Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cooperehlers

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2017
This happened to me before...

This MIGHT work and it worked for me with a broken power button.

Hold down the 'home' button and simultaneously hold the phone firmly on it's top end with the 'power' button depressed against a hard surface for about 10 seconds.

You might feel like you're about to smash your phone, but you must push it firmly against a hard surface (desk/table/cabinet) and it should work.

worked for my iphone 4 :)

Reactions: Costino1

GodRav

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2018
If you can afford an iphone, you can afford to fix it. Next time, don't screw up the sleep button.

John, you could have simply kept that response to yourself. I'm sorry, but there are better ways one can try to fix the issue and not necessarily buy a new iPhone.

There's a 3rd party app (RecBoot) that you can force the iPhone into recovery mode, and kick it back to boot up normally. This allows for the iOS device to refresh and start up normally.

pleiadeees

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2018
thanking you lots!!! 2018 in!

Hold down the 'home' button and simultaneously hold the phone firmly on it's top end with the 'power' button depressed against a hard surface for about 10 seconds.

You might feel like you're about to smash your phone, but you must push it firmly against a hard surface (desk/table/cabinet) and it should work.

TheAshHeron

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2018

It's almost 2019 and yet this still works! THANK YOU SO MUCH! Felt good to know too that iPhone 5/5s models do have problems with their power buttons. It means that I am not alone.

P.S. At first I tried to do that with the little table beside my bed and it did not work. Finally I went up to my bookshelf and did it. Then it worked. I think the difference is that the table beside my bed is lower, so there was less pressure placed on the phone. The pressure from the level of the bookshelf (head level) on my iPhone was greater, so my grip on the phone could have been firmer, which made it work. Thanks again!

ThankyouCostino1

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2021

Be blessed!
Can you believe that in 2021 there are IPhone 5 Users?
I literally asked God a miracle for my iPhone 5 that went black and I couldn't restart because power button was broken.
And I found your method... and it worked!
Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!
You are great, dude!

Costino1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2012
Be blessed!
Can you believe that in 2021 there are IPhone 5 Users?
I literally asked God a miracle for my iPhone 5 that went black and I couldn't restart because power button was broken.
And I found your method... and it worked!
Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!
You are great, dude!

haha glad I can help! Love your screen name lol :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.