Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

turbineseaplane

macrumors Pentium
Mar 19, 2008
Steve did not do 'diversification' at all. Which was, in my view, one of his great strengths. He knew exactly what he wanted the user to have, and that is exactly what they got, whether he was right or wrong.

This is honestly what's missing now

Steve, if around, might have us just as locked down, but I'm convinced the actual products and polish (especially on Software) would be better ... and the lineups would be spec'd better at given price points.

One example:

Steve would have ProMotion everywhere by now -- not locked behind an upsell

Why?
Because it is simply better.

The usage experience is better for every Apple user if they have it on as many devices as it can put it on
(which is all of them now, if Apple chose to)

That's just one example of many

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
If you look at the product Steve Jobs was most remembered for, the creation of the Mac, you'll find that in 1984, there were no user serviceable parts inside, no upgrade options and the case was fixed with very unusual bolts, two of which needed a tool that only Apple had.
Well, yeah, but the original Mac had an old school CRT display inside with high tension circuitry prone to delivering lethal 20KV shocks, even after it was switched off and unplugged. User serviceable parts weren't an option. ISTR that the "special tool" was just a Torx bit on the end of a foot-long shaft - just enough of a hurdle to stop average joes frying themselves.

Maybe Jobs liked his consumer products to be sealed appliances (even if they didn't contain sudden death), but the pro products released during his tenures tended to be designed to be particularly easy to repair and upgrade. Starting with the Apple II - internal expansion slots (unlike the contemporary arch-rival TRS 80 and PET) and a lid that was held on with lego/velcro-ish stuff. NeXT Cube? Here's a video of it being dismantled with a handful of regular tools.

Then when back at Apple - yes, the iMac was sealed (but... colour CRT with even more killerVolts inside). On the other hand, there were all of those G3/G4/G5 towers with tool free access to the innards - just pop a few catches and they unfolded (the Scully-era Quadras etc. weren't bad, but these were a step forward in ease of opening). I never got my hands on a "cheesegrater" G5 tower, but the subsequent 2006 Mac Pro was likewise nearly tool-free and modular inside, even the hard drives pulled out on little sleds - far nicer to work on than the typical PC. The 27" LCD "all in the display" iMacs originally had the screen held on with magnets - opening them was delicate, but just needed a pair of suction cups. Even on the "unibody" MacBook Pro, the bottom came off with a handful of crosshead screws and the RAM, battery and hard drive were user-replaceable (the user manual had instructions for that). I was easily able to extend the life of my 2011 MBP by replacing the HD with a 256GB SSD and using a third party bracket to mount the old HD in place of the optical drive.

The non-upgradeable MBPs and the glued-together iMacs that you had to open with a pizza cutter only arrived in 2012, by which point Jobs was not available to blame.

To be fair - all current Macs use LPDDR RAM which have to be surface mounted as close to the processor as possible and can't be made user-upgradeable (although Samsung have user-upgradeable LPDDR modules coming out Real Soon Now). Making batteries safely user replaceable adds bulk - they batteries themselves have to be made rigid enough to survive mishandling outside of the case, or they have a nasty tendency to go "foom", and making a laptop 1mm thinner than the competition does seem to be a selling point for some - but there's no excuse for non-replaceable SSDs (the Pro and the Studio work fine with replaceable flash modules).

I don't think Jobs would have shied away from making iPads and MacBook Airs as sealed appliances - but I wonder what the MacBook Pros would have been like.

As for product diversity - remember Jobs was the guy who, after trimming the Mac line back to basics and focussing Apple on its core values or whatever, went off on a complete tangent and produced a pocket music player - to much initial derision - which turned out to make the difference between just keeping Apple afloat until the Wintel juggernaught finally rolled over them vs. turning them into today's mega corp.

The thing about "geniuses" is that you can't replace them with a bullet list on a Powerpoint slide.

ThomasJL

macrumors 68000
Oct 16, 2008
Apple makes great products which users are willing to spend on, and this is why they continue to be as profitable as they are. Scale is a byproduct of a properly functioning business model. If they are making more money, it just means that Apple is capable of monetizing premium experiences much more effectively and efficiently than anyone else, and I see no shame in this.
By that logic, since far more users were willing to spend money on Windows Vista than on Mac OS X Snow Leopard, and since Vista made far more money than Snow Leopard, then Vista should be considered a great product.

