Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2018
USA
Good question, but I am not using an adblocker (and no extensions in Safari).
Yes, that's my point, I don't see any of the issues that others are seeing with malicious advertisements because I run an adblocker. And, the reason I run an adblocker is because the advertisement system is broken and dangerous to website visitors. I'm wondering if this index download popup is due to a malformed advertisement.

Reactions: IowaLynn

morggan1

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2020
This is very annoying. It happens when I read some newspapers. I'd like to attach the file here but can't see the way to do that with the attach butto (only accepts pdf or jpg)
[automerge]1581408126[/automerge]
Seems widespread. Doesn't necessarily seem like malware though.

Can you email me the index.html file? arn@normalkid.com
I'm sending you the file by email
[automerge]1581408409[/automerge]
Just FIY I am using a MacBook Air with Safari 12.1.2

Last edited:

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
This is very annoying. It happens when I read some newspapers. I'd like to attach the file here but can't see the way to do that with the attach butto (only accepts pdf or jpg)
[automerge]1581408126[/automerge]

I'm sending you the file by email

Thanks!

Yep, it looks like ad code in it. So some config issue apparently. Is it still happening on this site? If so, sending me that particular index file will help track it down when I send it to our ad network.

arn

morggan1

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2020
Thanks!

Yep, it looks like ad code in it. So some config issue apparently. Is it still happening on this site? If so, sending me that particular index file will help track it down when I send it to our ad network.

arn
Just emailed the file to you, thanks.

Jeff Gee

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2020
i noticed it’s a dark color near the address bar meaning you’re in incognito mode? I recently switched mine to private browsing and i’m getting the same pop ups. could be related?

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Just a reminder. If anyone gets an index.html download on MacRumors.com -- let me know and send it to me. I can followup with our ad network in that case.

Ruggy

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2017
Could it by any chance be connected to using 'reading list'?
If you've bookmarked a site for the reading list, it will try to download the page for offline reading.

acont

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2020
Hello, I am experiencing a similar thing. Every time I open a certain website (https://vietnamnet.vn/en/ or https://e.vnexpress.net) a html file is being downloaded automatically. It's called 300x250.html. I have since then changed Safari settings to ask for location when a download is starting to precent the automatice saving. Attached are screen shots of the download request and the file (I cannot attach a html file with my post).

I have used Avast and Malwarebytes without any success of finding anything unusual. I'm running Mojave 10.14.6 on an iMac.

Thanks for any help wether this is a malicious file and how to get rid of this.
Steve

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-04-21 at 10.50.24 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-21 at 10.50.24 AM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 136
  • Screen Shot 2020-04-21 at 10.52.25 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-21 at 10.52.25 AM.png
    418.2 KB · Views: 164
  • 2.png
    2.png
    388 KB · Views: 152

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Hello, I am experiencing a similar thing. Every time I open a certain website (https://vietnamnet.vn/en/ or https://e.vnexpress.net) a html file is being downloaded automatically. It's called 300x250.html. I have since then changed Safari settings to ask for location when a download is starting to precent the automatice saving. Attached are screen shots of the download request and the file (I cannot attach a html file with my post).

I have used Avast and Malwarebytes without any success of finding anything unusual. I'm running Mojave 10.14.6 on an iMac.

Steve

it seems just a misconfigured ad.

Reactions: barbu

stephenWa

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2020
Hamilton, Ontario
Hi arn,

I am also experiencing the same issue on my iphone Safari (ios 13.4.1). Two html files were downloaded. When I opened them in browser, they are blank. I opened them in notepad++ and saw some html codes. Sorry, I don't understand any html. Would you please let me know if they look suspicious... I've sent them to your email address above.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Stephen

Last edited:

FlyingDutch

macrumors 65816
Aug 21, 2019
Eindhoven (NL)

Steve
same issue here, with a file called 970x250.html ...

It seems to be an ad.
I don't understand why Safari is actually DOWNLOADING the file.

ijm8710

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2019
iPhone: 40.379009,-74.172867
yeah... seems to be a misconfigured ad.

arn, I’m getting this all the time, not necessarily on this site but in general surfing safari (and have reproduced in other browsers)

Is it a site issue (site needs to fix ad issue)

or is it an Apple issue (I’ve only seen this issue for ~1.5 months but it’s gotten progressively worse as I’ve jumped on more recent betas)

I see it most commonly on amp and news sites (live science businessinsider and Washington post were the most recent 3)

basicallY wondering since it seems you’ve done a cursory analysis on it iF I should keep reporting beta feedback Or if we should be emailing each site individually to ask to fix and what best to ask of them

thanks, hope you have a little to share

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
I’m not entirely sure but I think it’s reasonable to continue to send bug reports from safari.

My guess is it doesn’t happen on chrome which is more common a browser for the ad networks to test on, which is prob why its happening as much as it is.

ijm8710

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2019
iPhone: 40.379009,-74.172867
I’m not entirely sure but I think it’s reasonable to continue to send bug reports from safari.

My guess is it doesn’t happen on chrome which is more common a browser for the ad networks to test on, which is prob why its happening as much as it is.

It’s gotten to the point where I’m seeing it 20x a day, but I only really surf on mobile
One user said this may relate to sandbox flag allow-downloads-without-user-activation

I just don’t know the chances aplle even sees for the feedback assiatant unless more people report.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.