Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
If you're going to buy a kit, then get a kit with the 18-55 mm kit lens, or something like a 16-85 mm lens (or something similar). Don't get one of those kits that includes both the 18-55 mm + 70-300 mm, or 18-55 + 55-200 mm lenses because most people are too lazy to switch lenses like that.

Personally, I'd get the 18-55 mm and a 30 or 35 mm lens. The 35 mm lens is a cheap lens that will give you a lot of fantastic photos with a lot of the qualities most people are looking for in their photos!

RWil85

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 2, 2010
If you're going to buy a kit, then get a kit with the 18-55 mm kit lens, or something like a 16-85 mm lens (or something similar). Don't get one of those kits that includes both the 18-55 mm + 70-300 mm, or 18-55 + 55-200 mm lenses because most people are too lazy to switch lenses like that.

Personally, I'd get the 18-55 mm and a 30 or 35 mm lens. The 35 mm lens is a cheap lens that will give you a lot of fantastic photos with a lot of the qualities most people are looking for in their photos!

Thanks..

I think the nikon D3000 w/ the 18-55mm lens for $500 might be a decent way to go..

I hate to rush purchases like this as I've only started looking recently; however, I have a christening and a few small getaways coming up over the next few weeks before I head back to school (I'm a teacher)..it would certainly be nice to have the camera for these occasions..

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
I hate to rush purchases like this as I've only started looking recently; however, I have a christening and a few small getaways coming up over the next few weeks before I head back to school (I'm a teacher)..it would certainly be nice to have the camera for these occasions..

Personally, I'm happy to switch lenses and find most of the time I like to be out past 150mm- but that's something you should decide. For low-light, I'd recommend the 35mm f/1.8 prime.

Paul

RWil85

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 2, 2010
Personally, I'm happy to switch lenses and find most of the time I like to be out past 150mm- but that's something you should decide. For low-light, I'd recommend the 35mm f/1.8 prime.

Paul

I'm dying to get a kit as I reckon the best way to learn is prob to get out and shoot..

However, some people are telling me to wait and see what comes out in the near future..but, I also have those trips coming up..

I don't know what to do :(

sprtnbsblplya

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2004
Arlington, VA
I'm dying to get a kit as I reckon the best way to learn is prob to get out and shoot..

However, some people are telling me to wait and see what comes out in the near future..but, I also have those trips coming up..

I don't know what to do :(

Don't wait. Nothing revolutionary in the pipes.
Just like with computers, they will always come out with new stuff.
I have my T1i from last year and it still has more power than what I fully utilize as I learn. Just get a kit you can afford, a decent tripod would be a good investment, maybe a flash, and start shooting.

flosseR

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2009
the cold dark north
Don't wait. Nothing revolutionary in the pipes.
Just like with computers, they will always come out with new stuff.
I have my T1i from last year and it still has more power than what I fully utilize as I learn. Just get a kit you can afford, a decent tripod would be a good investment, maybe a flash, and start shooting.

Best advice so far. Sure tonight there will the be D3100 announcement or whatever but that just plays in your hand. There might be still a small reduction over the next days. overall though, just pick a kit and get it. If you wait for the next good thing you will always wait.

RWil85

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 2, 2010
Nikon should be announcing the D5000 replacement tonight (plus 4 new lenses), so... wait. Prices should get even more decent soon.

Thanks..I did see that somewhere online - I hate waiting, though!

Should I look to grab a new model that is in the $500+ish price range or should I grab something like the D3000 (if I buy it now and the price drops - won't I have a 'price guarantee' for 30 days bc I'll have the receipt?) because it such an extensive list of good reviews?

Reason I ask is b/c I may be going away this weekend..

El Cabong

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2008
If you need something right away and don't want video, the D3000 is reasonably priced, although I don't think the low price guarantee will work retroactively.

designguy79

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2009
Michigan
from brief reading..dslr seems to be the way to go to take anything resembling semi-professional photgraphs.

I don't want to trample on your aspirations whatsoever, so please don't get me wrong here...

There are lots of really nice photos taken with regular old "point and shoot" digital cameras, and there are lots of very poor photos taken with DSLRs.

Remember that your camera, lens, lighting, etc, are all tools at your disposal.

Of course, the reason (practically) all pro's use DSLRs is because they do provide that superior set of tools/options over point-and-shoot cameras. (e.g., larger sensor size, interchangeable lenses, "fast" glass, granular level of control over the settings, etc)

Have fun!

Oh yeah, and get ready to justify spending lots of money if you find you love taking photos. It is addictive, in good way of course...

