Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cham2000

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 11, 2022
I'm interested in getting the new Studio 27' Display. My work environment is pretty luminous and I hate reflections on the screen. I haven't seen this display in store yet, so I don't know if I should buy the version with the nano-texture glass or without it (especially considering there's a 400$CAD difference!). I would never have the sun directly on the screen, but the walls are white and reflections on the screen are a concern to me.

So to what point is the screen reflective, without the nano-texture glass option? Should I really care about it?

And is it true that the nano-texture glass would be easy to scratch? Is this glass texture more vulnerable to scratches and dirt, compared to the normal glass?

mmkerc

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2014
I suggest you go to your local computer store and look at one of the Mac's with the nano screens to see. I know 2 people with the 27"iMac and the nano screens the glare is not noticeable on either however the rooms they are in do not have direct sunlight. Neither have had an issue with scratching however they also do not move the computers or touch the screen so unsure of this issue.

Reactions: KaliYoni

fwmireault

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2019
Montréal, Canada
If you are concerned about glare, probably that the nano texture option is the best. Keep in mind that the nano texture will make the screen a tad more blurry, which is noticeable if you work heavily with text, not that much if you work primarily with pictures or videos. The nano texture is indeed a bit more fragile, but Apple includes with that option a polishing cloth designed specially for nano texture displays, so as long as you clean it with this cloth, you should be fine.

As suggested, the Best option is to go to an Apple Store and compare the iMac or Pro Display XDR standard glass and nano textured glass. I prefer personally standard glass as screen clarity is more important to me than reducing glare, but if the latter is important for you, you should probably go with the nano texure option

Cham2000

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 11, 2022
Keep in mind that the nano texture will make the screen a tad more blurry, which is noticeable if you work heavily with text, not that much if you work primarily with pictures or videos. The nano texture is indeed a bit more fragile,...

Yes, I do work with text primarily, and it need to be clear and easy to read. I also watch a lot of movies/series, and manipulate pictures. So you say that the nano-texture make text more blurry in a noticeable way? Geez!

And the nano-texture is easy to scratch or get dirt more easily? What if I use a normal cloth instead of Apple "special" cloth?

Unfortunately, AFAIK, the Apple Store in Montreal doesn't show any screen with the nano-texture on it. So it's hard to decide...

fwmireault

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2019
Montréal, Canada
Yes, I do work with text primarily, and it need to be clear and easy to read. I also watch a lot of movies/series, and manipulate pictures. So you say that the nano-texture make text more blurry in a noticeable way? Geez!

And the nano-texture is easy to scratch or get dirt more easily? What if I use a normal cloth instead of Apple "special" cloth?

Unfortunately, AFAIK, the Apple Store in Montreal doesn't show any screen with the nano-texture on it. So it's hard to decide...
To be clear, you notice that the text is slightly more blurry when the display is side by side with a standard display. I don’t think that you’d notice it that much if you’re using the display on its own on a regular basis. It’s not very noticeable, and the Retina display still makes the content very sharp. But I saw the difference when compared side by side with a standard display

Apple don’t recommend to use anything other than its polishing cloth, as some clothes may be a bit too abrasive and that could damage the nano textured coating. But as I said, Apple will gives you this cloth if you take the nano texture option

If your local Apple Store doesn’t have nano textured displays for comparison, order the nano textured display and try it at home. You can return it for a standard display if you don’t like the coating

Reactions: Cham2000

Cham2000

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 11, 2022
I'm a bit afraid that the nano-texture glass is a fragile surface, easy to scratch and easy to get dirt (that could be difficult to remove after a while). I need the display to stay fine for a very long period of time (10 years at least!). I don't trust much a surface that need a special 20$ cloth (that could be lost or worst...) to clean a special surface.

This discussion is starting to make me feel uncomfortable with the nano-texture. Maybe the glare on the standard glass is a better compromise.

This annoys me a lot because I'm used to work on an old Apple 20' screen (the one from 16 years ago), that don't have any glare at all, and yet the screen is perfectly clear, sharp and crisp (but it's not a Retina screen!).

