Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

betasp

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 21, 2008
I saw that there was supposed to be improvement in spellcheck and correction, but it’s seeming to be way worse.

Has this been implemented in the beta?

Reactions: palemonkey

hxlover904

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2011
It's been vastly improved for me. One both my MBP and my iphone. It's my favorite thing about 17 so far. My only quibbles so far are that I can't seem to double tap the space bar to make a period if that last word of the sentence is an autofill word. And moving the cursor around with the space bar is a bit flaky. But accuracy of typing is far better. dictation has been nearly perfect so far. And it's not screwing up my correctly spelled words anymore. in stays in and doesn't get changed to on...that kind of thing.

Reactions: briuhn

palemonkey

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2013
Seems worse here, where it used to correct common mistakes it now just leaves them alone

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
I haven't tried out the betas, but I am not so fond of the current spellcheck. I wish there were a quick way to add a word as acceptable. There's no quick easy way to do that from the contextual menu. 🙄

SpaceGrayAlways

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere
You may want to try and reset your autocorrect settings if you're having a worse experience. Spell check is generated on-device and thus your past spelling influences the way that it will auto-correct.

ifxf

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
It still is bad if they only way of editing the learning dictionary is by resetting it.

Wizec

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2019
I haven’t tried iOS 17, so I can only hope that it gets better. iOS autocorrect and predictive text have been the bottom of the heap ever since it was released, to the point that one wonders if Apple is incompetent in this area, or if they are perpetrating a cruel hoax on its users.

I used BlackBerry 10 for years on a Z10, and there were 3 major advantages. 1) Virtual keyboard accuracy. They used relative position of where you tapped on a key to predict what you intended. 2) Autocorrect was highly accurate 3) Predictive text allowed me to sometimes write whole, correct sentences by swiping the predicted words above the keys on the keyboard.

In iOS 16, the predictive text alone is so bad as to be a perverse joke. I can’t count the number of times the word I wanted was there but then I add another correct letter, then all of a sudden all the predictions are incorrect so I would have to backspace to get back to a sensible choice.

Apple could learn a lot by observing the experiences offered elsewhere, but they seem to have the biggest ego / Not Invented Here Syndrome in the industry. #sad

Last edited:
Reactions: NoGood@Usernames

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
Typing (slowly) seems to trigger the new auto-complete function. Typing fast doesn't.

I usually use the swipe keyboard anyway, and that's just as rubbish as it's always been.

Reactions: palemonkey
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.