Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kwajo.com

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Bay of Fundy
Abstract said:
...the Samsung models are basically Pentax models anyway, but with a different Samsung badged lens made by that Schneider company (forgot the name). It also uses the same mount as the Pentax, so it should be able to use all of Pentax's lenses.

just as a point of clarification, the lens that comes with the Samsung is branded as a Schneider-Kreuznach, but it is actually a rebranded Pentax DA 18-55. Don't ask me why Samsung wanted to rebrand both the body AND the lens (and make them different from each other no less), but they did.

Buschmaster

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 12, 2006
Minnesota
Are the *ist DS and *ist DL basically the same?

Also, which is better between the K110 and the *ist series? It seems like you implied that the K series is better, but I wanted to clarify that.

Is image stabilization worth $100? Is it a huge difference in quality?

kwajo.com

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Bay of Fundy
the *ist series and the K series are pretty similar, in fact they use the same sensor, so for example unless you're getting the K100, skip the K110 and just get an *ist.

As for the difference between the models in the *ist series, they are all smaller differences. The best they made was the *ist DS (which I have) so if you can find it pick one up. The DL has a bigger LCD but uses a pentamirror instead of the pentaprism, doesn't have as many auto-focus spots and doesn't support sync on older TTL flashes. They both have the same sensor and metering though, so the DL will be fine unless you want the best viewfinder available in the price range (the DS)

Buschmaster

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 12, 2006
Minnesota

kwajo.com

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Bay of Fundy
lenses can be perfectly fine used, I have bought many that way, but when it comes to a digital SLR body, I'd only buy new. Others may disagree, but those are just my thoughts

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Abstract said:
t
- Pentax K100 (because it has optical stabalization)
- Samsung GX-1S or Pentax *ist DS (whichever is cheapest)
- Nikon D50 (great company and a nice camera)

THere is a trade off between the way image stabalization works on the Pentax and the Nikon. With the Pentax system the IS is done in the body the advantage is that (1) you only pay for it once and (2) it works with every lens. but the Nikon system of building IS into the lens is that it works much beter when it is in the lens. The IS feature is much more usfull on longer lenses and the Pentax system is less and less effective the longer the lens while the Nikon system scales. So you have to decide if you want a moderatly effective IS that works with moderate lenses (Pentax) or a more effectie and expensive system that is built intoonly selected lenes.

Note what I said earlier about picking the Lens First. If you like the Nikon VR AFS Lenses then you need to buy a Nikon body. But maybe you like the Pentax system. The point it your select a __system__ not just one part at a time.

Buschmaster

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 12, 2006
Minnesota
kwajo.com said:
is it just a body or the kit with a lens?
Just a body, but that leaves the opportunity to buy lenses used, or ones I find better myself. However, there are kits available as well. For $549 with DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL Digital SLR Lens. You also get a lens hood and lens caps.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
ChrisA said:
There is a trade off between the way image stabalization works on the Pentax and the Nikon.

Yes that's true, but since he was interested in Pentax and wanted to know which model was best because he couldn't tell the difference.

In all honesty, I find very little difference between them. They all seem to use the same sensor, but maybe the menus are different or something. I'm not quite sure. However, the K100 is easily the best of the bunch if he's loooking at the K110 and DL models. The "K" models are newer and is in the direction Pentax wants to go, but not sure what improvements were made to the old *ist designation.

And if you're seriously concentrating on Pentax, then I'll leave you to Kwajo, since he's the resident Pentax expert. ;)

Just wanted to note that if you want lenses, Pentax makes lenses. Sigma, Tamron, and Tokina are 3rd party vendors that also make lenses, and they make many of their lenses for the Pentax K-mount.

@Kwajo: Is there really a difference between the Samsungs and Pentax in any way? I mean, are the menus different or body different in build or quality?

Mr. G4

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2002
Rohnert Park, CA
beavo451 said:
I don't understand the compromise part...

Olympus is a good company, however their image quality is not as good as Canon or Nikon.

What do you mean by that?
Every one envie the Olympus color rendering.

beavo451 said:
Their lens lineup is not as extensive and not as widely available. Plus, there are less users of the cameras and so there are less people to help with camera specific technical problems/questions.

Do you know what they say about quality over quantity right?
What is the point of having a douzen of crap to choose from? Olympus built good quality lens and they cover the range as well. 8, 11-22, 14-54, 50-200 that is evquivalent of 35mm of 16, 22-44, 28-108 and 100-400.

beavo451 said:
Plus, there are less users of the cameras and so there are less people to help with camera specific technical problems/questions.

