Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nappes

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 9, 2016
If I load two or more safari tabs and switch between then, there is about quarter second when the text in the new tab is blurry. It’s not a full reload, it’s like a slow rerender. InterestingLy I don’t see it in chrome. It shouldn’t be memory pressure with only two tabs and nothing else happening.

I hadn’t noticed this in the past but now I see it happening on my family’s m1 iPad and m4

its incredibly obvious if you use a keyboard to tab switch fast between the tabs.

Do others get this as well?

JamieLannister

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2016
I just go to the reduce motion button and turn it on. Gets rid of the waste of time animations. You’ll enjoy the ultra speed instead of animation stutters and lag. I do the same for macOS. Even my m3 max stutters when minimizing apps or switching windows in stage manager or task tabbing.

nappes

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 9, 2016
That didn’t fix it. It’s the text itself.

Here is the blurry view (again for less than quarter of a second)
IMG_0006.jpeg

Then
IMG_0007.jpeg

c14nhl

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2008
Edinburgh
I didn’t notice it until reading this post.

I see the same behaviour. It’s almost instant that it clears up. M4 13”.

Apathist

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2024
Do others get this as well?

I had forgotten about this Safari-specific anomaly (it doesn't affect Chrome or Edge), which I first noticed on my old iPad Air 2 years ago. I always found it annoying for some reason. Unfortunately, when I read your post earlier today I couldn't clearly recall when or exactly how the issue had ever been resolved for me. But worse still, as I hold my current Air 4 in hand just now with the problem fresh in my mind, I realize it never was -- Safari still does it!

So the good news is that you do eventually stop seeing it, though I can't tell you how long this might take. I guess I'll find out (again).

BTW, I recall that when I first noticed the issue back in the late 2010s I was surprised that I couldn't find much discussion of it. A quick search now turns up this short 2017 MacRumors post, which elicited only a single reply.

More recently, this Reddit post met with almost complete silence as well.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ipad/comments/16kscj0

I get the sense that most users just don't notice it.

asleep

macrumors 68040
Sep 26, 2007
Noticed that on my new 9th gen.

Figured it was an iOS 17 “feature”… coming from 15. 😐

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.