition to 3 PCI slots? This would render it fully capable of both QE and CI.

Leopard is a very graphically intensive OS, that as has been said here before, runs better on even a low-end CI card than a high-end non-CI card. Although Sorbet Leopard is configured to tax the CPU dramatically less, it raises its dependence on the GPU in a couple key areas. So my concern is that although it will run on an unsupported machine no problem, it might not perform very well because of this, potentially to an even greater degree than vanilla Leopard.

Then again, I suppose there is an argument for testing unsupported machines so that the resulting behavior is at least known prior to release.

Quartz Extreme is disabled by default on PCI video cards on PowerPC Macs.

r34per

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2020

Correct, it has an agp slot. I needed a card with dual monitor support and a 9250 was what i had on hand to flash and throw in it. Otherwise I have a PCIe 2ghz DC powermac g5 with a 6600le(though im sure you've that covered already). I did order an agp 6200 off ebay to be used in my sawtooth though.

MacPro2006VBox

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2014
Correct, it has an agp slot. I needed a card with dual monitor support and a 9250 was what i had on hand to flash and throw in it. Otherwise I have a PCIe 2ghz DC powermac g5 with a 6600le(though im sure you've that covered already). I did order an agp 6200 off ebay to be used in my sawtooth though.

I wish I had something better than the FX 5200 Ultra for my G5. I’d also need a PCI video card for graphics acceleration for Clouded Leopard (10.6 10a96), as AGP is nonfunctional in terms of acceleration.

Reactions: B S Magnet

z970

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2017
Quartz Extreme is disabled by default on PCI video cards on PowerPC Macs.

I'm well aware. However, it is enabled by default on AGP and PCIe video cards, of which Sawtooth machines are capable of the former, and thus, QE / CI. Hence, my very reasonable question of whether there was another (preferably AGP-based) video card available to use.

I wish I had something better than the FX 5200 Ultra for my G5. I’d also need a PCI video card for graphics acceleration for Clouded Leopard (10.6 10a96), as AGP is nonfunctional in terms of acceleration.

And that's why Clouded Leopard is a proof-of-concept, not a rock-solid workhorse compatible with all usages. Granted, I commend the immense persistence, ingenuity, and teamwork of the people working on that project, there's no contest nor competitor there. But the elephant in the room that no one wants to acknowledge is that it's still a buggy and quickly abandoned early alpha of a mostly closed-source OS - with spotty software support to boot. In truth, until its installation and day-to-day use is made as both effortless and seamless as Apple's official releases, no one, outside of tinkerers and software technicians, is going to use it for purposes other than as a passing novelty. Nor have they thus far, it seems.

-

Returning back to the topic at hand, @r34per, if you really want to test drive the development builds of Sorbet Leopard in advance, your feedback alone on the performance improvements and UX enhancements would be valuable enough. And I have to admit, it would probably be a good idea to understand exactly what effect Sorbet's heightened dependency on the GPU has on weaker cards ahead of time, if at least in order to go forward with an increased perspective on hardware support, which is always good to have.

So whatever the machine you choose to toss it on, if you're still interested, I can add you in following this premise. Although I'm of course just confirming before I do.

Last edited:

r34per

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2020
@z970mp
Sure, please go on ahead and add me! I've quite a few ppc machines i could test it on other than just my sawtooth. And as i previously said i'm going to be upgrading the card in it with an agp 6200, which is coreimage supported

MacFoxG4

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2019
Looking forward to trying this out when it releases. I put the Geforce 6200 back in my 1.5ghz Sawtooth, so I should be able to run it.

z970

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2017
Sorbet Leopard Development - Feature Showcase #3

Snow Leopard Components

Picture 2.png

Sorbet Leopard ships with every desktop background included by default in Snow Leopard (and then some). In addition, given that most of the pictures included in retail 10.6.8 are actually smaller in size than those that shipped with 10.5.8, changing between desktop backgrounds should be slightly more responsive than it was in 10.5.8 (another sly move on Apple's part to increase performance in that operation, making it appear as if the OS itself was faster than it actually is).

