Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacUse-R

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 24, 2017
I think the idea is - why even have memory if some is not used?
Your macOS takes care of all that for you -- and that's a Good Thing™

Yes exactly, that is most likely how it is suppose to be.

But the full use of RAM memory has sometimes got me wondering if that is the reason why my macBook Pro has been slow at times, meaning since it is already using all RAM for certain things maybe there is some process that doesnt get to use any RAM since there isnt any more availible RAM to use and hence its getting slow?
Just a thought?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
You can discover more about how your system is working in your Activity Monitor.
If you actually experience slow-downs, and the system just "feels" laggy, look at both the CPU and the Memory tabs.
The Memory Pressure graph should normally be green.
You may find out that your CPU is sometimes maxed out, and the Activity Monitor can then help you find out what processes or apps are doing that.

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
This is all such a waste of time. If SSD wear was a problem there would be swarms of posts from users all bemoaning about their dead drives (because heaven knows everybody likes to have a good whinge here). They’re not so there isn’t. Your computer will be obsolete before SSD wear becomes a factor.

Last edited:
Reactions: Samuelsan2001

Toutou

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2015
Prague, Czech Republic
already using all RAM for certain things maybe there is some process that doesnt get to use any RAM since there isnt any more availible RAM to use and hence its getting slow?
Just a thought?
Don't worry.
It used to be that if you, for example, quit Safari, the process terminated and its memory was freed from RAM along with any files it was using. Your RAM usage decreased accordingly and the memory was free to be used for something else.
If you at that moment decided to launch Safari again, macOS had to load it again from your main memory (HDD/SSD).

Nowadays the OS is a bit smarter and tries to keep as much useful data as possible loaded and ready to be used — e.g. apps that you use often. So when you launch Safari, there's a pretty good chance it's already been loaded and starts up way faster. If you decide to launch some other app, maybe the one you don't use very often - no problem. The pre-loaded data in the RAM get overwritten by you app's data with no performance penalty, as obviously they aren't needed at that moment.

Yeahyeahyeah123

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2017
Delete startup programs/programs with constant refresh/auto-login. Once I deleted DropBox, Skype, and Outlook, my writes seem to have gone down from 50 gb to 20 gb a day.

Reactions: Samuelsan2001
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.