Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

txa1265

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
Why not a Lenovo Legion Go?
Personally, both the Lenovo and ASUS are made by companies with poor quality & history of support, and the Ally simply FEELS inferior to the Deck when playing. (I walked into a store planning to buy one - already had a Deck - and left empty handed because it is flimsy). ASUS support in particular is notoriously bad - and the Ally has a number of really terrible issues such as destroying SD cards.

Plus, for all of the 'on paper' advantages, you are still looking at a general purpose Windows install vs. a purpose built Linux device. Made by the people who make Steam. It is why the benchmarks say the Ally/Go should be much better than the Deck but in reality ... not so much.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Personally, both the Lenovo and ASUS are made by companies with poor quality & history of support, and the Ally simply FEELS inferior to the Deck when playing. (I walked into a store planning to buy one - already had a Deck - and left empty handed because it is flimsy). ASUS support in particular is notoriously bad - and the Ally has a number of really terrible issues such as destroying SD cards.

Plus, for all of the 'on paper' advantages, you are still looking at a general purpose Windows install vs. a purpose built Linux device. Made by the people who make Steam. It is why the benchmarks say the Ally/Go should be much better than the Deck but in reality ... not so much.
I have an ASUS Creator's laptop and I've had a Lenovo Flex laptop, both of which were very good devices, as good as any Apple laptop computers I've had.

However, cheaper products from any company are subject to cost-saving measures. I wouldn't buy a laptop computer for US$500 new. It's not likely to be good.

In the past, I've mentioned that neither ASUS nor Lenovo have a game launcher to make it an integrated experience, but some people don't want that. I was told by one such user, that he takes his Steam Deck to work, adds a keyboard and mouse, plugs into the power, and plays at his desk when he has nothing to do.

kaioshade

macrumors regular
Nov 24, 2010
My LE has shipped. I am pretty excited to jump into a Steam Deck again. I ended up selling the first one, as it did not fit my use case at the time, however with myself traveling more, I will definitely get use out of it now.

Reactions: txa1265

Big Bad D

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2007
France
Shipping notification received and on it's way yesterday to France. I'm not a big game player, but look forward to using it when regularly traveling.

Reactions: mr_jomo

mr_jomo

Cancelled
Dec 9, 2018
Shipping notification received and on it's way yesterday to France. I'm not a big game player, but look forward to using it when regularly traveling.
Some here - over the moon .... now it's time to get back to padding my Steam library with hugely discounted games I'll never play or even download 🤣.

Speaking of - the first thing I'll play will probably be Trails in the Sky SC. Fitting continuation from where I left of my PS Vita 🤩

Reactions: txa1265

txa1265

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
I LOVE the Legend of Heroes Series ... started with 'A Tear of Vermillion' on PSP which was apparently the first North American release of a LoH game ... then after that trilogy on PSP moved to PS Vita and then Switch.

Got notified my 1TB Steam Deck OLED will arrive tomorrow (11/22) .. which is a quandary since I'm about 60 hours into Cyberpunk and I KNOW it will look better but I have the settings tweaked nicely to delivery 60FPS on medium settings.

Isengardtom

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2009
Mine should arrive today - waiting delivery. It's my first handheld gaming device since I had a gameboy in the 90s so pretty excited

mr_jomo

Cancelled
Dec 9, 2018
SC is amazing on the Steam deck OLED - uses about 5-6 watts for a good 9-10 hours play time pr. charge.

Got Control from GMG for €8.02, couldn't put it down 🤩.

Reactions: Isengardtom

txa1265

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
I've gotten mine as well (last Wednesday), and enjoying it ... but had decided to finish up Cyberpunk on my original before jumping over for real - and still going.

Edit: forgot to mention the improved download speeds ... we got fiber internet and installed a mesh network last month, so everything is already better - but watching downloads of a few large games just scream by at ~600+MBPS was wild.

Last edited:

rezenclowd3

macrumors 65816
^Also updated Wifi 6, separate BT card/antennae for more stability, a couple cosmetic changes. Point 4 inches more screen diagonally, but sadly still huge bezel. A few other internal changes and better torx screws....

I am not upgrading, would like to but instead just wait for Steam D2CK
Well I was able to sell my LCD 512 for ~$80 less than I bought it for. Listed it for ***** and giggles and someone bought hook line and sinker.

My 512 OLED arrived last Friday after Thanksgiving so I swapped in my 2TB SSD and 1TB MicroSD. I must say the screen really is a big improvement as is the latency. I have been replaying Grime and my timings are much more effective. With this and Wifi 6, which I have 5 APs in my house via Ubiquiti, remote play has been a touch nicer as well.

I also started off with a -20/-20/-20 undervolt, and the vent temps are so much more reasonable.

Either way, I was happy with my LCD deck outside of the even larger screen bezel and terrible colors. Looking forward now to a few horror titles since I can actually have blacks!

Last edited:
Reactions: mr_jomo and txa1265

kaioshade

macrumors regular
Nov 24, 2010
I have been playing with my OLED for the last few days. Absolutely fantastic refresh over the LCD version, and the larger screen really does it. the LE also is slightly lighter than the LCD, which is nice for longer sessions.

I love this thing enough it may be my primary machine for lounging around. If I want something at 4K visuals, I always still have the machine in the living room to use. Especially for the heavier games. (I think Forspoken will cause this thing to catch fire in my hands LOL)

Isengardtom

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2009
There’s some sales on steam for another few hours so maybe a good time to pick up some games

its my first experience with something running on Linux but so far it’s been really great.

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
Yooooooo! There's new Steam Deck startup movies. One of them is a Elden Ring one with Ranni the Witch. Another is a Persona 5 Royal themed one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.