And also by that logic, since Microsoft has historically made far greater profits with all versions of Windows compared to all versions of Mac OS, then every version of Windows should be considered a greater product than every concurrent version of Mac OS.

I don't understand the logic of many people on this forum who (rightfully) criticize Microsoft for how awful Windows has been in comparison to Mac OS, and who (rightfully) don't equate Microsoft's 'huge sales numbers' with 'high quality', but then go on to praise Tim Cook by saying he is making excellent products because he sells a huge number of them.

Where is the logic in that?

Last edited:

za9ra22

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
Well, yeah, but the original Mac had an old school CRT display inside with high tension circuitry prone to delivering lethal 20KV shocks, even after it was switched off and unplugged. User serviceable parts weren't an option. ISTR that the "special tool" was just a Torx bit on the end of a foot-long shaft - just enough of a hurdle to stop average joes frying themselves.

Maybe Jobs liked his consumer products to be sealed appliances (even if they didn't contain sudden death), but the pro products released during his tenures tended to be designed to be particularly easy to repair and upgrade. Starting with the Apple II - internal expansion slots (unlike the contemporary arch-rival TRS 80 and PET) and a lid that was held on with lego/velcro-ish stuff. NeXT Cube? Here's a video of it being dismantled with a handful of regular tools.

Then when back at Apple - yes, the iMac was sealed (but... colour CRT with even more killerVolts inside). On the other hand, there were all of those G3/G4/G5 towers with tool free access to the innards - just pop a few catches and they unfolded (the Scully-era Quadras etc. weren't bad, but these were a step forward in ease of opening). I never got my hands on a "cheesegrater" G5 tower, but the subsequent 2006 Mac Pro was likewise nearly tool-free and modular inside, even the hard drives pulled out on little sleds - far nicer to work on than the typical PC. The 27" LCD "all in the display" iMacs originally had the screen held on with magnets - opening them was delicate, but just needed a pair of suction cups. Even on the "unibody" MacBook Pro, the bottom came off with a handful of crosshead screws and the RAM, battery and hard drive were user-replaceable (the user manual had instructions for that). I was easily able to extend the life of my 2011 MBP by replacing the HD with a 256GB SSD and using a third party bracket to mount the old HD in place of the optical drive.

The non-upgradeable MBPs and the glued-together iMacs that you had to open with a pizza cutter only arrived in 2012, by which point Jobs was not available to blame.

As for product diversity - remember Jobs was the guy who, after trimming the Mac line back to basics and focussing Apple on its core values or whatever, went off on a complete tangent and produced a pocket music player - to much initial derision - which turned out to make the difference between just keeping Apple afloat until the Wintel juggernaught finally rolled over them vs. turning them into today's mega corp.

The thing about "geniuses" is that you can't replace them with a bullet list on a Powerpoint slide.
I don't mean to appear dismissive when snipping your post when replying, but the original Mac had a discharge resistor that bled CRT voltage (about 9Kv) in less time than it took to open the back. Not entirely safe, but that wasn't Steve's interest. He set about building a computer appliance because he thought this was where computing ought to go. Also, because his experience of the Apple II was that if a user had a problem with anything that wasn't even an Apple product, such as the monitor, it was Apple that got the call to fix it. If they were going to get the problem to deal with, he wanted to be who supplied the entire system.

I actually agree. I was there in those days, and the digging in, pulling apart, tweaking, tinkering, upgrading, fixing was actually plain silly. His point was that a computer is a tool and needed to be used as one, not be the reason for their own existence and he was totally right - and still would be today.

On the 'pro' side, there was not a shred of choice but to give users access, because if that wasn't possible, no pro model could have sold. The market was, certainly by the time he returned to Apple in 97, sufficiently diversified on the pro side that the company couldn't in practice have made models to suit - there would have been far too many. Providing access was the only way to compete with others. And while it's true that CRT voltages are high so there's an excuse to keep them closed up, onboard PSUs in the G3 and G4 models could easily produce far more lethal current on components that were rather more accessible, so the closed architecture wasn't for that, it was purely, in the consumer space, a Jobsian philosophy.

As I say, I think he was right, and I also think the fact the company have largely returned to it is an indicator that the market for the vast majority of potential users now has returned to what his philosophy said it should have been.