So is that why you choose Mac over PC also when you have problem there are less people to help you?

Olympus has the best value offering for anyone who wants to get into DSRL with their E-500 and dual lens kits (that beats any given day the kits from Canon or Nikon).Right now at Costco you can have it for $669 for the body and two lens.

Mr. G4

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2002
Rohnert Park, CA
Buschmaster said:
Update!!!!

My dad has a Canon AE-1. The Speedlite 177A. At least according to the user manual.:)

He said he looked into it and they use a different setup now, so we probably wouldn't be able to share lenses.

AE-1 doesn't have autofocus...so all his lens would be manual focus.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
well, i don't want to sound like an old foggie b/c i'm not, but if you're going to college, are you really going to have the time to utilize an SLR? not being a jerk...asking a serious question? for the cost, if you've got a good camera, then maybe keep it going until you feel you have the time? plus, are you staying at home or going away? i would be scared crapless about having an SLR and all the gear with it in my dorm and having it ripped off ugh.

i wanted to go the slr route, but i don't have time (2 kids, business at home) to learn the ropes so i bought a great PS canon S3. it's got a 12x optical which allows me to frame in nicely. the macro feature is fantastic. when i have the time to learn more about slr and lenses etc..etc.., then i'll upgrade.

whatever you do, it sounds like you'll have fun as you are interested in taking good pics so best of luck.

hope my post doesn't come off like a bad guy :)

Buschmaster

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 12, 2006
Minnesota
Yeah, that's just it. It's beautiful where I'm going to college and I may even take a few photography courses.:)

Mr. G4, I get what you're saying about the Olympus. I really do. And it makes sense. However, I'm really liking Pentax right now, I'm seeing a lot of nice things about them that I'd like. There are the same for Olympus, but I'm really steered towards Pentax for more reasons.

Any opinons on the $549 kit?

beavo451

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2006
Mr. G4 said:
What do you mean by that?
Every one envie the Olympus color rendering.

Do you know what they say about quality over quantity right?
What is the point of having a douzen of crap to choose from? Olympus built good quality lens and they cover the range as well. 8, 11-22, 14-54, 50-200 that is evquivalent of 35mm of 16, 22-44, 28-108 and 100-400.

So is that why you choose Mac over PC also when you have problem there are less people to help you?

Olympus has the best value offering for anyone who wants to get into DSRL with their E-500 and dual lens kits (that beats any given day the kits from Canon or Nikon).Right now at Costco you can have it for $669 for the body and two lens.

Quality over quantity? Nikon and Canon essentially have a good "consumer" lens and then a better "pro" lens. What lens have they made is pure "crap"?

Jealous of Olympus color? Sure they are good, but I haven't noticed a stunning difference. Want good color? Buy a Fuji.

Body plus two lenses? Again, as you have said, quality over quantity. The Image produced by the body and those two lenses is not as good as say a D50 with kit lens. Heck, the 4MP image from a D2H with an 18-70 lens is sharper and has more detail than the Olympus combo.

Buschmaster

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 12, 2006
Minnesota
I didn't mean to start a debate...:(

Oh! I have an idea! *cues music*

Why can't we be friends? Why can't we be friends? Why can't we be friends?

How about we all agree on all the cameras are great? Can we please?

kwajo.com

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Bay of Fundy
Abstract said:
@Kwajo: Is there really a difference between the Samsungs and Pentax in any way? I mean, are the menus different or body different in build or quality?

well as far as I know, the physical aspects are the same, (except from branding and painting of course), but the menus are a bit different. I think the menu difference in just UI though and the image processing is all the same, since the RAW output files are based on the same algorithms.

Buschmaster

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 12, 2006
Minnesota
Well, right now B&H has this:
Samsung Digimax GX-1L, 6.1 Megapixel, SLR, Digital Camera with Schneider D-XENON 18-55mm Lens

On sale for $539...

Titch cheaper than Amazon's Pentax set... Thoughts?

kwajo.com

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Bay of Fundy
well it's the same camera under the skin (well on the skin too really), so why not?
A friend of mine picked up a good deal on an *ist DL (which is the Pentax equivalent of the Samsung ou mentioned) a few weeks ago and he loves it, just shot 800 photos of a wedding on the weekend and while he's no pro, he did pretty well, didn't have to spend much time learning the camera's basics at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.