Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlbertoQuemada

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 16, 2017
Hi, I have a 2012 13inch MacBook Pro.
Some soy milk was spilled on the side of the computer, It seems to run perfectly but the screen now is like x ray or inverted colors.
Do you think the gnu is dead ?
Thanks for the help.

AlbertoQuemada

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 16, 2017
You must stop using the macbook, remove the bottom casing, disconnect the battery, and remove as many components as possible. Clean all of the affect areas with pure isopropyl alcohol, let it dry for a couple of more days, reassemble, and try it again.

The screen only got these colors if I move it, if it is still it looks normal more or less.
So I think it might be the screen.

i will let the Mac rest for two days.
Thanks

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
As the liquid sits against the board, the components will start to corrode.

I assume the liquid was not spilled on the screen itself; therefore, it is one of the internal components that is being affected when the Macbook is moved. This could also be an indication that liquid is moving around as you move the Macbook and causing a short circuit.

It's up to you how you deal with it. Better to take preventative action now IMHO.

Reactions: hobowankenobi

AlbertoQuemada

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 16, 2017
As the liquid sits against the board, the components will start to corrode.

I assume the liquid was not spilled on the screen itself; therefore, it is one of the internal components that is being affected when the Macbook is moved. This could also be an indication that liquid is moving around as you move the Macbook and causing a short circuit.

It's up to you how you deal with it. Better to take preventative action now IMHO.

the problem is that I don't have the screw drivers... so I will let it rest until I can open it. I hope it doesn't get worse

AlbertoQuemada

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 16, 2017
You are welcome.

I feel your pain as I went through a liquid spill on two different 13" early Macbook Air.

Hi, do you think this is a problem on the gpu or the screen?

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2018-06-07 at 00.33.26.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2018-06-07 at 00.33.26.jpeg
    318.3 KB · Views: 233
  • WhatsApp Image 2018-06-07 at 00.33.28.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2018-06-07 at 00.33.28.jpeg
    379.3 KB · Views: 195
  • WhatsApp Image 2018-06-07 at 00.34.35.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2018-06-07 at 00.34.35.jpeg
    197.7 KB · Views: 194

AlbertoQuemada

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 16, 2017
The gpu is integrated into the cpu; therefore, I think it is a problem with components on the logic board or connections on the logic board.

But I think it might be the screen because in the corners are signals of liquid and the rest of the screen works perfectly fine. so I hope is the screen and I can replace it.
tomorrow I will connect de Mac to a screen with thunderbolt so I can see if it is the gpu or screen

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
But I think it might be the screen because in the corners are signals of liquid and the rest of the screen works perfectly fine. so I hope is the screen and I can replace it.
tomorrow I will connect de Mac to a screen with thunderbolt so I can see if it is the gpu or screen
It's not the screen. You might luck out and have it work fine for a bit through thunderbolt if it is just the connections to the screen that are damaged rather than other parts of the logic board, but if it is not disassembled and cleaned components will corrode and it will get worse.

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Did you spill liquid on the screen too?

AlbertoQuemada

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 16, 2017
Screen is for a Core 2 duo, not a mid-2012 13" i5.

From the sale description: Compatibility- MacBook Pro 13" Unibody Core 2 Duo A1278 2009 and 2010 only

I just see it, but there are some for macbook 13 inch i5 for similar price

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.