As for diversity, of course he was looking for more than just the Mac. He had touted a digital hub functionality before, but it was only when Tony Fadell brought him the first ideas for an MP3 player that he knew what direction this should go. Not untypical, since even the Mac (or Lisa in fact) had not been Steve's idea, but an amalgam of ideas and proposals from Jef Raskin, and of course the fateful visit to Xerox Parc. He took that, got the first ideas wrong, got back on track and the first Mac was born... albeit severely constrained as a product by his refusal to give in to the ideas of others. Fadell also mapped out the iPhone as a product too.

I supported users with the first 128K Mac, and honestly, as much as there was a very clear promise in what it might one day be able to do, it was near useless as a functional computer - and hampered in development by his refusal to let other people inside it.

By the way, the near-impossible-to-work-on Macs dated well before 2012, as you'd know well if you ever tried to fix or upgrade G3 iBooks, G4 PowerBooks and even the G4 Mac mini. Like the sunflower iMac you could get inside these, but it was made extremely difficult, and often needed highly non-standard tools. His 'sealed appliance' view may have softened at bit, but he was firmly of the view that if anyone was ever going to get inside, it was an Apple approved technician at the very least.

Interesting though. We can't know of course, and speculation isn't helpful, but the biographies of Jobs are illuminating, as are the stories from people like Andy Hertzfeld and Bill Atkinson and Jerry Manock.

Anyway, thanks - your post was very thought provoking, and much appreciated!

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
By that logic, since far more users were willing to spend money on Windows Vista than on Mac OS X Snow Leopard, and since Vista made far more money than Snow Leopard, then Vista should be considered a great product.

And also by that logic, since Microsoft has historically made far greater profits with all versions of Windows compared to all versions of Mac OS, then every version of Windows should be considered a greater product that every concurrent version of Mac OS.

I don't understand the logic of many people on this forum who (rightfully) criticize Microsoft for how awful Windows has been in comparison to Mac OS, and who (rightfully) don't equate Microsoft's 'huge sales numbers' with 'high quality', but then go on to praise Tim Cook by saying he is making excellent products because he sells a huge number of them.

Where is the logic in that?
It means that we need to expand our definition of what a great product entails, and recognise that not everyone values the same thing equally.

I genuinely prefer using a Mac over a Windows PC, but it's also an undeniable fact that windows PCs vastly outnumber the number of Macs in circulation. Am I wrong? I don't think so. It just means that for the majority of users out there, they value properties such as price or expandability or the ability to game or even corporate compliance (stuff that the Mac doesn't offer or necessarily guarantee) and that's perfectly okay.

On the flip side, it's precisely because the Mac doesn't fulfil any of the aforementioned criteria that frees it to be the ideal device for my needs. For example, because Macs have traditionally never prioritised gaming, this allowed Apple to release form factors that you don't really see anywhere else, like the iMac form factor (which is bad for gaming because of poor heat dissipation and use of laptop parts, but I love it because of its unique 5k screen and compact design).

So the PC is a better fit for 80% of the world's population because of factors like price, just as the Mac is the better option for everyone else because of stuff like ecosystem integration and apple silicon. We each value different things, and this has enabled both Microsoft and Apple to be extremely successful in what they do. Microsoft by targeting to the masses and enterprise, and Apple by focusing on the niche high-end.

At the same time, let's take a closer look at what Apple is doing here. There is no other company in the same league as Apple when it comes to maintaining and updating such a wide and comprehensive ecosystem of devices and services that work seamlessly together. iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, Mac, Apple TV, (now) Vision Pro. This also means maintaining and updating 6 different software lines every year. In addition to their own ecosystem (maps, Siri, iCloud, iMessage, streaming services etc). I find it illogical to see all that Apple is doing, and conclude that they have lost their way as a result.

If you look at the product Steve Jobs was most remembered for, the creation of the Mac, you'll find that in 1984, there were no user serviceable parts inside, no upgrade options and the case was fixed with very unusual bolts, two of which needed a tool that only Apple had.

Not to belabour the point:

The original Macintosh was slammed out the door, hot on correcting the many mistakes to emerge with Lisa. The Macintosh was a gambit on what Jobs expected from how he thought future users would ultimately use home computers. He was, by and large, correct, but that doesn’t mean the Macintosh 128K/512K was a refined product.

The 128K was a literal proof-of-concept presented for sale for the well-heeled and the intrepid. It was a proof-of-concept available publicly the way the Public Beta of OS X was.

That it wasn’t designed with modular elements out of the box reflected more the challenge of getting a working product out the door in a timely manner with at least several of the major foibles from the Lisa more or less ironed out.

