Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hermtm2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 29, 2024
1707219167689.png

Hello guys,

I just replaced the original HDD with a new SSD last week. There is HDD fan noise caused by the thermal sensor.
I tried a couple of tricks, but they didn't work at all. Besides that everything is fine.

My next plan is to return the original HDD and move the new SSD underneath the optical drive.
I expect to resolve the fan noise issue and have an extra storage space(500GB).

- SSD for booting
- HDD only for data storage

I was wondering if the dual storage system could slow the booting or overall running speed of the iMac.

What do you guys think?

Thanks,

Ryan.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
It might boot a slight bit slower depending if initialisation is serial or parallel. Not even really sure there. But shouldn't really be meaningful if you configure the SSD as the first option in the boot order (i.e. default startup disk).

Though the optical disc bay may have a slower SATA connection than the default drive bay - I'd check up on that before doing the hardware swap

Reactions: IngoX

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
OP may have a mid-2011, 21.5-inch -- which does, in fact, have a reserved location for an SATA SSD underneath the optical drive. It does not replace the optical drive, but it will probably need the correct SATA power and data cables, which have dedicated connections on the logic board, near the HHD SATA connections. An SSD has brackets that are easy to find, I think -- but then with the light weight of an SSD, you can probably just tape the SSD in place, without buying those brackets (unless you really need that "neatness" of having all the right parts)

Reactions: gilby101

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
OP may have a mid-2011, 21.5-inch
That is what he has. A1311 in thread title.
which does, in fact, have a reserved location for an SATA SSD underneath the optical drive.
My next plan is to return the original HDD and move the new SSD underneath the optical drive.
From ifixit:
Q&A https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/193641/Can+I+replace+iMac's+harddrive+with+an+SSD suggests exactly that.
Replacement guide: https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installing+iMac+Intel+21.5-Inch+EMC+2428+Dual+Drive+Kit/6434

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Well, possibly. The A1311 is also 2009 and 2010. Neither of those early A1311's have that reserved space for SSD under the optical drive, only the 2011 A1311. OP mentioned that space, so the 2011 seems likely.
Hopefully, the OP does not have the Late 2011 iMac, which is also an A1311, but is somewhat crippled compared to the Mid 2011. It does, however, also have the reserved SSD space under the optical drive, same as the Mid 2011 A1311.
Finally, it's probably a lot simpler to simply get the HD temp sensor working correctly with the SATA SSD. The SSD slot under the Optical drive would mean adding the SATA cables, which are on the back side of the logic board. The logic board (and some other parts) have to be removed to do that.

Last edited:
Reactions: gilby101

Mark.g4

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2023
Buy an internal DVD player for your imac, even broken, it doesn't matter.
Gently disconnect the temperature sensor from the DVD drive and glue it to your SSD, then connect the connector to the mother board.
With 10 dollars you have solved all your problems by original hardware.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.