Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
need to stay on line, hard to find ones that last all night, and there may be ads and sometimes the adblocker fails. Also you just want the *sound*. you don't want the static or nearly-static picture to be sitting on the OLED tv's screen all that time. (Not that the ad blocker works there, so doubly useless.)
You can lock your phone: https://www.macrumors.com/how-to/listen-youtube-background-iphone-free/

Admittedly, I have YouTube Premium, so all of these are not an issue (no ads, videos can be downloaded and played on repeat in the background). The real issue is that I find Apple’s offering too limited and repetitive in the options offered.

Reactions: Lyrics23

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I'd like for this to be available on the Apple Watch. I don't always want my phone nearby, so this would be great on the watch. For some reason, Dark Noise isn't available on it either, so I use the free version of Endel.

name99

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2004
Hah! Another feature I'm going to claim credit for :)
I suggested Apple provide something like this for situations (like a coffee shop) where you want to use your AirPods Pro to tune out background noise, but your brain still latches onto the conversation that breaks through the AirPods Pro noise cancellation, so you want a "neutral" sound to overwhelm that conversation.

There are some WILD options in Accessibility and Accessibility Shortcut that Apple (for who knows what reasons) never publicizes. Magnifier is great for anyone over 45 (ie bad eyes) but take a look at Live Captioning, for example. Did you know your phone could do that?

kurtfoster

Contributor
Mar 8, 2009
As much as I love technology, the better idea would be to switch off all your gadgets and take a day or two off and sit down with an actual book or take a walk in the forest. Just an idea.

Reactions: tomekwsrod

lfaa

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2019
Or open Music and select your favorite ambient album. Or listen to SomaFM drone zone channel. This is my two options when I need to focus on something

jchurchill

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2021
I've been using this feature for years (MacOS and iPhone). But it's very buggy. Always has been. There are many complaints on apple's website about it going dead randomly and not coming back on. Not a great feature when you are surrounded by sounds you want to drown out and suddenly you can't.

Kay_Ess

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2022
Hey yo wow wow I didn’t even know that that Control Centre was editable. So I can replace the timer (I have a Watch/Siri for that) for something I do use and can even replace the Home thing with 8 (!) useful functions..??!

Thanks for the guide!

carlsbergbeer

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2005
Thanks! I need to play noise for my infant and toddler to sleep and this is way better than the app (full of screen ads) I was using.

Marzzz

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2002
The Desert
I have been using an App called “Sleep Fan” and a Bluetooth speaker at bedside for quite some time now. It does have a timer so that it fades out after a specific amount of time.

i4k20c

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2005
Or just add Hearing to Control Center—I have mine positioned so that it’s right under the volume slider. As an added bonus it also lets you know if your music volume goes over 80 decibels when using headphones.
how do you reposition control center icons to where you want?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.