Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

enrincon89

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 30, 2014
How is the Space Grey color on the MacBook holding up after 6 months to a year ?

andy9l

macrumors 68000
Aug 31, 2009
England, UK
Had mine 2 years (in a couple of weeks), and not a single blemish. Whilst I'm careful with it, I definitely don't treat it like my first born. Same with my Space Grey iPhones/iPads though.

Reactions: archi_130w1

southerndoc

Contributor
May 15, 2006
USA
Same as andy9l. Still in great shape minus a few scratches near the USB-C port from me trying to plug it up in next to no light conditions.

1madman1

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2013
Richmond, BC, Canada
Mine is just under two years and fairly heavily used. I've managed to avoid any dents or scratches even with the sometimes rough train trip to and from work, but the grey finish is starting to thin a little in parts - mostly on the bottom. It's actually doing better than I thought it would.

MyopicPaideia

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2011
Sweden
Similar results here! Mine is heavily used, it is my sole professional machine, and travels all over the place every day. Finish is still excellent, even though it is showing a little wear around the port, the finish itself is holding up very well. Don't notice any thinness or fading to it at all.

All my clients still comment on how sexy a machine it is - and how good my eyesight must be - I run it at the modified 1680x1050 resolution :D

Last edited:

bigjnyc

macrumors G3
Apr 10, 2008
Similar results here! Mine is heavily used, it is my sole professional machine, and travels all over the place every day. Finish is still excellent, even though it is showing a little wear around the port, the finish itself is holding up very well. Don't notice any thinness or fading to it at all.

All my clients still comment on how sexy a machine it is - and how good my eyesight must be - I run it at the modified 1680x1050 resolution :D

How are you able to get that resolution? is it available natively on OSX or do you need some external software?

maerz001

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
I have some defects in the anodized layer at the sharp edges. My MB is now 10months old

Attachments

• IMG_1366.JPG
    IMG_1366.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 3,341

zone23

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2012
You guys see any wear and tear around the USB-C port? I have the MacBook Pro and a little concerned that the edges around the port are rounding off some. Hope I'm not hijacking the thread but seemed like it might fit in.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
You guys see any wear and tear around the USB-C port? I have the MacBook Pro and a little concerned that the edges around the port are rounding off some. Hope I'm not hijacking the thread but seemed like it might fit in.

Yes some minor wear just on the leading edges. Nothing I am concerned about.
IMG_1317.JPG

Nautilus007

macrumors 68030
Jul 13, 2007
U.S
Having had the space grey for almost two years, I plan on switching to a silver machine next round. Just preference.

Aenygma22

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2017
Mine is perfect (2015).
Probably better than when I first got it since it is all waxed with a product made for that.

No wear around USB-C port either. I am very careful when I plug things in. A trick I use is to start them at a very slight angle so I don't scrape an edge.

archi_130w1

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2016
Had mine 2 years (in a couple of weeks), and not a single blemish. Whilst I'm careful with it, I definitely don't treat it like my first born. Same with my Space Grey iPhones/iPads though.

Same thing for me. I picked up a used 2016 m7 back in September and the finish has held up excellently.

Eggtastic

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
NJ
I have had mine for 6 months now. Pristine condition, however my space bar got stuck a couple of times but it hasn't done that recently. Like others, I don't type hard and when I plug the usb-c in I am careful.

buckwheet

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2014
Hmm... Not so good for me. The top panel has fading around the wrists and near the esc key. I'm on this thing a lot, but that shouldn't make any difference. At least certainly not after only 15 months. I wonder if there's any variability in the quality of finish from the factory? (I would assume there must be some, but I wouldn't expect it to be this pronounced.)

I suppose I do rest my wrists a certain amount of the time while typing (and I certainly rests them when mousing/scrolling, or reading/researching, thinking through a problem, etc.). But there's no way that should cause this kind of problem. My previous mid-2012 15" was pretty much perfect after 4 years.

Reactions: simonmet

BeatCrazy

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2011
Hmm... Not so good for me. The top panel has fading around the wrists and near the esc key. I'm on this thing a lot, but that shouldn't make any difference. At least certainly not after only 15 months. I wonder if there's any variability in the quality of finish from the factory? (I would assume there must be some, but I wouldn't expect it to be this pronounced.)

I suppose I do rest my wrists a certain amount of the time while typing (and I certainly rests them when mousing/scrolling, or reading/researching, thinking through a problem, etc.). But there's no way that should cause this kind of problem. My previous mid-2012 15" was pretty much perfect after 4 years.

More likely the oils from your hands vs. variability from factory finishes.

Cancelled
Jul 3, 2013
How is the Space Grey color on the MacBook holding up after 6 months to a year ?

Had mine for I think 20 months or so now and it’s fantastic. Aside from a couple small scratches (my fault) it pretty much looks new.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.