Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
Overflow is a random chance where when you add components to a research project it "overflows" into another component, reducing the amount of components you need to complete that research. This is useful if you don't have many resources for research or can complete research faster and have materials leftover.

And even if you don't have all the resources yet, you can still put them into the research and it banks those components in, which will free up inventory space.

Thanks

Pezimak

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2021
I tried this again last night, it’s not for me. I just found it boring and annoying to play. Also doesn’t look particularly next gen on my Series X. Got it on Game Pass so no loss. I haven’t got endless hours to poor into it.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
I tried this again last night, it’s not for me.
How far did you get?

I found the initial portion, was just too slow for my liking. I think the game picks up right after starting the main quest on New Atlantis.

Also if other Bethesda games don't grab you, i.e., Fallout 4, Skyrim, then this isn't the game for you.

Digital foundry did a comparison of game play on the Xbox, PC and from what I watched it was clear that the xbox was playing on medium settings. You get more visual fidelity if you're on a PC and you have a top tier GPU - even then it appears 4090s are not getting huge frame rates in the highest visual settings.

Reactions: Howard2k

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Got it on Game Pass so no loss. I haven’t got endless hours to poor into it.
I forgot to mention since you didn't pay for it, maybe revisit it in a few months after patching to see if the game has evolved into something that will grab you. I think if you're on gamepass you may have endless hours, because you have nothing to lose, but that's just my understanding.

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
I'm 30 hours in and haven't hit the main quest line yet. It's a super slow start, even more if you spend time exploring. So vast and beautiful though. I'll start on the main quests over the weekend perhaps.

Reactions: jimmy_uk

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
I tried this again last night, it’s not for me. I just found it boring and annoying to play. Also doesn’t look particularly next gen on my Series X. Got it on Game Pass so no loss. I haven’t got endless hours to poor into it.

I only have a few hours in so far, and I can already tell it's a Bethesda game through and through. As @maflynn said, if you're not a Fallout or Skyrim fan, I don't think you're gonna like this. As for me, I'm pretty sure Starfield is gonna be a very, very big time sink.

Pezimak

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2021
I only have a few hours in so far, and I can already tell it's a Bethesda game through and through. As @maflynn said, if you're not a Fallout or Skyrim fan, I don't think you're gonna like this. As for me, I'm pretty sure Starfield is gonna be a very, very big time sink.
I like the Fallout games. But they were better and you got into the story a lot earlier, they made sense more too to me.

Reactions: dmr727

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
they made sense more too to me.
There is a sense of unknown - not story lore, but game play. Where as playing one of the other Bethesda games, you got up to speed in nearly all aspects very quickly. In Starfield there's a lot more parts of the game that can be a bit confusing.

I finally tried my hand at building an outpost. I followed on particular YT that provided a planet that easily filled up storage units with an hour of local sleep. It was a confusing mess and interacting with the build menu is not interactive. Still with that said, I spent hours in the game without even realizing it.

So I guess the moral of the story is the game has a level of complexity not found in other Bethesda games, but as you lean and use them, the game is very enjoyable.

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
So I just did the Mantis quest, where you have an oppotunity to get a new ship and nice armor early on in the game. I was a level 4 (maybe 5) when I started this, so it is a very early game bonus
There’s a glitch you can take advantage of to get better (IMO) armor from inside the Lodge itself - the Mantis stuff isn’t bad though.

Reactions: maflynn

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
the Mantis stuff isn’t bad though.
I like the mantis stats, I actually hate the mantis looks. Plus that armor is on the heavy side, I've got another suit that some decent armor rating, and stats but is looks better imo.

On a game play perspective. I'm really enjoying the solo aspect, I picked the introvert trait and that by far gives me better O2 options when going w/o a companion. I have a couple of folks as my crew but they stay in the ship.

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
I like the mantis stats, I actually hate the mantis looks. Plus that armor is on the heavy side, I've got another suit that some decent armor rating, and stats but is looks better imo.

On a game play perspective. I'm really enjoying the solo aspect, I picked the introvert trait and that by far gives me better O2 options when going w/o a companion. I have a couple of folks as my crew but they stay in the ship.
What about the loot? I need a packhorse with me at all times. 😆

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
I'm 30 hours in and haven't hit the main quest line yet. It's a super slow start, even more if you spend time exploring. So vast and beautiful though. I'll start on the main quests over the weekend perhaps.
It's well worth romping through the main quest to start with (meanwhile I've gone off on an immediate side quests black hole) to level up and to give you some direction. You really need to get your ship up to scratch as space battles get hard very quickly if you travel into deep space.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
What about the loot? I need a packhorse with me at all times. 😆
I don't mind getting over encumbered.

Also there comes a point where looting stops being cost effective. I found once I did the UC faction side question, where you deal with the Crimson Fleet - you get a boatload of credits. I'm sitting on over 400k of credits right now. I can easily cash out the vendor's credit allotment (typically 5k) on stuff that doesn't cause me to be over encumbered

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
I don't mind getting over encumbered.

Also there comes a point where looting stops being cost effective. I found once I did the UC faction side question, where you deal with the Crimson Fleet - you get a boatload of credits. I'm sitting on over 400k of credits right now. I can easily cash out the vendor's credit allotment (typically 5k) on stuff that doesn't cause me to be over encumbered
Nice. I just can't help myself, looting in games like this become an obsession. I'm trying to level up my modding abilities so I can get into weapon and spacesuit mods - I need parts for this. So Sarah comes as my carrier and I've stolen a large ship (space pirates parked it on a planet with the door open and keys still in it 🤑) and added loads of storage containers for all my ill-gotten gains. It flies like a pig!

I'm playing on the hardest setting for a challenge and the better loot.

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
I'm trying to level up my modding abilities so I can get into weapon and spacesuit mods
I forgot about modding weapons, I may have to dip my toe into that aspect. I usually like doing that in other Bethesda games.

I'm playing on the hardest setting for a challenge and the better loot.
I play on the wussie level, I like the idea of just playing and enjoying the story as it unfolds.

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
I forgot about modding weapons, I may have to dip my toe into that aspect. I usually like doing that in other Bethesda games.

I play on the wussie level, I like the idea of just playing and enjoying the story as it unfolds.
Shootout battles felt good but too easy - this was my main motivation to up the difficulty. Now I have to move and duck between reloads rather than just be a bullet sponge. I really like the weapons, hell - I like it all!

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
Not sure if you guys know, but the UC have a flight simulator you can use to level up some piloting skills.

I'm just starting some of the main quests. I have levelled up my weapons, suits, and my ship already from side quests and exploration. Built an Iron farm and an Aluminium farm. I'm at level 17, with some decent weapons, and nearly 200,000 credits in the bank. I'm ready! Loving this game so far.

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
I finished the Mantis mission. That was a decent challenge for sure, but lots of goodies out the other side. The Razorleaf is only a touch better than my upgraded Frontier, which I probably poured too much money into. But it's still better. The other rewards are superb! I probably left it late though. Level 19 coming out of the Mantis mission. I think I was level 17 when I went in.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
I probably left it late though. Level 19 coming out of the Mantis mission.
I think the biggest bang for your Buck is doing this mission when you’re a low level. I did this very early in my game play and so the delta between the frontier and mantis was greater

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
When you made it through to the Mantis lair, were the three robots all level 28 or thereabouts? Or does it dynamically scale and you had lower level enemies?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.