Sorbet Leopard also ships with the updated user pictures featured in retail 10.6.8, meaning a greater breadth of options, and an even closer set of similarities between the two. Not only that, nearly all fonts shipped with 10.6.8 have replaced the default 10.5.8 fonts, all screensavers have been updated, and Dictionary.app now reflects the same answers and definitions as its equivalent in 10.6.8. All without a hitch.

And as if that wasn't enough, newer, lighter versions of the Dashboard, Expose, Front Row, Spaces, and Time Machine launchers have been pulled directly from 10.6.8 to replace their counterparts in 10.5.8. They are all fully PowerPC-compatible applications, and run flawlessly to boot.

When combined with the default 10.6-esque aesthetic and built-in performance enhancements, these transplants hands down allow the system to more accurately represent an alternate universe scenario where Apple officially released the retail edition of Snow Leopard for the PowerPC architecture instead of canning it before it ever began.

-

Mac OS X Sorbet Leopard will be released to the public on October 30, 2021.

Last edited:

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK

Snow Leopard Components

View attachment 1860995

Sorbet Leopard ships with every desktop background included by default in Snow Leopard. In addition, given that most of the pictures included in retail 10.6.8 are actually smaller in size than those that shipped with 10.5.8, changing between desktop backgrounds should be slightly more responsive than it was in 10.5.8 (perhaps another sly move on Apple's part to increase performance in that operation, making it appear that the OS itself is faster than it actually is).

Sorbet Leopard also ships with the updated user pictures featured in retail 10.6.8, meaning a greater breadth of options, and an even closer set of similarities between the two. Not only that, nearly all fonts shipped with 10.6.8 have replaced the default 10.5.8 fonts, all screensavers have been updated, and Dictionary.app now reflects the same answers and definitions as its equivalent in 10.6.8.

When combined with the updated binaries and built-in performance enhancements, these transplants hands down allow the system to more accurately represent an alternate universe scenario where Apple officially released the retail edition of Snow Leopard for the PowerPC architecture instead of canning it before it ever began.

-

Excellent, and thanks for all your hard work :)

Be prepared for a heavy download session once released ;)

Cheers :)

Hugh

Reactions: z970

MacFoxG4

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2019

Snow Leopard Components

View attachment 1860995

Sorbet Leopard ships with every desktop background included by default in Snow Leopard (and then some). In addition, given that most of the pictures included in retail 10.6.8 are actually smaller in size than those that shipped with 10.5.8, changing between desktop backgrounds should be slightly more responsive than it was in 10.5.8 (another sly move on Apple's part to increase performance in that operation, making it appear as if the OS itself was faster than it actually is).

Sorbet Leopard also ships with the updated user pictures featured in retail 10.6.8, meaning a greater breadth of options, and an even closer set of similarities between the two. Not only that, nearly all fonts shipped with 10.6.8 have replaced the default 10.5.8 fonts, all screensavers have been updated, and Dictionary.app now reflects the same answers and definitions as its equivalent in 10.6.8. All without a hitch.

When combined with the updated binaries and built-in performance enhancements, these transplants hands down allow the system to more accurately represent an alternate universe scenario where Apple officially released the retail edition of Snow Leopard for the PowerPC architecture instead of canning it before it ever began.

-

Excellent! :D
Looking forward to it!
Thanks for all the hard work that you do.

Reactions: z970

MysticCow

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2013
Thank you for this fish! :D

Just a small feature request--could the install eventually include a version of 10.6's MRJava? Long story short, there's a few apps that require this library that I have, so it's purely for selfish reasons.

barracuda156

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2021
And that's why Clouded Leopard is a proof-of-concept, not a rock-solid workhorse compatible with all usages. Granted, I commend the immense persistence, ingenuity, and teamwork of the people working on that project, there's no contest nor competitor there. But the elephant in the room that no one wants to acknowledge is that it's still a buggy and quickly abandoned early alpha of a mostly closed-source OS - with spotty software support to boot. In truth, until its installation and day-to-day use is made as both effortless and seamless as Apple's official releases, no one, outside of tinkerers and software technicians, is going to use it for purposes other than as a passing novelty. Nor have they thus far, it seems.