~ Jeremy

RWil85

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 2, 2010
I don't want to trample on your aspirations whatsoever, so please don't get me wrong here...

There are lots of really nice photos taken with regular old "point and shoot" digital cameras, and there are lots of very poor photos taken with DSLRs.

Remember that your camera, lens, lighting, etc, are all tools at your disposal.

Of course, the reason (practically) all pro's use DSLRs is because they do provide that superior set of tools/options over point-and-shoot cameras. (e.g., larger sensor size, interchangeable lenses, "fast" glass, granular level of control over the settings, etc)

Have fun!

Oh yeah, and get ready to justify spending lots of money if you find you love taking photos. It is addictive, in good way of course...

~ Jeremy

I'm sure you're right..in the end - all of these cameras are 'tools' and those who know how to use them best, will take the best photos...agreed.

I just figure - I'm going away this weekend..what a better time to be motivated to take photos and learn what the camera can do then when i'm in a foreign environment that will make for good shooting?

I would REALLY like some input on which package I should go for (i've read nothing but amazing reviews for the D3000):

A NEW Nikon D3000 with:

1. just a 8-55mm f/3.5 - f/5.6 zoom-Nikkor VR lens for $550

or.

2. the previous lens AND a Nikon Zoom-Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G IF-ED AF-S DX VR Zoom Lens for $750.

???

rekud

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2009
Ohio
Make sure you know what you are buying, and what everything is priced out at. Read, investigate, read some more.

Search DSLR Reviews, and you can find a ton of independent professional reviews and consumer reviews about any type of equipment you may be interested in.

There is a local listing on Craigslist for a D5000 kit package that the person is trying to sell for $1500. To the unknown, someone maybe thinking they are getting a great deal on a used camera with all this technology and equipment, when in reality, the whole package is around $800-$900 NEW.

thebrain74

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2006
Like you are thinking, I started out with a
D3000 + 18-55mm because I had a limited budget, and had never used a DSLR before so I wasn't super well versed.

~6 months later I picked up a D90 used. Much better camera is nearly all respects.

My advice to you.

-Get a used D90 (either now or after the replacement). Used they go for $650-700.

+ $100 for a refurb/used 18-55, and

+ $200 for a new 35mm f/1.8. I STRONGLY reommend the 35mm. It is a fantastic, small, light lens that has surprised me numerous times with really stunning photos.

ALT if you wanted so spend more to just get one usable lens, the 18-105mm is a great choice too and about $250 refurbed.

To echo others here. You need to try these cameras in stores. To me, the Canon rebel series felt cheap and their grip was too small. However after you are done feeling up cameras, walk out. Camera stores are legitimate money sinks. A Nikon plastic screen protector for my D90 was over $20! and a 77mm nikon pinch camp was $20 at a different store.

To me the only way it makes sense to buy photo gear is refurbed/used, otherwise is it just too darn expensive. Also that way if you want to trade up later on, you loose little if anything selling your gear. I personally bought a new D3000/18-55 kit, and a new 35mm f/1.8 (because the used ones only go for $10-20 cheaper, the lens is that popular). But the rest used: Nikon D90 (saved me $215+ over new), Sigma 50mm Macro (that was indistinguishable from new), nikon 55-200mm vr (saved $100 over new).

A great place to look for used gear is dgrin.com and fredmiranda.com

photography gets expensive quickly so save money where you can

El Cabong

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2008
I just figure - I'm going away this weekend..what a better time to be motivated to take photos and learn what the camera can do then when i'm in a foreign environment that will make for good shooting?

I would REALLY like some input on which package I should go for (i've read nothing but amazing reviews for the D3000):

A NEW Nikon D3000 with:

1. just a 8-55mm f/3.5 - f/5.6 zoom-Nikkor VR lens for $550

or.

2. the previous lens AND a Nikon Zoom-Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G IF-ED AF-S DX VR Zoom Lens for $750.

???

I'd say one lens at a time. The 55-200 is always going to be cheap, anyway. You'll have enough on your plate learning the new camera and lens; a second lens will just distract.

Also, the new D3100 is now available for pre-order.

egis

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2008
Bethesda, Maryland
Sorry, haven't posted back all day..

Thanks everyone for all of the great info!

Someone had mentioned an update to the Nikon D60 and others - I will most certainly wait for these model updates and possible price drops to older models while i learn..

Everything I read seems to mostly be about the Nikons or Canons, will most likely pick up one of those two..I took a peek at both of them today at a local Best Buy and both, seemingly, have good feel and quality..will have to take a further look once i arrow down on specs, etc.

