Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Drove up to San Francisco for a week and then driving back down the 1 to LA to spend the day at Universal for my Son's 10th birthday.
I was in SF last year for Oracle's OpenWorld and loved it. I really want to take another trip with the family to SF. At some point in the future perhaps we will.

Reactions: bwhinnen

AlliFlowers

macrumors 601
Jan 1, 2011
L.A. (Lower Alabama)
My first trip to Alaska. The views have been beyond breathtaking.
IMG_1031.JPG IMG_1038.JPG IMG_1054.JPG

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Soon will be embarking on a Viking Ocean Criuse, the Mediterranean Explorer. About 5 years ago, we did a Viking River Cruise from Amsterdam to Budapest and was quite pleased with it. Fingers crossed this one is as good. Note, I am picky about my cruises as I don't consider the ship to be the important destination, but the quality of the port stops.

LRG-MAP_MediterraneanExplorer_956x690_tcm13-15573.jpg

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
Soon will be embarking on a Viking Ocean Criuse, the Mediterranean Explorer. About 5 years ago, we did a Viking River Cruise from Amsterdam to Budapest and was quite pleased with it. Fingers crossed this one is as good. Note, I am picky about my cruises as I don't consider the ship to be the important destination, but the quality of the port stops.

It's nice that your overnights are in Barcelona and Rome

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
It's nice that your overnights are in Barcelona and Rome

I've flown into Rome before, the airport sits outside the city, but immediately left for Florence-Tuscany region. If you've been to Barcelona, any suggestions? The boat sits there for 2 days before departing. My wife insisted we go see a Flamenco Dance the first night there, that is if we are functional (jet lag). ;)

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
That's a nice choice. We already have plans for this summer (Newfoundland, PEI, etc.), but are looking at a Viking tour doing Budapest to Prague for 2017.

The River Cruise was the best. No 2 days at sea to get somewhere, bring your room with you, stay on the boat if you want (we never did). :) At the time Viking did not offer a cruise from Budapest to Prague, but we went to Prague too and had to take a 4 hr bus ride to get there. I need to look at a map and see if the river goes from Budapest to Prague. :p Two days there to roam around down town and went to the Terezin Concentration Camp, near Prague, sobering. :( In both Budapest and Prague interesting perspectives about being post USSR.

Budapest was the coolest city we visited on that (Amsterdam-Budapest) trip. However the coolest place (for me) was the Windmill World Heritage site at Kinderjik, quiet at the time of year we went (end of Oct) peaceful, pastoral, and like stepping back in time. :)

kinderdijk_20.jpg

Reactions: LizKat and Tilpots

Ulenspiegel

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2014
Land of Flanders and Elsewhere
@Huntn: May I ask what did you like in/about Budapest? What was different compared to other cities you visited? And what did you mean by "In both Budapest and Prague interesting perspectives about being post USSR"?
Sorry, for so many questions, I am just interested.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
@Huntn: May I ask what did you like in/about Budapest? What was different compared to other cities you visited? And what did you mean by "In both Budapest and Prague interesting perspectives about being post USSR"?
Sorry, for so many questions, I am just interested.

I liked the atmosphere, architecture, and the old world feel of Budapest. Prague while having nice older buildings had many more modern UGLY buildings with no redeeming qualities. I'm not sure when those buildings appeared, but they had that Eastern Block look to them. Even Vienna had modern buildings that did not seem to fit in with the traditional architecture. Budapest seemed least changed although there were a few modern buildings, they did not seem to stick out in a negative way. The reasons for that are unknown, could be a tight budget or protection of their historic districts?

We heard several comments about when the Communists where here and how in Budapest during the time of the USSR, if you were a Western tourist, it would not be unusual to find yourself followed by shady looking government types. In Prague we visited a Church and our guide, a young woman told us she that many do not go to church because during the USSR it was a bad thing to do. I suppose she when she was a child. She said she was not religious. That did not bother me in particular as we all have to find our path though this life. :)

budapest_tourist_guide_index.jpg

budapest-thermal-baths_7607_600x450.jpg

budapest_2845504b.jpg

Reactions: determined09

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Florida is our usual destination, with two kids, going to DisneyWorld is always a favorite of ours. This coming summer though we'll be looking to go camping up in New Hampshire, another favorite activity for the kids :)

Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Beautiful pics! They yours?

@Huntn: Thank you for the answer and for the wonderful pics. (Btw, don't beleive those stories, they have nothing to do with reality ;)).

I have pics, but for convienence, those examples were scooped from the net.

Florida is our usual destination, with two kids, going to DisneyWorld is always a favorite of ours. This coming summer though we'll be looking to go camping up in New Hampshire, another favorite activity for the kids :)

I love New Hampshire. Considered moving there in the 1990s, but my work commute would have been difficult.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I love New Hampshire. Considered moving there in the 1990s, but my work commute would have been difficult.
The white mountains area, including North Conway is probably my favorite place in the world. If the wife and I could figure out how to move there (with our jobs, money, and kids) we would.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Barcelona, Spain- Sagrada Familia. I'm not a big church person, but I've always been impressed by cathedrals. This is unique, huge, and unfinished, started in 1882 with Catalan architect Antoni Gaudí credited with the design. Most interesting is how much natural light is in the building compared to the normal dark and dingy 12th century cathedral. :)

800px-Sagrada_Familia_01.jpg

We also saw Casa Mila, by the same architect. Both buildings are UNESCO World Heritage sites. Neither of these are my pics.

pedrera_gaudi_place-full.jpg

I haven't had a vacation for 23 years. There's been a few trips the last 10 years, but these are mainly a combination of work and some photography.

You are overdue. ;)

MacSociology

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2006
Battleground Europe?!
I don't really need it. My worktime tend to vary a lot for the last 2-3 years. Some weeks (6-8 weeks) I'll be working 14-16 hours per day while other weeks it's only 4-6 hours. Normally it's only approx. 8 hours. Life is pretty good at the moment, and I get to do what I enjoy the most.

I'm also considering to start working as a assistent in junior high working with kids.

filmbufs

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2012
Oklahoma

LRG-MAP_MediterraneanExplorer_956x690_tcm13-15573.jpg
That looks like a great trip, @Huntn. How many days does the cruise last? If your overnights are in Rome and Barcelona, how do the other ports of call work? Do you get hours in port or is the duration longer? Are hours in a port enough time to explore?

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
I mostly just hit the county fair these days, since I have long since realized my dream of living where I used to vacation up here in the mountains. However, some of my family love traveling, so I of course collect the impressions they mail back home. Below is one that actually tempted me. It was taken in Sitka, Alaska. There was another photo from there of two eagles “chatting” from the tops of twin masts on a fishing boat in the harbor (probably agreeing to skip the hunting step and try going right to the feast) but I seem to have misplaced it. Anyway I’ll probably stick with my ventures to the county fair. Still, I hope my kin keep getting on those planes and boats because they send back some great desktop photos. Here's Sitka Sound, Alaska (2011).

Sitka Sound, Alaska (2011).jpg

Reactions: Huntn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.