That the Macintosh Plus would arrive just two years later is the realization of a product whose prototype issues from the 128K/512K were ironed out enough to start planning ahead.

In those two years, the Macintosh moved from the short-lived, extremely limited MFS (no real nesting of directories) to the modernized HFS (introduced with the Plus). As well, the original Macintosh was supported only through System 3.2, whereas the Macintosh Plus, the refinement of those prototype teething experiences, débuted with System 3.0 and could run all the way through System 7.5.5.

As plans for the Macintosh Plus were already well underway (and would need to be, given the lead time on ordering the fabrication and manufacture of internal components) whilst Jobs was still at Apple during his first go-round, this wasn’t an instance of Sculley being dropped in following his prior guidance on the Apple II line, in which (magically) a semi-modular, upgradeable Macintosh came about in January 1986 — once that wily buccaneer, Jobs, had his sword taken from him in May 1985 (when he was reassigned to New Product Development and booted from Macintosh), to then walk the plank in September 1985. Arrr. 🏴‍☠️

(Sorry, I re-watched The Pirate Movie not too long ago.)

'Computing as an appliance, where the user bought it, booted it, used it, and never tinkered inside was Steve's plan, and Apple pretty much stuck to that all the time he was with the company. Even when he had returned, the machines which could be tinkered with such as the Aluminum PowerBooks, the G4 iMac, G4 Mac mini, and the early Intel iMacs prior to his death, were all either sealed shut, or were difficult and complicated to disassemble.

He wanted the Macintosh experience to be simple enough for even Harold and Linda to take out of the box, to plug in, and to get started without having to pull out the two or three, 350-page spiral-bound user manuals which shipped with the IBM PC of that moment.

The all-in-one package lent to that objective and served as an industrial design punctuation mark.

As for the PowerPC Macs after Jobs returned, the core principle of “simple enough” came through with the iMac — basically a re-stating of the original declaration made by the Macintosh. It came through with the first iBook.

Even so, latitude for upgrades and means to replace faulty parts continued not because the Spindler era ghost clinked its chains as a ghost does, but because it was straightforward; cost-effective (as, by that point, many components were commodity parts which appeared in computers generally, such as PCI buses, USB, PATA/ATAPI, and DIMMs/SO-DIMMs); and legible to a seasoned generation of computer users who didn’t really exist in such quanity in 1984, who knew things could be repaired, replaced, or upgraded.

That is: enough people in the world were using computers by the time of iMac and were aware of upgrades (like upgrading RAM) that using off-the-shelf components was, again, the simplest, most cost-effective way to deliver on the end product Jobs wanted out the door in a timely manner.

What followed with Apple hardware, as things tightened internally and parts got harder to reach (disclosure: I have done a fair bit of disassembly across every Mac between the iBook clamshell through the rMBPs of 2015), reflected something else Jobs was after, in unison with his chief industrial designer, Jony Ive: aesthetic elegance as a companion selling point unique to the Apple brand. The idea was to attract more new customers to the impression of “simplicity” — the same core tenet which went into Jobs’s objective for the Macintosh. Ive turned to Dieter Rams for inspiration.

To make that happen and to make that happen fresh and anew with each major product redesign, this meant upselling aesthetic features like “thinness”. With thinness came compromises the company could now begin to afford to ask for in their product designs: devising proprietary components and sockets; relying more heavily on adhesives to keep everything together; and, increasingly, locking out the repair market from replacing those components. (This latter one really only accelerated once Jobs handed the keys to that guy named Tim.)

Steve did not do 'diversification' at all. Which was, in my view, one of his great strengths. He knew exactly what he wanted the user to have, and that is exactly what they got, whether he was right or wrong.

Live by the sword, die by the sword. He was fortunate to be given a second lease on life on account of having NeXT as a bargaining chip, and from that second chance, he oversaw several memorable hits.

They weren’t all hits.

There were the hiccups. Some were speed bumps, whilst others were flops:
  • the G4 Cube;
  • the Core Solo/Duo & 32-bit EFI Intel models (with comically bad iGPUs);
  • the 3rd gen iPod nano;
  • the Yikes! Power Macintosh G4 (oh, do I have stories);
  • the Blue Dalmatian and Flower Power iMacs;
  • the brittle components on Titanium PowerBook G4s;
  • the griddle-hot, pre-unibody MacBook Pros;
  • the roll-out of OS X Cheetah;
  • the hockey puck mouse (which, real talk: I did like the ridged button revision);
  • the Apple Display Connector;
  • the fairly high failure rates of Power Mac G5s still under warranty coverage;
  • the GPU shorting out in ice and snow iBooks due to bad internal board design;
  • and so on.

