Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ImDanTheBoxMan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2021
I just thought I would post here that I had success removing the anti-glare coating off of a mid 2014 mbp with horrendous staingate

The way I did it was with Flash All Purpose Cleaner floor cleaner.

This stuff works wonders and is very unlikely to scratch or damage the screen as it is purely liquid (unlike mouthwashes and baking soda tricks which basically use the abrasive qualities to remove the staingate).

This product just cuts through the coating with minimal effort and leaves you with a much, much better looking screen which is honestly perfectly fine reflection wise if using indoors. I was using it in a spotlit room and there was very little reflection.

I maybe spent 5-10 mins with a microfibre cloth soaked in the floor cleaner just gently rubbing the entire screen to remove the coating. It left a little around the edges but barely noticeable and could be removed with a bit more effort. The screen on this macbook was almost tinted green it was that bad and now it looks as good as new so defo try this if your’s is bad!

DaKKs

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2012
Stockholm, Sweden
I used the W5 brand "Multilayer wipes" I bought in Lidl here in Europe. Aldi and Hofer should have the same brand too.

Got very good results. Put a few wipes on the screen, and wherever the wet wipes touches the screen, the coating wiped off.

DHagan4755

macrumors 68020
Jul 18, 2002
Massachusetts
I used Listerine. It took a little work but it looked like new afterward. And added bonus was the computer smelled nice & minty after I was done with it.

Attachments

• IMG_3074.jpeg
    IMG_3074.jpeg
    346.9 KB · Views: 214

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Granted, the materials folks used above ARE NOT "cleaners" that one would normally use on a MacBook Pro display surface.

However...
What this really suggests is how poor a design the "sprayed-on anti-glare" coating IS -- if it can be removed with relative ease...

Reactions: antiprotest

Paul McDaid

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2022
Ok. Have tried everything. Baking soda paste. listerine. w5 wipes. baking soda wipes. white vinegar spray. four hours of elbow grease.

I got most of the edges off. just the middle part. is there any official products that you can buy that will blitz this back into oblivion?

Attachments

• 36A3CAB6-7641-42CF-8709-5D2223118EEC.jpeg
    36A3CAB6-7641-42CF-8709-5D2223118EEC.jpeg
    400.2 KB · Views: 245

diego.caraballo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2013
Ok. Have tried everything. Baking soda paste. listerine. w5 wipes. baking soda wipes. white vinegar spray. four hours of elbow grease.

I got most of the edges off. just the middle part. is there any official products that you can buy that will blitz this back into oblivion?
Hi!
Unfortunately, what you are experiencing are stains behind the glass.
It's not possible to remove those.
You frontal glass is clean and have no residues of the damaged coating.

Reactions: Paul McDaid

Paul McDaid

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2022
Im so peed of about it. Its super spec of a machine, i7, 16 gig ram... really can hold its own. damn screen looks so crap.

Kottu

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2014
Few years ago, when I removed the antiglare coating with Listerine, I got very good result. But the next day the screen turned into green. It was like that for 2-3 days and became normal.
I was in India during June this year.It was monsoon and very humid. The green tint came back at once. it appeared after 30s from waking up and after 10-15 min the screen became normal.
So be careful about using any kind of liquid to remove the stains. I read somewhere that the green tint occurs when the glued part between the layers of screen has losen up. Alcohol do dissolve adhesives.

Reactions: Paul McDaid

Honjiida

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2021

Tried Armour Etch?
Available on eBay and Amazon. Instructions on YouTube.

DaKKs

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2012
Stockholm, Sweden
Few years ago, when I removed the antiglare coating with Listerine, I got very good result. But the next day the screen turned into green. It was like that for 2-3 days and became normal.
I was in India during June this year.It was monsoon and very humid. The green tint came back at once. it appeared after 30s from waking up and after 10-15 min the screen became normal.
So be careful about using any kind of liquid to remove the stains. I read somewhere that the green tint occurs when the glued part between the layers of screen has losen up. Alcohol do dissolve adhesives.

I believe that glue is UV curable. So if you get the green tint, just place it in the sun for a while or hit it with an UV light.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.