Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

symphony

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 25, 2016
I have wireless CarPlay, but I always charge it via MagSafe.

Would be cool to implement StandBy mode for cars when connected via CarPlay and charging.

CarPlay specific widgets such as giant buttons for reporting crashes when there’s a huge traffic or slowing down below the speed limit on a highway.

Home controls that appear as you approach or leave your home.

Also a front and rear dash cam that will also record before your passing in accident that is sent to your families automatically.

Apple should go for it 👀

Reactions: matrix07

dontpannic

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2011
Orpington, Kent, UK
Also a front and rear dash cam that will also record before your passing in accident that is sent to your families automatically.
I mean you could have just said "front and rear dashcam".

While I would agree that CarPlay on the phone itself would be a nice touch, I don't understand the fascination with using mobile phones as dashcams.

For the camera angle to be correct it would be angled away from your face meaning viewing the phone becomes difficult.

Add on to the fact that charging wirelessly (or plugged in) while having both cameras activated and recording, the display on full brightness using navigation apps etc while in the windscreen in direct sunlight is going to generate a huge amount of heat and degrade the battery in your device.

Just use a cheap dashcam.

symphony

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 25, 2016
I mean you could have just said "front and rear dashcam".

While I would agree that CarPlay on the phone itself would be a nice touch, I don't understand the fascination with using mobile phones as dashcams.

For the camera angle to be correct it would be angled away from your face meaning viewing the phone becomes difficult.

Add on to the fact that charging wirelessly (or plugged in) while having both cameras activated and recording, the display on full brightness using navigation apps etc while in the windscreen in direct sunlight is going to generate a huge amount of heat and degrade the battery in your device.

Just use a cheap dashcam.
I do have a dashcam. It’s more to do with convenience and accessibility as with all Apple features.

Maybe like CarPlay, Apple should use MFi to let manufacturers make dashcams for iPhone that sends data to iPhone while charged and in CarPlay.

digitalfx

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2007
Standby makes no sense in CarPlay. But that said...if you want Standby, just turn off CarPlay and its there once you connect to your MagSafe charger (or any charger)

"Home controls that appear as you approach or leave your home." This already exists in CarPlay.

Reactions: gwhizkids

symphony

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 25, 2016
Standby makes no sense in CarPlay. But that said...if you want Standby, just turn off CarPlay and its there once you connect to your MagSafe charger (or any charger)

"Home controls that appear as you approach or leave your home." This already exists in CarPlay.
???

Makes no sense in what way?

Why would I turn off CarPlay while using my car?

Where are the home controls in CarPlay?

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
If you have a garage door in HomeKit and use the multi-mode display in CarPlay, you will get a garage door opening command in one of that view's windows as you approach home.

Otherwise, I agree: this request doesn't make much sense. Most of the data you would want is displayed in Carplay by default. Time is shown all the time. There are Maps to show you slowdowns far more effectively than some widgets would.

I'd rather Apple spent its time making non-duplicative features.

digitalfx

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2007
???

Makes no sense in what way?

Why would I turn off CarPlay while using my car?

Where are the home controls in CarPlay?
I gonna guess you haven't used Standby...Home Controls in Standby are limited and revert to the app when selected. It's two different systems for two different purposes.

Necessary HK controls currently populate the CarPlay screen as needed...and Im sure this will expand. For example, as you approach your home the Garage Door switch appears...and it gracefully disappears as you leave.

symphony

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 25, 2016
I gonna guess you haven't used Standby...Home Controls in Standby are limited and revert to the app when selected. It's two different systems for two different purposes.

Necessary HK controls currently populate the CarPlay screen as needed...and Im sure this will expand. For example, as you approach your home the Garage Door switch appears...and it gracefully disappears as you leave.
I’m not talking about implementing StandBy (as it currently is) to work while CarPlay is on, but rather another mode of itself purposefully for the car. What I’m suggesting is beyond Apple’s current offerings or your knowledge of it.

What you suggested is limited HomeKit functionality that displays at most 2(?) and requires you to be in the dashboard.

What I want is more functionality and accessibility, since my CarPlay can only be interacted with by a dial which makes navigating incredibly inconvenient and slow.

Having giant buttons and a lot more controls present is better than endless wheel scrolling and buttons. Having a StandBy mode can have controls that would normally clog up the main screen.

I want to have my shortcuts present as well.

symphony

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 25, 2016
If you have a garage door in HomeKit and use the multi-mode display in CarPlay, you will get a garage door opening command in one of that view's windows as you approach home.

Otherwise, I agree: this request doesn't make much sense. Most of the data you would want is displayed in Carplay by default. Time is shown all the time. There are Maps to show you slowdowns far more effectively than some widgets would.

I'd rather Apple spent its time making non-duplicative features.
I think HomeKit and Shortcuts are must have.

But when I’m driving with the maps app, I want to be able to control my music.

Dashboard is cramped and poor use of space. At least for my car screen.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
I think HomeKit and Shortcuts are must have.

But when I’m driving with the maps app, I want to be able to control my music.

Dashboard is cramped and poor use of space. At least for my car screen.

These sound like they are more of an implementation problem for your automaker or head unit manufacturer.

Apple is never going to allow you to do anything that requires more than a quick glance at the screen. Nor are the automakers. And then there’s the US regulators to contend with.

What we have now could possibly be expanded a little, but not much.

symphony

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 25, 2016
These sound like they are more of an implementation problem for your automaker or head unit manufacturer.

Apple is never going to allow you to do anything that requires more than a quick glance at the screen. Nor are the automakers. And then there’s the US regulators to contend with.

What we have now could possibly be expanded a little, but not much.

Screenshot 2023-06-21 at 4.55.11 PM.png

These look like they're more than just quick glances...

But exactly, I want features that let you quickly glance at it, hence why I want Apple to extend more glanceable and accessible information to iPhone via a car specific StandBy mode, rather than just displaying a black screen when it is on a MagSafe mount.

Like... Apple's next generation CarPlay literally has these car specific widgets. Why buy a new car with it when you can extend your iPhone's functionality like you can now with StandBy? Just move these next gen CarPlay widgets to my iPhone and make it function specifically for car usage. Like I mentioned earlier, you'll no longer clog up the main screen, which is what the next generation CarPlay is basically doing.

Screenshot 2023-06-21 at 4.54.12 PM.png

Think of that top screen as if it was your iPhone ^

In no way are these duplicative, I was suggesting features that are car specific which do not exist with StandBy mode. It is contextually different.

I rather not have Apple waste time on making sticker features.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.