It doesn't do him justice to remember only the bits we want him to be known for.

No, it doesn’t. The dude had his many, many, maaaany faults — something the brand-faithful have a tendency to downplay, dismiss or, worse, forget. He was an exemplar of “all your faves are problematic” and “never meet your heroes”.

Reactions: Chuckeee

calliex

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2018
Pittsburgh, Pa
Yes.

Tim Cook tries to provide as little as possible to customers as he can get away with. Basically, he gives as little as he can to the point where a large number of people are still willing to buy. For example, he is constantly taking hardware away from successive generations of iPhones. No headphone jack, then no headphones, then no Touch ID (which could easily have been provided in addition to Face ID), then no phone charger, then the previous year's iPhone's CPU on the current non-Pro models, etc. Cook saves Apple money by doing all of that, but he doesn't lower prices. He doesn't even keep prices the same, which would be bad enough. Instead, he has the shamelessness to actually raise prices whenever he removes hardware and give customers less.

Cook is a miser. People should call him Tightwad Tim.
Well said. My first powerbook came with a whole set of adapters some I used some I didn't. With the new computers, phones, etc. you are left to got 3rd parties, to connect to ext screens, many USBA thumb drives, standard headphones etc. You do not even get a charger for your new phone, yet we pay more for the device. I wonder if Steve would have been OK with it.

Reactions: ThomasJL

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
On the 'pro' side, there was not a shred of choice but to give users access, because if that wasn't possible, no pro model could have sold.
True, "pro" Macs at the time had to be user serviceable (socketed RAM, expansion bus etc.) - but the 1999 blue and white G3 towers, all the way through to the 2006 Mac Pro, really went the extra mile to allow tool free access and modular internals. Apple didn't have to do that - competing PCs were user serviceable, but no effort was made to make them easy to service.

...and although some of the first post-Jobs wave of pro systems (Mac II etc.) were designed for easy access, by the time you got to PPC Macs that had started to disappear.

My point was that Jobs accepted the distinction between consumer appliances and expandable pro systems and didn't try and turn everything into an appliance.

By the way, the near-impossible-to-work-on Macs dated well before 2012, as you'd know well if you ever tried to fix or upgrade G3 iBooks, G4 PowerBooks and even the G4 Mac mini.
Never had hands on an iBook, never had cause to open my old G4 Mini, but I've certainly been inside the G4 Powerbook - the Ti version had an old-school clip-in battery module, the keyboard just unclipped for RAM upgrades (and keyboard replacement!), and the back unscrewed for easy access to the hard drive - I dare say that it was rocket surgery to replace anything else, but I wouldn't expect any more from what was, at the time, an ultra-thin laptop. The G4 Aluminium was slightly worse - but it still had a removable battery, a hatch for the RAM, and although the HD was a bit more tricky, it was still a screwdriver job.

Also, the iBook and the G4 Mac mini were definitely part of the "consumer appliance" product range (the PPC Mini was always pitched as a cheap, entry-level Mac, it started to get more serious after the Intel switch).

I stand by my claim that it was the early 10's when the "sealed appliance" design philosophy started to leak into the more "pro" end of the Mac range - certainly when it comes down to guitar picks, hot-air guns and pizza cutters. Also, that was when iMacs really started to be pitched as a "pro" desktop option, rather than just "consumer" systems.

The other example is the Mac Pro. 2006 - 2012: all-purpose tower system in tool-free case, largely standard PC parts, PCIE cards, SATA storage. 2013-2017 - the Trashcan: "appliance" with nonstandard GPU and SSD cards, technically all-purpose but highly slanted towards Final Cut Pro and other software optimised for the dual GPU, case still came off easily but all you could do was replace the RAM. 2017 - I'm pretty sure that the sealed appliance, glued-together iMac Pro was intended to be the new Mac Pro - the famous U-turn press conference was right around the time they'd have been showing the iMac Pro prototypes to key partners.

