Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
I actually have more than 200GB on my Mac OSX Partition, 60 on my Bootcamp so 120GB is no where near enough for me
With dual-drive setup, you can do the split. Running pure OS X off of a SSD boot disk is more than sufficient. Should even leave room for your Applications folder. I personally left also the Admin's home on SSD just in case I need to boot and log in with HDD inoperable.
All of the users' homes (the /Users folder, containing your Audio, Movies, Photos, Other) you can move to HDD.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
I actually have more than 200GB on my Mac OSX Partition, 60 on my Bootcamp so 120GB is no where near enough for me

If you use bootcamp often, there is a chance that a hybrid drive won't bring that much of a benefit.

Imagine the following ....

- You boot from OS X a few times and run applications... the Hybrid keeps frequently used stuff in the SSD portion and some things are improved.

- You boot from Windows ... the boot is slow as nothing to do with Windows is in the SSD. The Hybrid starts clearing out your SSD portion of OS X data and starts storing windows files etc in the SSD

- You boot OS X again .. the boot is slow as no OS X files are stored in the Hybrid's SSD portion. The Hybrid starts clearing out your SSD portion of Windows data and starts storing OS X files etc in the SSD.

raptor402

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2011

Simple: SSD for boot. One partition on the original HDD for OS X data and another for BootCamp. That's the way most people (including me and everyone with an SSD upgrade in their MBP) do it. I spent a year on a 90GB SSD with that setup; I never had less than 30GB free on the SSD.

KeegM480

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2013
Nashville, TN
Simple: SSD for boot. One partition on the original HDD for OS X data and another for BootCamp. That's the way most people (including me and everyone with an SSD upgrade in their MBP) do it. I spent a year on a 90GB SSD with that setup; I never had less than 30GB free on the SSD.

Thats what I planned on doing but it uses too much battery using a dual drive. I am just going to save up for the 500GB SSD

----------

If you use bootcamp often, there is a chance that a hybrid drive won't bring that much of a benefit.

Imagine the following ....

- You boot from OS X a few times and run applications... the Hybrid keeps frequently used stuff in the SSD portion and some things are improved.

- You boot from Windows ... the boot is slow as nothing to do with Windows is in the SSD. The Hybrid starts clearing out your SSD portion of OS X data and starts storing windows files etc in the SSD

- You boot OS X again .. the boot is slow as no OS X files are stored in the Hybrid's SSD portion. The Hybrid starts clearing out your SSD portion of Windows data and starts storing OS X files etc in the SSD.

Yep.. that would defnitely be a problem I would use bootcamp with the normal drive if I was going that route

----------

With dual-drive setup, you can do the split. Running pure OS X off of a SSD boot disk is more than sufficient. Should even leave room for your Applications folder. I personally left also the Admin's home on SSD just in case I need to boot and log in with HDD inoperable.
All of the users' homes (the /Users folder, containing your Audio, Movies, Photos, Other) you can move to HDD.

True, but battery life isnt very good I need to keep the 4 hour battery life.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.