Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rojo024

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 18, 2007
I am going to be all over Europe for a one month vacation and am trying to decide if I should take my equipment. I feel like I will miss out on a great opportunity if I don't, but at the same time not sure if I want to risk my gear being stolen or what not. Give me your pros and cons! Whether you would take yours and what one lense you would bring?

If I do take it I was considering getting a prime like 35, 50, or Mabey 85.
I currently have 17-85 is, 18-55 old xt kit, and 75-300.

I would like to keep weight and size down.

Thanks

-hh

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2001
NJ Highlands, Earth
I am going to be all over Europe for a one month vacation and am trying to decide if I should take my equipment. I feel like I will miss out on a great opportunity if I don't, but at the same time not sure if I want to risk my gear being stolen or what not. Give me your pros and cons! ...

I would like to keep weight and size down.

Size/weight versus a convenient P&S is probably going to be one of your biggest factors. I find that for casual knock-around in cities, I'll carry my P&S on the off chance that an opportunity might afford itself (kind of like a camera phone, although better quality).

For lenses, from your current list of a 17-85 is, 18-55 old xt kit, and 75-300, if I were limiting myself to just one lens ...AND... I thought that most of my photos were going to be urban, then whatever's the widest, which here is the 17-85. Being that it is also an IS, that should be helpful in darker interiors where flash isn't allowed (eg, cathedrals).

If I were expecting more outdoor stuff, then I'd add the 75-300 telephoto, although I do have to admit that this isn't a particularly good lens...it gets very soft beyond 200mm. I had a copy briefly, then bought the 75-300 IS which helps some overcome being slow, but not the soft. I don't know how much improved the newer 70-300 versions are.

Insofar as security (theft) and convenience, you'll need to figure some way to carry it conveniently...and perhaps also somewhat low key. My P&S is ancient (A80) so it is pretty large, but I find that it fits into a black fanny pack with an umbrella at my waist pretty unobtrusively.

-hh

leighonigar

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2007
I've previously tended not to take my 'expensive' equipment on trips, preferring to take a compact instead. I've missed out on a lot of good photos as a result but I'm in a different mood when I carry the compact. I think, if I'm with friends or family a big camera makes me want to take shots while not really being able to and things aren't so enjoyable. Essentially if I'm going somewhere with the potential for walks alone, I would take the SLR. Kit is bought to be used and leaving it behind on golden trips is a mistake.

If you're really afraid of losing it you could pick up a used 300D, or 350D, both of which are unlikely to lose you scenery/architecture shots and are less to lose. I'd take a standard zoom and a tele if I had the space. You can always sell such a body on your return for not that much loss.

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
I don't go anywhere without my (SLR) camera. Take yours on your trip, and get the shots of a lifetime. One camera body, one 'walk around' zoom. Take all sensible precautions, and then relax...

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
What's the point of having an SLR camera if you don't take it with you? If you can only take one lens take the 17-85 as that can do 90% of what most people need. Actually you can take a few lenses. But I tend to walk around with only one lens and leave the others in the hotel, car or where ever. It turns out that I can pick any lens and still get about 200 shoots per day. I just get different shots depending on which lens. Try it some time. Use only a 35mm prime. Take several lenses, thy don't take much room in the lugage but use only one at a time as it's a pain to carry several around.

Edge100

macrumors 68000
May 14, 2002
Where am I???
I took my 10D and grip (which, to the untrained eye, looks very 'pro'), 17-40/4L and 70-200/4L to Europe for 6 weeks. Never had a problem, and the pics are fantastic (see link in my sig).

Definitely take the 40D

Rojo024

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 18, 2007
Thanks all for the feedback. We are not going to do any camping. Mostly hotels with a few hostels.

Countries to visit:
Ireland
Amsterdam
London
Paris
Italy
Spain
Switzerland

I am definitely going to take the battery grip off. As far as Insurance goes what do you recommend? What can I expect to pay for coverage? What is usually covered?

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location

What he said.

If I'm going with friends, or I'm going to be walking at a fast pace with lots of people who won't want to wait for me, I'd take only the DSLR. Actually, I'd bring both anyway, but leave the DSLR in the backpack if the situation doesn't look safe, or if it looks as though I'm only going to be taking quick snapshots.

However, since I never travel with friends, and stay at hostels alone, I usually just bring my DSLR. I'm just careful about where I use it. I wouldn't use it if I was with random people ('friends') I meet on the trip. That's when I use my p&s full-time so that nobody can tell that I'm carrying a high-brow camera.

In your case, I'd just bring the single 17-85 mm, as you don't have anything else that's really different and worth bringing. I'd usually limit myself to 2 lenses, but I have brought 3 lenses to Japan.

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
Thanks all for the feedback. We are not going to do any camping. Mostly hotels with a few hostels.

