Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KeegM480

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2013
Nashville, TN
Ok, so here are my specs:
Late 2011 15" MacBook Pro
16GB of Ram, 500GB Hard drive (5200RPM)

What I plan to do:
Get a new hard drive, place current hard drive in a caddy where the optical drive is.

I know Solid State is better, but at this point I can only afford a 64GB SSD, so if I can't get an SSD, should I get a $65 500GB 7200RPM Western Digital, or a $75 500GB Seagate Hybrid Drive?

Note: Battery Life is very important to me too.

Last edited:

durkkin

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2013
Do you want a second hard drive for more storage space or for a faster computer?

If you want space, get the 7200 RPM drive. The SSD on the hybrid drive is used for copying files quickly before moving it onto the platter. It's not big enough to put a full OS on and isn't going to really make a difference speed wise in day to day activities.

If you're looking for speed, either get the 64 GB SSD because that will be enough to store OS X and applications on, or wait until you can afford a bigger drive.

KeegM480

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2013
Nashville, TN
Do you want a second hard drive for more storage space or for a faster computer?

If you want space, get the 7200 RPM drive. The SSD on the hybrid drive is used for copying files quickly before moving it onto the platter. It's not big enough to put a full OS on and isn't going to really make a difference speed wise in day to day activities.

If you're looking for speed, either get the 64 GB SSD because that will be enough to store OS X and applications on, or wait until you can afford a bigger drive.

Do you think the 7200 will make a difference from my 5200? I do want better performance I am planning on just getting a slightly better 500GB until I can afford a 250GB SSD

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK

Not strictly true ... the Seagate's "learn" what you use the most and store a copy of that stuff on the SSD portion. It's not a cache in the true sense of the word. I had the 750GB drive and after a few reboots, my boot time was down to about SSD speeds.

However, as you mention, the SSD portion is relatively small so it's not as good as a true SSD.

I'd say SSD in the HD bay, the existing HDD in the SuperDrive bay.

durkkin

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2013
I did not know that MrGimper. Thanks for the info.

In that case the Seagate hybrid would give you the best performance for the time being, and probably affect battery life the least. However, like Gimp said I'd wait to buy a bigger SSD and keep the existing 5400 RPM HDD. It will impact battery life the least and avoid any (potential) conflict between the two SSDs if you decide to make a fusion drive.

CausticPuppy

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2012
Save up a few more pennies and get a 128GB SSD... they can be had for less than $100. The Samsung 840 drives are on sale in a lot of places.

Then, you can set up your own Fusion Drive along with your existing drive.

Replacing your existing HDD with a 7200rpm will make a negligible difference, but will probably decrease battery life.

KeegM480

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2013
Nashville, TN
Not strictly true ... the Seagate's "learn" what you use the most and store a copy of that stuff on the SSD portion. It's not a cache in the true sense of the word. I had the 750GB drive and after a few reboots, my boot time was down to about SSD speeds.

However, as you mention, the SSD portion is relatively small so it's not as good as a true SSD.

I'd say SSD in the HD bay, the existing HDD in the SuperDrive bay.

As much as I want to open up the computer and take the HD out I think I will wait.. its hard to have patience :)

Save up a few more pennies and get a 128GB SSD... they can be had for less than $100. The Samsung 840 drives are on sale in a lot of places.

Then, you can set up your own Fusion Drive along with your existing drive.

Replacing your existing HDD with a 7200rpm will make a negligible difference, but will probably decrease battery life.

I have heard stories of terrible battery life with the Fusion drive.. thats my concern about a smaller SSD.

I did not know that MrGimper. Thanks for the info.

In that case the Seagate hybrid would give you the best performance for the time being, and probably affect battery life the least. However, like Gimp said I'd wait to buy a bigger SSD and keep the existing 5400 RPM HDD. It will impact battery life the least and avoid any (potential) conflict between the two SSDs if you decide to make a fusion drive.

I think I will wait, its tough though I really want to open this thing up, maybe I will remove the superdrive and save a bit of weight for a while :D

Sandman1969

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2007
I love my Samsung 840 Evo 500gb I just put in my 2012 MBP. Good cost per GB IMHO and I didn't lose any space compared to the original 500GB 5400rpm that is in it. Also, just as a note my 7200 rpm from my external over FW800 was about 20Mbs faster than the 5400. So I don't think you would really notice the performance of 5400 to 7200rpm. But the heat, noise, battery drain might be noticeable.

KeegM480

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2013
Nashville, TN
I love my Samsung 840 Evo 500gb I just put in my 2012 MBP. Good cost per GB IMHO and I didn't lose any space compared to the original 500GB 5400rpm that is in it. Also, just as a note my 7200 rpm from my external over FW800 was about 20Mbs faster than the 5400. So I don't think you would really notice the performance of 5400 to 7200rpm. But the heat, noise, battery drain might be noticeable.

So the 7,200RPM has better battery life, less heat, and less noise? Or more heat, more noise, and worse battery life?

raptor402

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2011
All in all, putting a second HDD will decrease your battery life and increase heat and sound. As posted above, your best bet would be to go for any SSD above 90GB. As long as you're putting your original drive in a caddy bay, you should have no storage problems.

Sources: I spent over a year with such a setup (90GB + 500GB).

