Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slattery69

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
Paid Shill
Just got my first cellular Apple Watch always had the non cellular. So previously just downloaded music to it.

Now when I go for a run I just want to stream my Apple Music from the watch but it always starts on the phone

So once I start my run I have to stop once out of phones range and restart the music. Is there a way to get it to start on the watch

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
Just got my first cellular Apple Watch always had the non cellular. So previously just downloaded music to it.

Now when I go for a run I just want to stream my Apple Music from the watch but it always starts on the phone

So once I start my run I have to stop once out of phones range and restart the music. Is there a way to get it to start on the watch
There seem to be some kind of bug in watchOS that AirPods will try to connect to iPhone so what you should do is forcing it to connect to the watch by going out of iPhone range and connect your headphone to the watch and play music and hopefully next time it will keep connecting to the watch.

onFIRE

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2022
I've had this problem too, and it happens when I get within range of my phone again which is annoying.

From this: https://support.apple.com/en-us/109319

Your Apple Watch uses Wi-Fi and Bluetooth to communicate with your paired iPhone. If you have cellular, your watch can also stay connected through a cellular network. Your watch switches between these intelligently to choose the most power-efficient connection.

I haven't tried this yet but maybe turning off BlueTooth on the phone temporarily will be an easy workaround.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.