Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
I fully agree on the receiver + good separates as that is my own setup. I also happen to have some Sonos stuff in other rooms standing in for situations where HPs could be. One of those is an Arc, which is why I can assure it sounds surprisingly good.

Arc retail is in the $700-$900 range but I've seen it for as low as $569 in their refurb store. $569 is not such a huge stretch above the $350 OP references as budget. Much of my first post talks to the idea of speakers having a useful life of far longer than stuff he presumably buys from Apple (else why is he asking for help here)... and thus talking up the idea of shifting a little Apple premium towards this purchase so he can buy a great one instead of a cheap one. Since Arc is generally the best-rated soundbar out there per many sources, if OP wants a soundbar, it's only $219 more than his stated budget if he watches for one of those $569 opportunities.

If you read the seventh & eighth word of OPs post, they are "sound bar," following "I’m looking for an inexpensive (sub-$350)..." I basically ignored the $350 part and made a little case for saving up a bit more for such a long useful life purchase. It's up to OP if he wants to do that or not. If not, there are many other posts with good options in which he can keep it around that level and get a NOT top-rated soundbar plus wireless sub plus rears if he wants. Again, post #14 seems best fit if budget is rigid.

With OP posting in an Apple forum where we are all accustomed to paying hefty premiums for Apple tech that Apple will vintage/obsolete in less than HALF the time that speakers should still be useful, I thought it was worth offering some suggestion to budget for this like he budgets for Apple stuff... and pay up like he probably pays up for Apple stuff.

That offered, I fully support what- IMO- is best option of at least a 5.1 setup (3 separate speakers up front and 2 behind with a subwoofer) powered by a good (ideally great) receiver. In a tight money situation, start with a receiver and the front 3 and add the rest when possible. I have no doubt that some good separates will outperform any soundbar but that's what he says he wants.

chadamorrill

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2007
Orlando, FL
:eek: they are fantastic for music not movies.
I assume you mean the HPs are "fantastic for music not movies."

Again, my Sonos Beam had nothing to bounce its sound off of on the left side, so sound went to the dead space in the middle of the family room and kitchen, not to me sitting in front of the TV. In this regard, two HPs in a stereo pair are FAR better for everything. In no way am I saying Sonos is bad... just wasn't good for me in my room. Not worth my money.

With the HPs, anyone in my house with an Apple device can send music to them and the minis in the kitchen and any other HP/mini in the house. Yes the Beam also had Airplay 2. No, it didn't work as well or as consistently.

Again, my experience, my house, my opinion. The HPs are MORE THAN ADEQUATE for music and TV and movies and don't push the OPs budget too terribly much.

AL2TEACH

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2007
North Las Vegas, NV.
I assume you mean the HPs are "fantastic for music not movies."
I don't know about the Sonos Beam but the Arc (with rears)does movies well but does music better. HPs, they do music really well, I can only speak of the OG not the new one. I think the HPs would be better than a single soundbar. I guess it all depends on what sound you want. The missing left wall was not an issue for the Beam because you now have something better.

chadamorrill

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2007
Orlando, FL
I don't know about the Sonos Beam but the Arc (with rears)does movies well but does music better. HPs, they do music really well, I can only speak of the OG not the new one. I think the HPs would be better than a single soundbar. I guess it all depends on what sound you want. The missing left wall was not an issue for the Beam because you now have something better.
I can say with certainty that an Arc with 2x Rears (when they all connect and play nice) will sound better than 2 HP's in a stereo pair. But... you're talking 3 speakers for $1300 (MSRP) compared with 2 speakers and $600, and I'm not sure that's a fair comparison. I'd be less sure than the Sonos setup is better than 4x HP with each in a stereo pair playing the same thing over Airplay 2. And I'd save you $100. Just saying. ;)

When we host gatherings in our house, I'll put my OG Homepod in the bar, and a single Mini in the dining room, then throw the same music on those two + the stereo Mini combos in the family room and kitchen, and it is truly amazing. sound everywhere. It's incredible.

Nikhil72

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2005
On the topic of Sonos vs HPs. I have an Arc and sub, and 2 gen 2 HPs. I live in a NYC condo with very thick walls and floors, but still with the obvious noise limits vs a freestanding house.