Most have recommended a kit with a lens, which certainly seems common and the way to go..all in due time i guess, one step at a time here haha..

I'll likely be shooting special occasions, gatherings with friends and family, outings, vactions, etc..you know, the usual.

and then, i think Viggen61 said picking one camera over another due to it's feel is kinda like how we 'chose macs over PCs' haha, couldnt be more right..

sorry for the long post, anyway..keep the ideas/experiences/info coming!

The "likely" photo situations you state above suggests to me a very definite type of "all around" lens, that is not normally part of a kit package. One of the questions I asked when researching lenses was: "What lens do you normally carry on your camera regularly?"

Most of the responses I got was: 1) Not the kit lens, it is not great quality and it has too many limitations.
2) Most of my responses stressed the need for more wide angle to portrait capability. This way landscapes, groups, and face shots are generally possible with a single lens.

I do not know what Nikon carries, but Canon carries a 15 - 85 3.5-5.6, so it is reasonably fast and quite versatile. (In a full frame camera this is equal to 24 - 135. see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/APS-C) This is the lens I have attached to my camera regularly and is quite well suited for the type of photos you want to take. This is an EF-S lens so it can be used on APC based Canon. If you want to learn more about EF and EF-S lenses see: (http://www.slrphotographyguide.com/camera/canon-digital-slr/EF-EFS-lens.shtml).

Hope this further helps you narrow your search.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
1) Not the kit lens, it is not great quality and it has too many limitations.
2) Most of my responses stressed the need for more wide angle to portrait capability. This way landscapes, groups, and face shots are generally possible with a single lens.

Nikon's kit lenses have almost always been of good quality and value. In the last few years, Canon has also been putting out much better kit lenses. 18-55mm covers reasonably wide to portrait on an APS-C body. If you can't take landscapes, group shots and portraits with that focal range, the focal range of the lens is not the limiting factor.

Paul

RWil85

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 2, 2010
I ended up going with the D5000..I believe compuwar posted that he didn't mind switching between his 18-55 and 55-200mm lenses, so i went with that kit..today was the first day of my vacation and i went out and shot all morning...returned with some pretty sweet photos..

i do have a major problem though..on the Nikon 55-200mm VR lens that came with the Kit from Best Buy (sorry to buy from there - but, i really wanted the kit to take away with me!), there is a piece of 'something' lodged on the underside of the lens!! what do i do about this as i just unpackaged it yesterday to bring with me..ideas?

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
i do have a major problem though..on the Nikon 55-200mm VR lens that came with the Kit from Best Buy (sorry to buy from there - but, i really wanted the kit to take away with me!), there is a piece of 'something' lodged on the underside of the lens!! what do i do about this as i just unpackaged it yesterday to bring with me..ideas?

"Something?" "Lodged?" Pictures please.

Paul

cherry su

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2008
How about buying a used body and a better lens? I think you'll be happier with a better standalone lens than with the kit lens.

RWil85

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 2, 2010
"Something?" "Lodged?" Pictures please.

Paul

it is hard to tell whether or not it is a piece of gunk/fuzz or a very tiny crack in the glass..

all that i know is that i take care of my belongings and within 18 hours of it being opened and switching the lens out one time - this happened.

I cant post a pic right now, but surely will if i can in the near future..

scottkifnw

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2008
Trophy Club, TX
One more thing

I have had a couple of Nikons, and now have a Canon 50D with a few lenses. I think both are excellent cameras and you won't go wrong with either. Of course you will have to choose a model, and we all gave good ideas about lenses.

One thing that helped me to decide to switch to a Canon was the menus that are used to control the camera. Really, it is software. I switched from an older Nikon which had clunky menus that were hard for me to work with, while the new Canon had a more intuitive menu system. I don't know what the new Nikon menus are like, as I didn't look into them.

So my advice to you is to continue looking at cameras like you are doing. You might also want to buy a cf card (4 GB is likely more than enough), and a card reader. Go to the camera store and shoot some pics with each camera. Take the same subject and make each camera as similar as possible.

This will give you an idea how to handle the cameras, the menus, etc. Go home and see what the pics look like. Also a real local camera store (not BB) would be great for you. Pick their brains about the cameras you have narrowed it down to. I have found that camera store personnel are passionate and have a wealth of information, and they are eager to help. BB is a crap shoot at best for camera equipment.

Good luck, and post some pics.

sek

Am looking to get into Digital Photography..

was wondering if anyone could suggest a decent starter kit as I do not have the slightest idea what brands are reputable, what hardware/software i might need, etc..

can someone get me started? thanks in advance!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.