I think Apple Silicon really marks Apple's acceptance that the "appliance" concept is the future, and they probably aren't wrong. AS is perfect for iPads and MacBook Airs, the pro/max versions are excellent for many "content creation" tasks, and really extend what can be done with a laptop or small form factor system - especially if you are using software and file formats that make use of AS's media/neural/ray-tracing engines. Everything else is "good enough" for a huge tranche of the market. However, at the high-end, some people with different needs - huge quantities of RAM, lots of PCIe cards, massive banks of GPUs - are being frozen out. However, the alternative would be for Apple to continue making more traditional systems which would only ever perform as well as the third-party platform-agnostic software running on Intel and AMD's latest silicon plugged into a commodity motherboard. That's not going to have a long-term future in a world where you can rent the CPU/GPU power you need, on-demand, from the cloud. Apple Silicon may not be the best tool for training machine learning systems, but it is great as a delivery platform, and that includes "delivering" cloud-based development systems to developers. Meanwhile, there are now huge numbers of youtubers etc. self-producing video, music and animation (sometimes to pretty high standards) who are potential customers for a video/3D production "appliance" for which many of the current AS Macs are highly suitable (even if they're not good enough for Pixar).

za9ra22

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
Never had hands on an iBook, never had cause to open my old G4 Mini, but I've certainly been inside the G4 Powerbook - the Ti version had an old-school clip-in battery module, the keyboard just unclipped for RAM upgrades (and keyboard replacement!), and the back unscrewed for easy access to the hard drive - I dare say that it was rocket surgery to replace anything else, but I wouldn't expect any more from what was, at the time, an ultra-thin laptop. The G4 Aluminium was slightly worse - but it still had a removable battery, a hatch for the RAM, and although the HD was a bit more tricky, it was still a screwdriver job.
I wasn't making reference to battery or RAM access for reasons below. This has really only become a big deal recently. I was referring to repairability.

There was a point up to which almost every Mac was serviceable, which meant that users or non-approved service people could get inside and fix them. This was true from the systems developed post-Jobs after he'd left and right up to the Lombard and Pismo G3 laptops. After that, things got a bit less straightforward. The Clamshell and G3 and G4 iBooks were a nuisance, but while fiddly, not exactly hard. The TiBook wasn't bad either, and the removable keyboard made life relatively easy for some things.

The AlBooks though were much more troublesome, and arguably with a dozen+ screws of varying lengths and thread pitch, deliberately so. That carried through into the first Intel MBP models too.

Even then, it is true that Apple were not concerned about constraining battery or RAM access. Given battery technology was relatively poor at that point, and they knew as well as we all did that RAM needs increased significantly over the expected life span of a system, since the market was in a very active state, that's neither surprising nor anything but purely a simple practical choice.

Where we're at now, and have been in recent years, is somewhat different. Despite the howling protests of the macrumors cognoscenti, Apple know, even if the cognoscenti doesn't, that the market has matured and arrived at a point of general stability. What you buy today is likely to be what you'll need for years. Batteries last longer, operating systems have achieved their levels of bloat and are now just suffering internal feature churn, and most users have no interest in the nonsense we tend to talk about here.

That gives Apple, and all the other manufacturers, the opportunity to consolidate and wrestle customers back and forth with stuff that isn't much at all about the technologies. Apple go back to appliance computing, many others jump on the 'miniPC' bandwagon, and neither macOS or Windows can really grow much more. On the Windows side, there's room for Microsoft to wiggle more because end of life threats keep pushing hardware boundaries too, but Apple have an advantage in that they control far more of the whole experience. Arguably, that's their primary benefit from appliance computing, and has helped encourage them fully back to it.

As the authors of the OS, Apple know where the hardware roadmap is going, and as the 'makers' of the hardware, they know where the software market is going. Short of actual faults, the hardware can be stitched up tight. It's the marketplace of users (by and large) who support this because most of us have arrived at the point where just about anything will serve our needs.

Anyway, thanks, that was appreciated!

ThomasJL

macrumors 68000
Oct 16, 2008
In the video on that webpage, at the 2:05 minute mark, Walter Isaacson said that in the biography he wrote, he "softened" Steve Jobs's "harsh" complaints about how Tim Cook is "not a product person."

I would love it if one day (the sooner, the better), Isaacson finally revealed in full detail the harsh complaints Jobs voiced about Cook not being a product person. People who defend Cook often use the argument that he was chosen by Jobs to be CEO. That argument falsely implies that Jobs thought Cook was a product person. Isaacson should not have softened Jobs's complaints about Cook in the biography.

Reactions: canadianreader
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.