A 7200RPM drive won't give any noticeable performance boost (unless you're planning to keep a stopwatch handy to measure boot and application launch times) over a 5400RPM drive, but the decrease in battery life and increase in noise and heat will be well noticeable. As for the hybrid drive, they're a good bang for your buck, but the 1st generation Seagate Momentus XT was hell on OS X despite the numerous firmware updates.

Should you find that you simply can't afford an SSD, go for the latest generation Momentus XT (or whatever it's called now) and forget about the caddy bay.

Regards
Raptor

durkkin

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2013
So the 7,200RPM has better battery life, less heat, and less noise? Or more heat, more noise, and worse battery life?

The latter. Faster drive is going to pull more power along with generating more noise and heat.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
All in all, putting a second HDD will decrease your battery life and increase heat and sound. As posted above, your best bet would be to go for any SSD above 90GB. As long as you're putting your original drive in a caddy bay, you should have no storage problems.

A 7200RPM drive won't give any noticeable performance boost (unless you're planning to keep a stopwatch handy to measure boot and application launch times) over a 5400RPM drive, but the decrease in battery life and increase in noise and heat will be well noticeable. As for the hybrid drive, they're a good bang for your buck, but the 1st generation Seagate Momentus XT was hell on OS X despite the numerous firmware updates.

Should you find that you simply can't afford an SSD, go for the latest generation Momentus XT (or whatever it's called now) and forget about the caddy bay.

Regards
Raptor

Just to add, the 750GB Momentus XT is 7200. The newer 1TB model is 5400 but with more SSD space. So if you go this route, spring for the 1TB drive.

KeegM480

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2013
Nashville, TN

Regards
Raptor

Ok, No point in getting a 7,200 RPM if there isnt much better performance but there is more heat and battery drain.

The latter. Faster drive is going to pull more power along with generating more noise and heat.

OK thanks!

Just to add, the 750GB Momentus XT is 7200. The newer 1TB model is 5400 but with more SSD space. So if you go this route, spring for the 1TB drive.

Ok, Sounds like I should go with a 1TB Hybrid for now and then upgrade to an SSD later :)

----------

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Momen...qid=1381787321&sr=1-3&keywords=seagate+hybrid

This is what you guys are suggesting as the cheaper alternative to an SSD right? Don't want to buy the wrong Hard Drive!

esadb

macrumors 65816
Nov 29, 2008
I had the Seagate 500gb Momentus hybird , 7200rpm 32mb cache drive in m 09 macbook. Going to an SSD now in my macbook pro its quite noticeable faster on boot up than the hybird. The hybird was still a nice drive tho if your looking to stay on budget and not spend a ton on a SSD.

However I did place the 500GB hybird drive in the optibay and run the SSD in the hard drive spot and performance wise its amazing now.

Last edited:

KeegM480

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2013
Nashville, TN
I had the Seagate 500gb Momentus hybird , 7200rpm 32mb cache drive in m 09 macbook. Going to an SSD now in my macbook pro its quote noticeable faster on boot up than the hybird. The hybird was still a nice drive tho if your looking to stay on budget and not spend a ton on a SSD.

However I did place the 500GB hybird drive in the optibay and run the SSD in the hard drive spot and performance wise its amazing now.

That's what I was thinking. Get a 500gb hybrid and then eventually get a 250gb or 128gb SSD and make a fusion drive

Doward

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2013
You will be worlds ahead saving up for a true SSD.

Even a 250GB Samsung 840 (Non-EVO) will be a better buy than the fusion (price vs performance)

KeegM480

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2013
Nashville, TN
You will be worlds ahead saving up for a true SSD.

Even a 250GB Samsung 840 (Non-EVO) will be a better buy than the fusion (price vs performance)

But I need the 500GB drive because I need my battery life its going to take me a while to get $350.. I will get the Hybrid then maybe around black friday, look for some good deals on a SSD

esadb

macrumors 65816
Nov 29, 2008

KeegM480

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2013
Nashville, TN

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Momentus-2-5-Inch-Internal-Notebook/dp/B007PG25UU/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Much better both 5200rpm but one is a hybrid (similar to solid state so it is much better)

raptor402

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2011
OP, if you plan to upgrade to an SSD in the future anyway, don't bother wasting money on a hybrid right now. Even with a hybrid, you won't see a major boost in performance. My advise would be to find a good deal on a small SSD (128GB or 90GB) and put your original HDD in a caddy bay. This will be much faster than any other solution. Trust me, you will notice it.

Regards
Raptor

KeegM480

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2013
Nashville, TN
OP, if you plan to upgrade to an SSD in the future anyway, don't bother wasting money on a hybrid right now. Even with a hybrid, you won't see a major boost in performance. My advise would be to find a good deal on a small SSD (128GB or 90GB) and put your original HDD in a caddy bay. This will be much faster than any other solution. Trust me, you will notice it.

Regards
Raptor

I won't, I have no job now haha Ill just have to wait :)

raptor402

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2011
A 120GB Samsung 840 costs $90 on Amazon. That's less than 20$ more than the hybrid drive. I would recommend you go for it. 120GB is more than enough.

Regards
Raptor

KeegM480

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2013
Nashville, TN
A 120GB Samsung 840 costs $90 on Amazon. That's less than 20$ more than the hybrid drive. I would recommend you go for it. 120GB is more than enough.

Regards
Raptor

I actually have more than 200GB on my Mac OSX Partition, 60 on my Bootcamp so 120GB is no where near enough for me

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-10-16 at 12.39.16 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-10-16 at 12.39.16 PM.png
    41.1 KB · Views: 128
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.