Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Feek

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 9, 2009
JO01
I've got five HomePod minis and a stereo pair of full sized HomePods. On just one of the minis, if I ask it to play anything via Apple Music, Siri says "Sorry, there was a problem with Apple Music".

I've signed out and back in again through the HomePod, I've done a reset and reconfigured it but it's exactly the same. It's configured identically to all the other HomePods in the house.

I've tried setting a primary user, I've tried leaving it as the HomePod Account for the primary user.

Does anyone have any idea why this might be happening? I've only had it a couple of weeks and I don't think it's ever worked. The other minis were delivered at the same time and were set up at the same time but they're all OK.

If I ask for a weather forecast, it works so it is able to access the internet.

Thanks.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
try rebooting your router and wifi, Just for fun I'd reboot at least that one HomePod, so all of the devices are powered off at the same time.

most of the time when siri on HomePod has a "can't find it" problem it's network related, even when other things on that same HomePod are working fine.

if that doesn't work, try changing the IP address of the HomePod, you will probably have to give it a static IP in the router. once it's renegotiated all of it's network settings, you can change back to the old IP, or just remove the static entry if you want.

Reactions: mikelets456

Feek

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 9, 2009
JO01
I've done all of those already except change the IP of the HomePod mini that's struggling. All my devices use reserved addresses so I've just unreserved that one, will delete the lease, reboot and try again.

Feek

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 9, 2009
JO01
Nope, it's got a new IP address and it's still the same.

It's only Apple Music that's the issue, everything else works.

Feek

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 9, 2009
JO01
OK, this is very strange.

"Hey Siri, play Dark Side of The Moon"
"Now Playing The Dark Side of the Moon 2011 remastered by Pink Floyd. Sorry, there was a problem with Apple Music"

"Hey Siri, play the album Wish you Were Here"
"Playing Wish You Were Here 2011 remastered by Pink Floyd. Sorry, there was a problem with Apple Music"

"Hey Siri, play The Wall"
"Here's The Wall by Pink Floyd. Sorry, there was a problem with Apple Music"

"Hey Siri, play Alchemy live"
"Now playing Alchemy live by Dire Strats"

*Siri plays Alchemy live*

What the actual hell is going on here?

Further investigation shows this is ALL my HomePods, not just one of them.

This is a new problem. All my family are Pink Floyd fans, we play a lot of Pink Floyd music, it's only started happening in the last few days. I've confirmed my Apple One account is live and active.

/edit - Looks like I'm not the only one: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252339056

chas_m

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2016
I had this problem earlier today, and solved it by turning the VPN service off on my Mac. I was NOT AirPlaying from the Mac, but apparently my HomePods use the Mac to verify my Apple ID or something, and the VPN was blocking that.

just in case any others having this issue have a VPN running in one of their devices.

jkeitz

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2018
I have the same problem with a different wrinkle. HomePods will play anything I ask for (well, it often plays something else other than what I asked for, but that’s just Siri as usual), but when my wife asks for a song, she gets the exact same response: “ok, now playing [song]… there was a problem with Apple Music.”

The only solution I have found is I ask for the song and we get it, which is great when I’m home.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.