Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MBX

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 14, 2006
Can anyone tell me why Apple decided to create a much weaker Spotlight search vs the much better Siri results?

Seriously, I have now disabled Spotlight and only use Siri without voice but with typing. The results are so much better in Siri.

How come Apple did not unify both to show exact or same results?

When I ask Siri about specific emails from yesterday of a certain sender it gives me 100% exact results. Not so in Spotlight. I get results from the sender I was looking for BUT from very wrong dates.

With Siri I can quickly ask for weather or currency conversions and I get 100% perfect results.

Not so in Spotlight: Which is trying to find the weather results or currency conversions as files on my Mac. WTF.

In Siri when I type an URL I can even open websites quickly that way (just like with Alfred). NOT SO in Spotlight which again is trying to find it as a file on the mac instead of recognizing that I'm trying to open a website.

/rant over

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I always found spotlight lacking, so much so, that I've long moved over to easyfind.

Sirious

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2013
United Kingdom
Can anyone tell me why Apple decided to create a much weaker Spotlight search vs the much better Siri results?

Seriously, I have now disabled Spotlight and only use Siri without voice but with typing. The results are so much better in Siri.

How come Apple did not unify both to show exact or same results?

When I ask Siri about specific emails from yesterday of a certain sender it gives me 100% exact results. Not so in Spotlight. I get results from the sender I was looking for BUT from very wrong dates.

With Siri I can quickly ask for weather or currency conversions and I get 100% perfect results.

Not so in Spotlight: Which is trying to find the weather results or currency conversions as files on my Mac. WTF.

In Siri when I type an URL I can even open websites quickly that way (just like with Alfred). NOT SO in Spotlight which again is trying to find it as a file on the mac instead of recognizing that I'm trying to open a website.

/rant over

I just tried all the things you mentioned Spotlight is lacking in and found it did all of them for me - even the website opening (didn't try the email thing)

Ethanmenzel

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2017
In the age of AI (2024), Siri is hopefully someday going to be more heavily focused on AI whereas Spotlight is like Apple's version of Google Search.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.