Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kman79

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2007
My original camera was a D40x, I bought it thinking that not having the built in AF motor wouldn't bother me. Within a week, it went right back to the store and ordered a D80 body only from BH Photo.

Your somewhat limited with lens selection with the D40 since you can only use AF-S lenses, which somewhat limits you in choice of fast primes and other lenses.

If it was a choice between D40x and XTi, I'd go for the XTi only because your not limited in lens choices.

If your budget can get you a D80, I would go for that instead.

I really think, great pictures are taken more by the photographer and the lens and not so much the body. Just about any of the mid level DSLR will suffice, and provide great pictures. In my opinion, the quality of the lens will make a bigger difference. If/When you really get into this hobby, you'll be surprised that yoru actually contemplating to spend so much cash for a particular lens. Note that real good lenses from Canon or Nikon, are easily over a thousand, but good fast primes (50mm and 85mm) are more reasonable at less than 500.00.

mrmma

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2006
Missouri
My 2 cents

I'm no pro or even advanced amateur, but my method was to go into a (good camera) store and try all of the options. I figured as was mentioned above that the image quality would be more due to my lack of skills. I played with a D40, D80, Canon XTi, Olympus, and the Sony alpha, looking through the viewfinder, trying to set up shots, changing settings, working the autofocus, etc, I was happiest with the Sony in my hands. The D80 was very nice, however, though considerably more expensive (and with technically the same sensor).

I think for the amateur, the lens system is mildly important, but it would be my guess that most DSLR amateurs don't go much beyond buying the kit lens and perhaps an extra zoom, which are available in all lines. I had visions of getting a couple of nice primes (non-zoom lenses) but haven't really felt the need.

So, I guess what I'm saying is go to a store and see which one you're most comfortable operating and using, and you'll probably use it more.

Island Dog

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2005
St. Cloud, FL.
I just bought a D40 a few weeks ago, which of course, they have since dropped the price by $50. Anyways, it's a fantastic camera and I can do nothing but recommend it.

bonafide

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2007
Why even consider the XTi when the XSi is coming out in a manner of days with significant improvements?

gamerz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 2, 2006
Why even consider the XTi when the XSi is coming out in a manner of days with significant improvements?

Because the XSI is out of my budget. That doesn't mean I just wont buy it completely, I'll just have to know what my money is being put towards.

bonafide

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2007
Well the XSi is apparently going to hit the $1000 mark Canadian once it is released. Read up on it and you'll be impressed by the improvements.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Regarding XSi's high price. When XTi first came out, most retailers sold it at or near the retail price. Within few months, average street price should be reduced by $200 or so.

npederse

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2007
Have you tried out all of the cameras in person? I think that makes a big difference -- if you're not happy with the ergonomics, then you'll never be happy with the body. I'd try out the Canon, Nikon, Pentax etc in person and see if one feels better than the other. All make good cameras.

Do you know what type of photos you like or would like to shoot? As mentioned, some brands have a specialty in certain lenses, so that may affect your decision. As far as lenses, there are a lot of good and bad lenses in each line. I know that used Canon EF lenses and Nikon lenses can be found easy, which you may want to look at (I've bought all of my current setup used and have been pleased with it). The biggest downside is that the d40 can not focus on much of the older Nikon lenses, though they can still be used manually.

Good luck

gamerz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 2, 2006
Have you tried out all of the cameras in person? I think that makes a big difference -- if you're not happy with the ergonomics, then you'll never be happy with the body. I'd try out the Canon, Nikon, Pentax etc in person and see if one feels better than the other. All make good cameras.

Do you know what type of photos you like or would like to shoot? As mentioned, some brands have a specialty in certain lenses, so that may affect your decision. As far as lenses, there are a lot of good and bad lenses in each line. I know that used Canon EF lenses and Nikon lenses can be found easy, which you may want to look at (I've bought all of my current setup used and have been pleased with it). The biggest downside is that the d40 can not focus on much of the older Nikon lenses, though they can still be used manually.

Good luck

I have briefly held the Nikon D40, and the XTi... Not enough time to feel which one I liked more.

As for what kinds of photo's I like to shoot, I really like macro, mostly because it comes easily for me. I also would like to move more into landscapes and sports, but there aren't really any good opportunities here.

gamerz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 2, 2006
I went to the store today and held the D40 and XTi. The D40 was very comfortable and light, and the XTi was comfortable... They didn't have a D80 in stock sadly.

My parents also told me that they found some lenses for a nikon mount I believe... those will be coming later this evening.

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
My parents also told me that they found some lenses for a nikon mount I believe... those will be coming later this evening.

Take note if the lenses are autofocus lenses, if they are and they have screw drive sockets in the lens mount, they won't AF with the D40, but they will with the D80. If they are AF-S they will be just fine on the D40.

SLC

gamerz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 2, 2006
Alright, I have the lenses now... And some old Nikon film SLR's... I'm not really sure if these lenses are worth anything now, or will even take some decent pictures.

The lenses are:

Zoom AF Nikkor 70-300 f/4-5.6G

AF Nikkor 28-80mm 3.5-5.6D

Vivitar 28-200mm Zoom Macro 3.5-5.3

I'm not really sure if these lenses are any good... If they are, should I consider getting a D80 body and using these lenses?

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
Are they autofocus?

If they are then I'd say definitely go with the D80, even if they aren't I'd take that route since the D80 is a much more capable camera. Better to buy something that you'll grow into rather than out of.

