Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hamsterhjulet

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 1, 2015
Denmark
I've been using my iPhone 13 Pro Max for a couple of weeks and I love it. I hadn't seen the phone in real life before ordering, so for fun I went by an Apple Store to see the new Sierra Blue in real life (bought the Silver). I immediately noticed that the store model was much brighter than my phone. I compared them side by side and the difference was very noticeable. Checked settings on both phones and they were setup identically.

That made me wonder. Since the phones in stores runs a "demo" version of iOS, do Apple somehow "unlock" the brightness to go up to the 1000 nits at all times to make the screen look brighter then it really is in day to day use? Hopefully any of you have been working in an Apple Store or anything like it and have some insider knowledge.

mouzouris

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2020
I've been using my iPhone 13 Pro Max for a couple of weeks and I love it. I hadn't seen the phone in real life before ordering, so for fun I went by an Apple Store to see the new Sierra Blue in real life (bought the Silver). I immediately noticed that the store model was much brighter than my phone. I compared them side by side and the difference was very noticeable. Checked settings on both phones and they were setup identically.

That made me wonder. Since the phones in stores runs a "demo" version of iOS, do Apple somehow "unlock" the brightness to go up to the 1000 nits at all times to make the screen look brighter then it really is in day to day use? Hopefully any of you have been working in an Apple Store or anything like it and have some insider knowledge.
If you disable auto brightness and set the phone at MAX brightness is a lot brighter than the MAX brightness with auto brightness ON.

jcp007

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2020
Third Rock From the Sun
The differences may be settings related. You might want to check out if auto brightness is set or night shift mode or even true tone. I have auto turned off and true tone on. I adjust the brightness manually because I like the control and being old school being used to using battery saving changes though today's devices don't necessarily need it.

Reactions: jagolden

Hamsterhjulet

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 1, 2015
Denmark
If you disable auto brightness and set the phone at MAX brightness is a lot brighter than the MAX brightness with auto brightness ON.
Checked the store phone and AB was on. Turned off on both phones and the store model somehow still managed to stay brighter.

The phone should be able to reach higher brightness with AB on though. If you turn it off it caps out before reaching 1000 nits. It's been like that in quite a while on iPhone.

Hamsterhjulet

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 1, 2015
Denmark
The differences may be settings related. You might want to check out if auto brightness is set or night shift mode or even true tone. I have auto turned off and true tone on. I adjust the brightness manually because I like the control and being old school being used to using battery saving changes though today's devices don't necessarily need it.
Made sure that all settings was the same on both phones. Even with AB off the screen on the store model was a bit brighter.

mouzouris

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2020
Made sure that all settings was the same on both phones. Even with AB off the screen on the store model was a bit brighter.
If the difference is marginal its totally normal! Me and my wife both bought 2 iphone 11 pro max before 2 years from the same store, the same day. Hers was a tad brighter than mine!

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Some people have complained of color shifting on the edges of their new phone while others don’t experience it. It’s likely that not all panels are the same.
And who knows? Maybe the demo OS is set to be brighter than the public version of iOS.

Hamsterhjulet

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 1, 2015
Denmark
If the difference is marginal its totally normal! Me and my wife both bought 2 iphone 11 pro max before 2 years from the same store, the same day. Hers was a tad brighter than mine!
You're probably right. One should think that all phones would have been tested and calibrated before leaving the assembly line though.

Hamsterhjulet

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 1, 2015
Denmark
Some people have complained of color shifting on the edges of their new phone while others don’t experience it. It’s likely that not all panels are the same.
And who knows? Maybe the demo OS is set to be brighter than the public version of iOS.
I understand that people will complain. When you're paying a premium price you should receive a premium product in return.

It would make totally sense for Apple to make the demo models reach higher brightness. Higher brightness = more beautiful screen = more sales.

Reactions: anshuvorty

jcp007

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2020
Third Rock From the Sun
Also, consider that you are talking about a mass-produced device in the millions and that quality control will vary. If you are truly concerned, exchange your 13 Pro Max for another one.

Hamsterhjulet

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 1, 2015
Denmark
Also, consider that you are talking about a mass-produced device in the millions and that quality control will vary. If you are truly concerned, exchange your 13 Pro Max for another one.
Of course, but mass production doesn't mean that there shouldn't be some kind of QC that should notice things like this. You're paying a premium price for a premium product. Screen quality shouldn't be lottery.

jcp007

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2020
Third Rock From the Sun
Of course, but mass production doesn't mean that there shouldn't be some kind of QC that should notice things like this. You're paying a premium price for a premium product. Screen quality shouldn't be lottery.
Agreed. Volumes in the millions and human beings involved in QC make it a reality. Go in the store and try a new one out. If it meets your expectations, then exchange it.

Reactions: Hamsterhjulet

IconIc215

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2013
This is nothing new to Apple though. I will say it seems particularly worse this year than others. I had to return a phone and repurchase within the 14 day period and noticed the screen on that one was dull, dim and zero vibrancy to the colors. Possibly a lemon but was much dimmer than my 12 Pro Max. The phone I repurchased has a screen like I would expect..colors that pop and a lot brighter than my 12 Pro Max. So there are variances, you just have to find one your happy with. Are you out of your return window?

