Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

leighonigar

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2007
Gee, somebody must have hit a touchy spot :rolleyes:

Not really, I'm British so I'm rather closer to continental Europe than I am to the US. That said, I've only been to Italy, Holland and France, and not that extensively. We have different kinds of buildings and cities. We have older ones, and more of a mix, generally. You'd be hard pressed to find NYC style skyscrapers, barring the odd few.

As for landscapes, we have some truly great terrain, but you do too. I'm a big fan of learning about the near, exploring it, getting to know it, and in the process learning to render it artistically. The problem with jetting off somewhere is that you typically end up with obvious snapshots. Of course, they don't seem so old hat to you, you've just seen the thing. This is massively demonstrated everytime I go out where I'm living at the moment, very touristy, and I see a million people taking the same photos day in, day out. Sure, most are snapshots and they feel special when you take them yourself and show friends, but some people try and take the same freakin' shots as some kind of serious exercise...

ok... sore spot perhaps. I just think taking the same things from the same angle, is, a bit lame. Given time, you see the interest in the cracks.

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
ok... sore spot perhaps. I just think taking the same things from the same angle, is, a bit lame. Given time, you see the interest in the cracks.
You don't have to convince me, I've lived in different parts of Germany, the US and Japan. And I've been to tons more (especially inside of Europe, obviously). I mean, why do Japanese people travel to Munich and people living in Munich Munich (such as myself) travel to Japan? Or San Francisco?

… to see something different. If you are used to New York or San Francisco, it won't seem special to you, but Rome or Munich will. And vice versa. So what bothers you if someone is enthusiastic about seeing something different? (Keep in mind that they have a harder time getting to Europe, and only 13 % or so even have a passport!)

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
The problem with jetting off somewhere is that you typically end up with obvious snapshots. Of course, they don't seem so old hat to you, you've just seen the thing.

So true. I find it helps to go ahead and take that cliche snapshot, get it out of my system, and then go look for a more original view. It's very difficult to resist the "obvious" shot with stunning monuments; when I'm looking at something that is extraordinarily photogenic, the temptation to try to get a beautiful picture of it is very high, and the fact that a thousand people have already done so seems not to matter.

Rojo024

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 18, 2007
No, Im fully aware that they are not all countries, I just got lazy. Started out as just going to put countries then decided to add more detail.

Thanks again for all the feedback.

If you could take any 1 lens, owned or not, what would it be?

Renderz

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2004
No, Im fully aware that they are not all countries, I just got lazy. Started out as just going to put countries then decided to add more detail.

It would have to be the Nikon 18-200mm VR. It's not the fastest but with some care it can take some stunning shots, and of course that amazing focal range is always a winner. And just to cheat, I'd bring my 50mm F1.4. It's tiny, fast and very useful in low light situations.

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
From the lenses you have listed, the 17-85. But usually you have space for at least two lenses in small- to medium-sized camera bags (I can even fit my 80-200 zoom and my flash in my relatively small bag). I'd also take a flash and a second lens. Since your 17-85 mm zoom is quite slow, you should add something faster to your arsenal, maybe a 35 mm or 50 mm lens. If you're strapped for cash, you can always get the nifty fifty. Then, I'd also consider a flash.

If you were to buy a new lens, I'd recommend getting a 2.8/17-50 lens, e. g. by Tokina, Tamron or Sigma. They are not expensive and beat the lenses you have in terms of IQ hands down. The Tokina even comes in a built quality that is already very close to L glass.

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
By "they" do you mean Americans? I think the number is more like 34%, but it is definitely low: http://www.gyford.com/phil/writing/2003/01/31/how_many_america.php
Yes, I meant Americans.
Hmm, I'm surprised, I thought the number was below 20 %. The page seems to indicate at least that there has been a lot of discussion on that topic and it was previously believed it was less than 15 %. Before the update it said under 20 and now it's 34 %. I'm glad the number has (apparently) increased.

In any case, my point just is that it's harder for Americans to really go abroad than for Europeans. We shouldn't discourage the ones that want to go or have gone and liked the experience :)

leighonigar

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2007
… to see something different. If you are used to New York or San Francisco, it won't seem special to you, but Rome or Munich will. And vice versa. So what bothers you if someone is enthusiastic about seeing something different? (Keep in mind that they have a harder time getting to Europe, and only 13 % or so even have a passport!)

Yes of course, that is fine, but I do think that people miss things where they live. For instance, there are multitudinous back-streets in this city that I have never seen. I do walk around them when I want a break, usually in the evening, and some do present stunning opportunities for photography or just to enjoy. You have to tune yourself into the sublety a bit, but it's somehow more rewarding to find interest and beauty in strange places, a walkable distance from home.

