Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LiE_

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2013
UK
I killed a laptop many years ago with protein shake knocked onto the keyboard.

RIP.

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX
Too late now but I have a firm rule about food and drink around my laptop. They have to be far apart!
Agreed, growing up with a programmer in the family, the first rule I was taught is that when using a computer you keep all liquids and foods away from it.

Unfortunately for OP, this is going to make for a costly repair unless AppleCare + is involved (this is the main reason I buy AppleCare +, some accidents just happen and can't be avoided).
[doublepost=1535123461][/doublepost]
I have to re-work my desk, but I used the Rain Design mStand. There's too much crap on the desk to accommodate the stand since getting the laptop but that will change shortly.

The advantages to that is that its physically raised off the desk in case of spills. I do drink coffee but I use an external keyboard and the laptop is away from any risk and is typically in clamshell mode.
I have a cheaper stand I use, but similarly it keeps both my computers raised above the surface incase for some reason my cup of coffee gets put on my desk and gets knocked over. Hasn't happened yet, but better safe than sorry.

Like @Newtons Apple , I keep all drinks and or food items on a table to the left of my desk, so I can't accidentally knock it with my dominant hand, and if I do, its on a separate table.

Last edited:
Reactions: Newtons Apple

sky87

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2015
I have to re-work my desk, but I used the Rain Design mStand. There's too much crap on the desk to accommodate the stand since getting the laptop but that will change shortly.

The advantages to that is that its physically raised off the desk in case of spills. I do drink coffee but I use an external keyboard and the laptop is away from any risk and is typically in clamshell mode.
View attachment 777591
[doublepost=1535107432][/doublepost]

That actually looks pretty good. Can I ask how much shaking do you get if you're typing with it on the stand? On their website it says that it doesn't shake much but they would say that of course! (The shaking is the main reason why I usually don't use a laptop stand...)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.