Hamsterhjulet

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 1, 2015
Denmark
This is nothing new to Apple though. I will say it seems particularly worse this year than others. I had to return a phone and repurchase within the 14 day period and noticed the screen on that one was dull, dim and zero vibrancy to the colors. Possibly a lemon but was much dimmer than my 12 Pro Max. The phone I repurchased has a screen like I would expect..colors that pop and a lot brighter than my 12 Pro Max. So there are variances, you just have to find one your happy with. Are you out of your return window?
No, not yet. But I wouldn't want to go through the return process (and definitely not the waiting time since it's backordered everywhere) if the screen is perfectly fine and it's a software feature in the "demo" variant of iOS.

IconIc215

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2013
No, not yet. But I wouldn't want to go through the return process (and definitely not the waiting time since it's backordered everywhere) if the screen is perfectly fine and it's a software feature in the "demo" variant of iOS.
It could be but there are definitely inferior screens out there between production units.

julesme

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2016
San Jose
Checked the store phone and AB was on. Turned off on both phones and the store model somehow still managed to stay brighter.

The phone should be able to reach higher brightness with AB on though. If you turn it off it caps out before reaching 1000 nits. It's been like that in quite a while on iPhone.

I think you have it backwards - turning OFF auto brightness is the only method to manually set the phone to max brightness. Otherwise you will never see auto brightness reach the maximum unless you are outside under direct, bright sunlight. A number of other macrumors users have corroborated this (see past forum posts on screen brightness).

TLDR: Turn off auto brightness, manually raise the brightness control to the max, and it should match the in-store demo models.

Reactions: anshuvorty

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
I know Apple calibrates the screen when you have a replacement done. One of the main reasons I would never let a 3rd party replace a screen.. I'm sure there's a acceptable range that the display needs to pass during manufacturing so some screens will be at the bottom of the spec and others could be at the top. Maybe that's what you're experiencing.

coso

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2012
My 13 Pro unit is slightly brighter than many demo units I tried, when I turned of AB and night shift. If the difference is slight it's normal, Apple uses many different manufacturers and they're all slightly different, not only in brightness but also color tone. Then there's wafer variability, based on the position they cut the screen on the big OLED wafer.

If the difference was stark you probably have a "bad" unit. Not defective, just the farthest from the "normal" one. Your choice if you want to play the lottery again... (on everything else too, dust on the lens, scratches and dings, faulty battery etc.)

Hamsterhjulet

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 1, 2015
Denmark
I think you have it backwards - turning OFF auto brightness is the only method to manually set the phone to max brightness. Otherwise you will never see auto brightness reach the maximum unless you are outside under direct, bright sunlight. A number of other macrumors users have corroborated this (see past forum posts on screen brightness).

TLDR: Turn off auto brightness, manually raise the brightness control to the max, and it should match the in-store demo models.
I’m pretty sure you’ve got it backwards. The screen will never reach the 1000 nits if you’re not having AB on. If you turn it off the screen only goes to a certain level and stops. AB will make it go past the slider. It’s demonstrated here:

You see the iPhone 13 Pro Max only reaching 1300ish lux with AB off and brightness all the way up. With AB on and artificial light it reaches 1800ish lux.

Hamsterhjulet

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 1, 2015
Denmark
My 13 Pro unit is slightly brighter than many demo units I tried, when I turned of AB and night shift. If the difference is slight it's normal, Apple uses many different manufacturers and they're all slightly different, not only in brightness but also color tone. Then there's wafer variability, based on the position they cut the screen on the big OLED wafer.

If the difference was stark you probably have a "bad" unit. Not defective, just the farthest from the "normal" one. Your choice if you want to play the lottery again... (on everything else too, dust on the lens, scratches and dings, faulty battery etc.)
Exactly. I guess I’ll have to live with it (no problem as everything else is perfect). But would have made me sleep better if someone was able to confirm that store models run special software to make them look prettier than normal.

Karl90

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2017
You’re really bummed about this aren’t you? I mean to the point you’re not sleeping properly, remember Apple stores are also artificially lit and that too will give off a clarity on top of the screen brightness.
If your max is the same as mine… then it will probably be more than bright enough for your Facebook and Instagram scrolling

Reactions: ProMaximus

Hamsterhjulet

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 1, 2015
Denmark
You’re really bummed about this aren’t you? I mean to the point you’re not sleeping properly, remember Apple stores are also artificially lit and that too will give off a clarity on top of the screen brightness.
If your max is the same as mine… then it will probably be more than bright enough for your Facebook and Instagram scrolling
There’s no need for you to be rude about it. The whole point of this was to clarify if Apple use some kind of trick on the store models. Yes, I’m a bit bummed if a device which cost me +$1000 isn’t living up to the promised specifications. That’s just my point of view, and if you don’t agree that’s fair.

Karl90

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2017
There’s no need for you to be rude about it. The whole point of this was to clarify if Apple use some kind of trick on the store models. Yes, I’m a bit bummed if a device which cost me +$1000 isn’t living up to the promised specifications. That’s just my point of view, and if you don’t agree that’s fair.
Apple are not promising your phone will be as “bright” as a store display phone. They are advertising it as “Up to1,200 nits peak brightness for your HDR photos and videos”
I would suggest getting some kind of light measuring device and seeing whether your phone is living up to apples claims. If not then take it back and complain.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.