10.6 PPC is working. There are problems with compiling some newer stuff for it, but those will be same if not worse in a case of 10.5.

Finder got slight issues, but I hope to dig out PathFinder for PowerPC, and then Finder is redundant.

Nevertheless 10.5.9 is an interesting thing to try, I will install it once available.

z970

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2017
Sorbet Leopard Development - Feature Showcase #4

Performance Optimization

Picture 3.png

Picture 2.png

Top: Leopard (10.5.8) resource consumption immediately following a fresh boot

Bottom: Sorbet Leopard (10.5.9) resource consumption immediately following a fresh boot

Picture 2.png

Picture 1.png

Sorbet Leopard comes with a selection of frivolous and / or redundant background applications and daemons disabled by default, significantly freeing idle system CPU and RAM usage. This allows the OS to better prioritize focusing all hardware resources into the application at hand, whether it be in rendering a modern Web page, drawing high resolution images, playing back HD video, or in calculating 3D graphics alike, without even the slightest sacrifice of stability.

In addition, to increase graphical performance across the board, Apple's implementation of V-Sync has been disabled by default (reducing the preexisting load on the GPU), and QuartzGL is now leveraged by a handful of key system applications in order to offload more processing to the GPU rather than the CPU. All together, these adjustments are combined to make for a nimbler and more responsive environment overall.

Last edited:

barracuda156

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2021
Sorbet Leopard Development - Feature Showcase #4

Performance Optimization

View attachment 1868251
View attachment 1868252

Top: Leopard (10.5.8) resource consumption immediately following a fresh boot

Bottom: Sorbet Leopard (10.5.9) resource consumption immediately following a fresh boot

View attachment 1868253
View attachment 1868254

Sorbet Leopard comes with a selection of frivolous and / or redundant background applications and daemons disabled by default, significantly freeing idle system CPU and RAM usage. This allows the OS to better prioritize focusing all hardware resources into the application at hand, whether it be in rendering a modern Web page, drawing high resolution images, playing back HD video, or in calculating 3D graphics alike, all without even the slightest sacrifice of stability.

Is it actually available to try at the moment?

z970

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2017
@MysticCow As the image size will need to be able to fit within an 8 GB drive, additional inclusions must be kept to an absolute minimum, unfortunately.

@barracuda156 Incremental development builds of Sorbet Leopard have been made accessible for volunteer beta testers to benchmark, analyze, and provide feedback on for some while at this point. Currently, the project is in its final stages and thus very close to completion, so I would now recommend waiting until release.

@Hughmac At this point, I find these silly online factions over freely-available hobbyist endeavors rather humorous more than anything.

And yes, I'm including my prior critique of SL-PPC together with that assessment too. One can laugh at their own actions, and in doing so, disown the ego which plagues us all.

alectrona6400

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2019
looking forward to reinvigorate my eMac with this. leopard runs fine on a 1.92 G4 but god does it show its issues sometimes... would also be nice to run this on my G5 if i ever get it up again. (RIP that beauty of a PPC mac.)

Reactions: Amethyst1

barracuda156

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2021
@MysticCow As the image size will need to be able to fit within an 8 GB drive, additional inclusions must be kept to an absolute minimum, unfortunately.

@barracuda156 Incremental development builds of Sorbet Leopard have been made accessible for volunteer beta testers to benchmark, analyze, and provide feedback on for some while at this point. Currently, the project is in its final stages and thus very close to completion, so I would now recommend waiting until release.

Thanks, sure.

Melchieor

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2021
No. At present it is vapourware. Evidently, this will change around the end of this month. Regardless, there is no “OS X Leopard 10.5.9”, as Apple never went beyond 10.5.8.
Definitely not vaporware as I have tested it on the dev forums.

s4mb4r4m4

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2021
Also keen on this! I have a final model/top spec PB G4 12" (1.5/1.25/120GB SSD/FX5200) that I'd love to keep on the bleeding edge of PPC.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.