KaliYoni

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2016
So to what point is the screen reflective, without the nano-texture glass option? Should I really care about it?
In addition to the above posts, this article has some pix you can use to help you make a decision:

Cham2000

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 11, 2022
I saw the standard glass yesterday at the Apple store. No display with the nano-texture was there for a comparison. The reflections and glare on the standard glass are clearly visible, but less obtrusive than what I was afraid. I think I'll take it as it is, especially if the nano-texture glass is easy to scratch or to retain dirt, and difficult to clean.

macpro2000

macrumors 65816
Feb 23, 2005
Yeah, I ordered 3 of the nano-texture but thinking I'm going to need to three of the standard instead. Then hopefully Apple updates the XDR at WWDC and I'll sell a, ASD and replace the middle one with that. If they don't, I'll just buy an XDR for the middle. I would think a new XDR would have speakers and a camera which would be nice.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
I will wait until I have a sunny day to post the difference nano makes. I can tell already that it makes a huge difference. I am thrilled with the nano display. If you have an issue with glare in your setup I HIGHLY suggest the nano option.

Yes it does make text a touch fuzzier. But literally a touch. Text is still crisp.

Cham2000

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 11, 2022
Do you confirm that the nanotexture glass is difficult to clean? And that it can grab dirt and dust easily?

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
Do you confirm that the nanotexture glass is difficult to clean? And that it can grab dirt and dust easily?
I've had the display for 24 hours so I can't really say just yet. I find it hard to believe that it will be hard to clean. It comes with the proper cloth for it. Over time I will see if it grabs dirt and dust easier than a glossy display. My gut says this will be a non-issue too.

vddobrev

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2016
Haskovo, Bulgaria
I will wait until I have a sunny day to post the difference nano makes. I can tell already that it makes a huge difference. I am thrilled with the nano display. If you have an issue with glare in your setup I HIGHLY suggest the nano option.

Yes it does make text a touch fuzzier. But literally a touch. Text is still crisp.
I am curious to see a picture comparison of that fuzziness of the text, like can you take a picture of the same text on the nano display, and your Mac book or anther display that you may have.
I currently have a 27" 4K Dell monitor and it is matte. My room has bright light all the time from 4 windows. Wondering if I should get standard or matte, and worried about the text sharpens. I am not sure if I am already looking at a fuzzier text on the matte Dell screen...

macpro2000

macrumors 65816
Feb 23, 2005
I’m hoping both are available to see at the Apple Store. Kind of a big decision as I’ll be getting three and then an XDR in 3 months which will have to match them.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
I am curious to see a picture comparison of that fuzziness of the text, like can you take a picture of the same text on the nano display, and your Mac book or anther display that you may have.
I currently have a 27" 4K Dell monitor and it is matte. My room has bright light all the time from 4 windows. Wondering if I should get standard or matte, and worried about the text sharpens. I am not sure if I am already looking at a fuzzier text on the matte Dell screen...
Well, the ASD will have a sharper display simply based on the fact that it is 5K compared to your 4K Dell. I'm willing to bet the nano will not make the 5K text more fuzzy compared to your current Dell.

I think this video is a good visual representation of the nano coating.

I just tried taking photos of my ASD and MBP and honestly it doesn't come out well in the photos. They essentially look identical.

I'm taking a very hard look at both of them side by side now. I think the best way I can describe it is that the nano text has an ever so slight bloom effect compared to the non-nano. I can notice the difference but it truly does not bother me one bit. I would not call it fuzzy by any means. I prefer reading text on my ASD compared to the MBP as the screen is clearly brighter.

macpro2000

macrumors 65816
Feb 23, 2005
Just got back from Apple Store…only had standard with tilt on display with nothing in stock. Guy said the 27” iMac with nano was all scratched up. Screw it… I’m not going to add a worry in my life…too many already. I’ll get 3 Standard with height/tilt. Done.

Reactions: 3Rock and 4sallypat

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I'm a bit afraid that the nano-texture glass is a fragile surface, easy to scratch and easy to get dirt (that could be difficult to remove after a while). I need the display to stay fine for a very long period of time (10 years at least!). I don't trust much a surface that need a special 20$ cloth (that could be lost or worst...) to clean a special surface.
The Verge review said that the Nano coating was a fingerprint magnet, and harder to clean them off than you'd think.

vddobrev

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2016
Haskovo, Bulgaria
@blairh Can you please do me a favour and take one more picture. Please focus on the text "5K compared to your 4K Dell" in your post #16 and take a similar photo to the attached showing my 4K. Please take the photo in Light mode not Dark. Thanks in advance!

