Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

between2tides

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 8, 2013
I'm wondering what the best choice is in configuring the audio out of a base Studio Ultra M2. Should I be using the headphone jack or a USN to 3.5 converter? Do I need to buy an audio interface other than my mixer? I've been reading all I can find which is not so much. Curious what answers may come. Thanks.

between2tides

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 8, 2013
To what devices will you be trying to connect...?
Headed to a mixer then to headphones and speakers/monitors. On the input side I've got the mixer as well as a Rode AI-1 input device that has a nice pre-amp that I might like to access. The mixer has dedicated software that I'm not positive I want to use. It's a Mackie FX6v3. I will occasionally use it for recording voice overs. Will likely use either Audition or Resolve for recording.

between2tides

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 8, 2013
This is not a post about "audio out" but the opposite.... "audio in". Last night we needed to record some voice overs for an animatic we're working on. We had lots of issues and it's gotten me to rethink how I'm approaching the entire audio question when using a studio.

Some details.... the mic we used is a Rode NT1 that is plugged into the Al-1 audio interface. The interface is connected by USBC which we plugged into a simple USB3 dock, which in turn is plugged into the USB port on the studio. With this arrangement in audition, after being sure all the system and audition settings were correctly made, we could not see a signal in the software. A yellow symbol of a mic in the control bar was blinking.

We disconnected our wired keyboard put that into the dock and connected the Al-1 directly the the studio and everything worked great.

Which leads me to think that the audio, both in and out, might possibly be a weak link on the studio. As you can see I'm not certain of this. One thing I am certain of is I don't know, just that I've had lots of different issues with audio that seem to be centered around the USB connection.

I'd love the hear any thoughts from an audio person that would educate me a bit. Thanks.

Reactions: Wheel_D

between2tides

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 8, 2013
So with the limited number of connections possible what are you all doing to get around this? I use 7-8 connections before adding drive enclosures and monitors.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.