Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Edge100

macrumors 68000
May 14, 2002
Where am I???
For a lens of its price, its capabilities at low light don't really matter.

Huh?

The whole point of fast glass is to be able to shoot in low light (well, that an to get OOF effects, which, frankly, the 50/1.8 isn't all that great at either, unless you like pentagon-shaped bokeh).

The 50/1.8 is an absolute dog at focusing in low light. If that is why you're buying it, don't waste your time.

Not to mention the fact that on a crop sensor body, it's too long to be a walkaround.

If you're just learning, stick with the kit lens, which will allow you to learn the camera functions and to compose photographs. They wont be super contrasty or super sharp, but you'll learn. Then move up to a decent prime or zoom lens (or two).

RainCityMacFan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2007
NC
At the moment I'm going to aim with the XTi with the nifty fifty seeing that learning proper composition should be the first thing.

Yet because of that, I think I'll be investing in the EF 18-55mm IS later. But I have been hearing that the IS and the new kit lens is soo much better (thanks guys) than the XTi, so I guess I'll just save for the IS.

Thanks,
KJ

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.