I’d say the Arc definitely has the upper hand on volume. The HPs on their own get plenty loud and for TV, I find I need nothing more than 67% volume, about 50% on the arc. For music, the HPs at 35-40% with sound check enabled is more than plenty before I can hear it obnoxiously in the hallway. The Arc+sub combo is explosive and dynamically impressive, BUT I find myself constantly having to hit the up and down volume button depending on the content because the sub, even at Sub level -2, can be overpoweringly rumbly. Again, in a freestanding house? fantastic, blast away. The HP bass has a sweet spot where it’s rumbly but since the woofers face upwards, I don’t find it as vibrational and also I find the dialogue to be clearer so I’m not altering volume much.

For surround, the Arc‘s upfiring speakers don’t do a lot in my apartment since we have ~15’ high ceilings. The HPs don’t do much for upfiring for me either but the 360 sound feels broader in soundscape than the Arc on its own; I have them spaced on a marble and walnut media cabinet about 4-ish feet apart underneath my 65” LG G1 OLED; on the right and left about 1 or 2 feet away from the edge of the cabinet is a taller wooden cabinet for sound to bounce off of rather than get lost in the open concept space.

tldr: Arc+sub (+/- rearrs) > 2 HPs > Arc alone and entirely depends on the setup of the space.

Note, I’m not fidgeting with a receiver and satellite speakers, etc., I just don’t care enough. I get excellent movie/tv/music sound from the HPs and find the system very seamless. I also have homekit blinds, lights switches, door lock, cameras, and thermostats which really helps regulate the house as well.

Reactions: chadamorrill

AL2TEACH

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2007
North Las Vegas, NV.
But... you're talking 3 speakers for $1300 (MSRP) compared with 2 speakers and $600
More like most soundbars with 2 rears in the range of $600 will have better sound for tv/Blu-ray Disc. I have 2 OG HPs and I hope they last because I luv em. I tried the HP for tv sound and quickly switched back to the Sony soundbar with 2 rears that costed $300 but that was a while ago. I've upgraded because tv/disc sound is important to me. I have the Sony HT-A9, it's between the soundbar and the speakers set up. Now, if Apple could to the HP what Sony did to the HT-A9 without crippling the HP with bad software that would be a wowser.

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2009
To op I’d also add that I understand The need to stick within a budget but I can vouch for some of other guys about longevity of audio equipiment. I have the original Sonos 5.1 from 2013 and it still sounds great and also Bose companion on my iMac from 2007ish and that’s still great.
so don’t be afraid to spend a bit more as you do get tremendous value for money in my opinion.

Reactions: HobeSoundDarryl

chadamorrill

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2007
Orlando, FL
More like most soundbars with 2 rears in the range of $600 will have better sound for tv/Blu-ray Disc. I have 2 OG HPs and I hope they last because I luv em. I tried the HP for tv sound and quickly switched back to the Sony soundbar with 2 rears that costed $300 but that was a while ago. I've upgraded because tv/disc sound is important to me. I have the Sony HT-A9, it's between the soundbar and the speakers set up. Now, if Apple could to the HP what Sony did to the HT-A9 without crippling the HP with bad software that would be a wowser.
You've changed the comparison mid-conversation. We were comparing Sonos and Apple, and now you've changed to to comparing Sony and Apple which is a different ballgame.

I'm glad the Sony works for you. Like @Nikhil72 said, there's often more to it than just home theater, and for that, the HPs work just fine for me. I'll take a slight audio hit if it helps control the rest of the smart-things and allows my family to use it without any input from me.

Reactions: AL2TEACH

AL2TEACH

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2007
North Las Vegas, NV.
We were comparing Sonos and Apple, and now you've changed to to comparing Sony and Apple
The only thing I know about Sonos is the Arc because there was a time when I considered getting it but changed because their strong point is music not movies. I changed it to the Sony because that was the soundbar in use when I tried the HPs as tv/movie speakers. The other point about the Sony's was only in relation to Apple doing to the HP what Sony did to the A9s.
I'm glad the Sony works for you.
Oh yeah, me to:D
I'll take a slight audio hit
HPs are great sounding without a doubt and like I stated before, I luv mine. However, for tv/movie sound the hit is more than slight but it all depends on what's good for ya.
control the rest of the smart-things
Yeah, I do luv how the HPs are in the ecosystem. I really hope Apple's future software for the HP does not hinder it like it did for the OG HPs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.