Picture below is from my 4K Dell at "looks like 1920x1080"

IMG_5918.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_5918.jpeg
    IMG_5918.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 225

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
Just got back from Apple Store…only had standard with tilt on display with nothing in stock. Guy said the 27” iMac with nano was all scratched up. Screw it… I’m not going to add a worry in my life…too many already. I’ll get 3 Standard with height/tilt. Done.
I have no idea how a nano display would get 'all scratched up'. My guess is idiot customers being rough with it.

I seriously doubt scratches are going to be an issue with someone buying a nano display.
The Verge review said that the Nano coating was a fingerprint magnet, and harder to clean them off than you'd think.
This doesn't make sense to me too. I never touch my screen with my fingertips. My bezels currently have no fingertip prints. Also that Verge review is a joke.

The only concern about nano should be if the softer text bothers you or not. The other worries are BS IMO.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I have no idea how a nano display would get 'all scratched up'. My guess is idiot customers being rough with it.

I seriously doubt scratches are going to be an issue with someone buying a nano display.
I also doubt scratches are an issue in your home environment where you control how the display is handled.
This doesn't make sense to me too. I never touch my screen with my fingertips. My bezels currently have no fingertip prints. Also that Verge review is a joke.
Most people aren’t going to put on gloves before adjusting the tilt and/height of their screen, but if you never touch your screen then that piece of information isn’t relevant to you. The other Verge reviews are good so if they say it’s a fingerprint magnet, I believe them.

Reactions: vddobrev

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
@blairh Can you please do me a favour and take one more picture. Please focus on the text "5K compared to your 4K Dell" in your post #16 and take a similar photo to the attached showing my 4K. Please take the photo in Light mode not Dark. Thanks in advance!

Picture below is from my 4K Dell at "looks like 1920x1080"

View attachment 1979073

Attachments

• IMG-0646.jpg
    IMG-0646.jpg
    504.6 KB · Views: 637
  • IMG-0647.jpg
    IMG-0647.jpg
    472 KB · Views: 624
  • IMG-0648.jpg
    IMG-0648.jpg
    496.1 KB · Views: 613
Reactions: vddobrev

vddobrev

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2016
Haskovo, Bulgaria
@blairh Thank you very much! Those pictures are excellent!!! My hope is restored for the nano-texture glass. However, in my country we do not have an Apple store, and I have to special order from an authorized reseller the display and the mac studio, without seeing it. And there is no return possible. I hope you understand my worries. And in Europe it is 20-30% more expensive than the USA.

Reactions: blairh

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
As others have said, best to check out and compare. As for me, given the choice of either, I would opt for the glossy and if need be, put a makeshift hood on the monitor akin to what some higher-end graphics monitors offer. The catch with low or no glare screens is they not only seem not quite as sharp but under some lights gives somewhat of a diffused appearance or a veil of sorts. As for cleaning, both types of screens require a thoughtful approach so that should be less of a concern (in short, be gentle, use the correct clothes and liquids/spray). Btw, as I advocate for glossy or best image possible, others will be happier with the nano for their needs so again - compare the two if you can first.

vddobrev

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2016
Haskovo, Bulgaria
@blairh If I may ask you some additional question. I can see from the pictures you provided that the font sharpness is not that sacrificed, if at all. But how about the alleged:

1. "Sparkle/Glitter" effect that may be present when viewing white or light color. In all honesty, can you set your desktop to white background and tell me if you see any sparkling effect, like microscopic little shinings on the display?

2. "Dirty" effect that may be present on the whole screen and mostly when viewing white or light color? Compared to your glossy screen, does it seem that the nano-textured glass creates the so called "dirty" effect?

These things are what I am mostly afraid of, not so much by the font sharpness.

I have reflections to battle in my room. I hated my 5K glossy iMac and sold it for the reflective screen and got a Dell Ultra Sharp 4K with some sort of anti-glare coating. Text on the Dell is very sharp, anti glare is acceptable, but not great.

So I am not very certain what to do, and I can't see the nano-texture in person as said in a previous post. So I am relying on forum members to form my opinion and decision to buy the nano-glass or glossy.

My priority is text - that is what I look at all day (software developer). Based on @blairh photos it seems that I can accept the very slight text "blur", which really seems like some sort of minimal blooming or anti-aliasing effect.

Bit I am very uncertain about the overall image in terms of "sparkling" and "dirty" effect. Please help me make a decision.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.