Countries to visit:
Ireland
Amsterdam
London
Paris
Italy
Spain
Switzerland

Erm... London isn't strictly a country... except to US visitors, who tend to shuttle between London, Edinburgh and Stratford-on-Avon. Do yourself a favour: get out of London and explore (unless you want the standard pix of Big Ben, red buses and beefeaters)... :)

leighonigar

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2007
Erm... London isn't strictly a country... except to US visitors, who tend to shuttle between London, Edinburgh and Stratford-on-Avon. Do yourself a favour: get out of London and explore (unless you want the standard pix of Big Ben, red buses and beefeaters)... :)

Not to mention Amsterdam and Paris... two other big 'countries'.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
I just got back from an 8-country trip that ran the gamut of economic levels and tourist visitation. In places where there are lots of tourists, DSLR cameras are as common as cappuccinos. I remember seeing a guy walking casually with his girlfriend in such a place, seemingly unconcerned about the roughly $8000 in gear he had slung over one shoulder in plain view. Your list includes countries and cities that will have many such locations, where a 40D will blend right in with the masses.

However, if you get off the beaten path and end up in less-touristed areas, then look for ways to keep the camera low-key. Don't use the freebie camera strap that screams "CANON EOS DIGITAL" in bright letters. I bought myself a 70's-era tapestry strap (a truly vintage item) that makes the camera look older than it is (and let me say, they don't make them like they used to--there's just no substitute for soft, natural fibers). I also have a plain, black holster-style case that I keep the camera in while walking around. It's just big enough to hold the camera with a lens attached. My second lens rides in a padded lens bag in my backpack. That way, I minimize the appearance of my gear.

Of all the places I went, Albania was the only country where I didn't see any other DSLR cameras. I was aware that my XSi equates to four months of income for the average Albanian, so I was hesitant to take it out and therefore got far fewer pictures in that country than anywhere else. But for those shots that I did get, I'm very glad I brought the camera!

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
Yes, what else do you have your equipment for? Get a good bag (which you probably already have), keep your eyes on your equipment, and you'll be fine. There is no need to keep some of your equipment home for reasons other than bulkiness. I use my photobag to hold other very important items (maps, if I travel outside of Europe or the UK, I also put my passport in it). I don't think you need an insurance for these countries.

I've travelled extensively over the last few years (London, Manchester, Rome, Paris, Bucharest, Italy, Brussels, Marseille, etc.) and I've never had a problem. I always take all the equipment I can/want to carry. If you follow some no-nonsense rules (keep your eyes on equipment, don't leave your stuff unattended, keep a firm grip on your bags), then you're not more likely to get robbed than at home in -- say -- NYC.

None of the places you've listed are particularly dangerous, quite the opposite. Rome is a little worse than Switzerland, for example, but still, digital cameras are ubiquitous, you're not travelling to Third World countries, remember ;) Fact of the matter is, your equipment is (no offense) `nothing special'.

Enjoy your time there and don't worry too much!

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA

Countries to visit:
Ireland
Amsterdam
London
Paris
Italy
Spain
Switzerland

I am definitely going to take the battery grip off. As far as Insurance goes what do you recommend? What can I expect to pay for coverage? What is usually covered?

*cringe* I reallyreallyreally hope "Countries" was a thinko, otherwise we're in way more trouble than I thought!

Talk to your insurance agent, ensure you get something that's either an "inland marine" policy or its equivalent (covers drops and loss as well as theft.) A personal property plan with ~$25,000 of equipment, a few hundred thosand in liability and the like is ~$500/yr, so I'd expect it to be less than $50- but you may want to get a year's worth, and just make sure it'll cover you were you're going. I recommend highly against using a homeowner's policy for camera gear (lose your camera, jeopardize the mortgage.)

scotthayes

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2007
Planet Earth
Take it... and do as Doylem, try to get out of London and see a little more of the UK, we really do have some amazing places to visit over here.

Just make sure you have insurance. This thread reminded me to check mine and turns out my house insurance covers me for up to £5000 whilst abroad. So you may find you are covered under any house insurance you have.

scotthayes

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2007
Planet Earth
It's true... The Yorkshire Dales are great, the Lake District is even better. Best of all, though, is Birmingham...

Although I'm hugely proud of my home town and believe it has a lot to offer, it's nothing compared to the beauty of places like the Yorkshire Dales, the Lakes, Stone Henge, Snowdonia and pretty much any costal area in the UK.

But coming to Birmingham would only take around an hour and half on the train from London and he could try and find a different angle to photograph the Selfridge's building.

Renderz

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2004

I second that!! Having worked in London for many years I'm consistently amazed when travellers say England is "this" and "that" but they've rarely gone outside of the capital.

I can say this with all honesty you will generally find nicer, friendlier people the further north of england you go!

Oh, and definately take your SLR. You'll regret it if you don't.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
I can say this with all honesty you will generally find nicer, friendlier people the further north of england you go!

Especially if you tell them you hate England- you might not understand them (and if you thought the US and England were separated by a common language, just wait until your first day in Scotland!,) but you might not have to buy beer all night- and that's as far south as South Queensferry... :D

krye

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2007
USA
Europe is amazing! A photographer's dream. The architecture alone, the landscapes! Don't go without your camera.

leighonigar

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2007
Europe is amazing! A photographer's dream. The architecture alone, the landscapes! Don't go without your camera.

Hah! How often EU people must look at photos of the US' great parks and cities and say the same of them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.