Even if those lenses aren't known to be fantastic, the Nikorrs won't be bad at all (none really are), and Vivitar has been known to make some very sharp zooms in the past. I'd keep them around even if it's just so you have a few lens options to begin with.

SLC

gamerz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 2, 2006
Two of them are... I was wondering what these lenses would be equivalent too. Would they take the same quality photo's as the kit lens that comes with the D80?

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
Yeah, I'd imagine that they are going to perform optically similar to the 18-55 kit lens (except they are different focal lengths of course). You ask what they are equivalent to, are you meaning with the digital crop factor? They will magnify like a 70-300 and a 28-80 would on a full framer. But they'll crop the image from the center and that gives the same FOV as a 105-450 and 42-120 respectively. I'd get the D80 for sure, since these are going to be screw drive lenses and the D40 D40X and D60 won't be able to AF with them, but the D80 will. You can Manual with the Vivitar if you like. That's a nice start in lenses (especially for free).

I can't believe I didn't notice the AF designations in your post and like an idiot I had to ask about it :rolleyes:

SLC

kman79

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2007
What is very soon?

From what I read and heard, the D90 has not yet been confirmed by Nikon. But it seems everyone in the Nikon camp(including me), thinks it should be coming out mid year, some say sometime before the Summer Olympics. If it's anything like how the D80 was, meaning it takes certain functions from it's one level up brethren, then it should be a great camera. The D80 takes a lot of its key features from the D200, so if the same can be said about the D90(taking key features from the D300), then it should be a great camera for the price, that's if it stays around the price of the D80 that it replaces.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
the Nikorrs won't be bad at all (none really are)

Depends highly on how critical your standards are and what you're shooting under what conditions. For instance, I'd only shoot with a 24mm f/2.8 AF-D if all my other lenses died, there wasn't an open store with a consumer zoom of some type, there was a compelling subject that couldn't be shot tomorrow and I'd had three beers.

YMMV.

rouxeny

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2008
I would recommend Canon for this simple reason, more people use Canon cameras than Nikons. That's not a slight against Nikon cameras or Nikon users, it's just my observation from looking at what people have around their necks when I go shooting.

I think it's important because it's much easier for somebody else to help you with your camera, for you to learn from their camera, and it gives you an opportunity to evaluate what your future camera purchases may be. Plus, you can fiddle with their lenses (if you ask nicely) and potentially trade or borrow equipment from your new found photo friends. How many times have you seen somebody use a certain lens and then had that influence you into buying the same one? You are definitely buying into a camera system, you are also buying into a consumer group. For me, it made sense to have access to a larger group. If the sun is setting in the Grand Canyon and your battery is running out, a Canon user is more likely to be able to bum a spare from the next guy than a Pentax fan.

It might seem like a dumb argument, but if you think about it, most of the Canon vs Nikon arguments are. Amazing pictures are taken with both lines, it really has much more to do with what's behind the sensor instead of what's in front of it. As to how each camera "handles" it's hard to know that from fooling around with one for 5 minutes in a store. Kind of like the average car test drive. Whichever you pick, you end up figuring out. One may be described as "cheaper" or with worse workmanship, but I really doubt the failure rate between the two is all that different, or that high.

I do agree that you should not plan on keeping a body for only a year, nor should you think that you'll have it forever. You'll end up buying a new one in a few years. If anything, invest in a good lens. Lenses easily outlast bodies in terms of servicable life.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
I would recommend Canon for this simple reason, more people use Canon cameras than Nikons. That's not a slight against Nikon cameras or Nikon users, it's just my observation from looking at what people have around their necks when I go shooting.

I'll counterpoint with:

A) By all accounts, Nikon is currently outselling Canon in entry-level bodies in most markets.
B) More people have PCs than Macs.
C) More people eat at McDonalds than Ruth's Chris.

I think it's important because it's much easier for somebody else to help you with your camera, for you to learn from their camera, and it gives you an opportunity to evaluate what your future camera purchases may be. Plus,

You're purchasing a new camera, by the time you're ready for a future camera pretty-much all the alternatives will be obsolete.

you can fiddle with their lenses (if you ask nicely) and potentially trade or borrow equipment from your new found photo friends. How many times

Again, Nikon is outselling Canon at the low end. Most folks aren't all that comfortable borrowing $1200 lenses.

have you seen somebody use a certain lens and then had that influence you into buying the same one? You are definitely buying into a camera system, you are also buying into a consumer group. For me, it made sense to have access to a larger group. If the sun is setting in the Grand Canyon and your battery is running out, a Canon user is more likely to be able to bum a spare from the next guy than a Pentax fan.

Whereas a Fuji user will have picked up a handful of AAs at the gift shop. If you're going to make that argument, Fuji wins. Let me ask you though, why do you have a Mac if you're happier in a larger consumer group? It seems like an odd choice if that's one of your main criteria.

It might seem like a dumb argument, but if you think about it, most of the Canon vs Nikon arguments are. Amazing pictures are taken with both lines, it really has much more to do with what's behind the sensor instead of what's in front of it. As to how each camera "handles" it's hard to know that from fooling around with one for 5 minutes in a store. Kind of like the average car test drive. Whichever you pick, you end up figuring out. One may be described as "cheaper" or with worse workmanship, but I really doubt the failure rate between the two is all that different, or that high.

I do agree that you should not plan on keeping a body for only a year, nor should you think that you'll have it forever. You'll end up buying a new one in a few years. If anything, invest in a good lens. Lenses easily outlast bodies in terms of servicable life.

There are some good reasons for purchasing Canon over Nikon- in my opinion, this isn't one of them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.