Partly I like to convince myself that home is great, wherever home is, because I refuse to fly all over the world and am too timid to cycle it. Partly I think that if people see the beauty in 'home' they will be happier, and care for it better. Appreciation promoting stewardship I suppose.

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
Yes of course, that is fine, but I do think that people miss things where they live.
You're right. But many people are like that. Including myself to a certain degree. But there is no need to get ticked off when people get enthusiastic about going abroad ;)
Just because you prefer to stay home and explore your immediate surroundings.

scotthayes

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2007
Planet Earth

Dragging back on subject.

If I could take only one lens it would be my sigma 24-70 f/2.8

leighonigar

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2007
Oh yeah, subject.

I'd take your 17-85. Ought to do almost anything you could want, your debating the subject tells me it's not primarily a photo trip so you shouldn't miss the rest too much, and the kit stays reasonably light.

Otherwise, a lot of people would suggest a superzoom 18-2x0 lens, but the range scares me, I think it's something to do with my dad brainwashing me into thinking primes were the way, when I were a lad. I personally would miss a wide aperture, something with an f/2.8 (or better!) would be nice but I wouldn't replace the 17-85 if I had it.

Jan 30, 2006
I would guess your 17-85 is excellent for the occasion, but I would definitely invest in a fast lens. The Sigma 30mm f/1.4 seems to be a very nice lens, and would serve you well if you ever go to museums and low-light portraits.

Stopsignguy

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2007
NJ
A bit off topic but just how big a target does having a SLR out make you? I didn't know the chance of it being stolen was as much as the way its put in these posts. I have several watches (one of which is an $13k Patek from my uncle) and have never had any problems with worrying about it being stolen. Granted it is much smaller than my Canon XSi but I don't feel it causes the attention that would cause a would-be thief to tail you in an attempt to take it. I am going on several trips in the near future (Possibly Denmark as well as mainland China) and didn't give a second thought about whether or not I should bring my camera. Maybe I'm just being a bit reckless, but do these cameras garner that much unwanted attention?

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
A bit off topic but just how big a target does having a SLR out make you? I didn't know the chance of it being stolen was as much as the way its put in these posts. I have several watches (one of which is an $13k Patek from my uncle) and have never had any problems with worrying about it being stolen. Granted it is much smaller than my Canon XSi but I don't feel it causes the attention that would cause a would-be thief to tail you in an attempt to take it. I am going on several trips in the near future (Possibly Denmark as well as mainland China) and didn't give a second thought about whether or not I should bring my camera. Maybe I'm just being a bit reckless, but do these cameras garner that much unwanted attention?

As was said earlier in this thread, cameras don't grab attention at all in very touristed places, but there are plenty of areas in the world where it is risky to flash obviously expensive items.

For example, around the UC Berkeley campus, many students carrying laptops have been victims of armed robbery. Similarly, the BART system of the Bay Area recently had a rash of iPod thefts. Cameras fall into the same "expensive portable gizmo" category as laptops and iPods, so I'm very nervous about walking around with my camera near that campus or on the BART trains. However, I feel completely comfortable having my camera out in European tourist hot-spots.

Watches are a different case, since so many of them are cheap knock-offs, and they are relatively inconspicuous items anyway. Would-be thieves can be certain that a DSLR camera is "real" and valuable.

Rojo024

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 18, 2007
Here's my plan:
Take the camera w/
18-55 is
50 f/1.4 for low light

Where should I look to get travel insurence for all my gear? I have travel insurence but does not cover electronics. The up grade only covers 500 dollars! Not enough! What do you all suggest?

scotthayes

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2007
Planet Earth
Check you house contents insurance. I'm off to America in November and after buying my travel insurance I started to look around for insurance for my camera and lenses. My wife, being the smart one in the house, suggested checking the contents insurance. I did and it has cover for up to £5,000 for personal belongings, and that is anywhere in the world. So you may well find you are covered by your house contents insurance.

mrfrosty

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2005
Erm... London isn't strictly a country... except to US visitors, who tend to shuttle between London, Edinburgh and Stratford-on-Avon. Do yourself a favour: get out of London and explore (unless you want the standard pix of Big Ben, red buses and beefeaters)... :)

Yes, as a UK resident i advise you to skip london. Take in some of the other amazing cities such as Hull, Grimsby, Preston and most definitely dont miss Coventry (especially late at night on the weekends) :)

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Where should I look to get travel insurence for all my gear?

Go to an insurance agent, explain what you have and what coverage you want. I strongly recommend against using a homeowner's policy as coverage- if you make a claim and it causes a policy issue, then you can lose your mortgage insurance and finding more insurance after having a cancelled policy can be next to impossible. Lose the camera, lose the house just sounds like a really, really bad idea to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.