Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
@blairh If I may ask you some additional question. I can see from the pictures you provided that the font sharpness is not that sacrificed, if at all. But how about the alleged:

1. "Sparkle/Glitter" effect that may be present when viewing white or light color. In all honesty, can you set your desktop to white background and tell me if you see any sparkling effect, like microscopic little shinings on the display?

2. "Dirty" effect that may be present on the whole screen and mostly when viewing white or light color? Compared to your glossy screen, does it seem that the nano-textured glass creates the so called "dirty" effect?

These things are what I am mostly afraid of, not so much by the font sharpness.

I have reflections to battle in my room. I hated my 5K glossy iMac and sold it for the reflective screen and got a Dell Ultra Sharp 4K with some sort of anti-glare coating. Text on the Dell is very sharp, anti glare is acceptable, but not great.

So I am not very certain what to do, and I can't see the nano-texture in person as said in a previous post. So I am relying on forum members to form my opinion and decision to buy the nano-glass or glossy.

My priority is text - that is what I look at all day (software developer). Based on @blairh photos it seems that I can accept the very slight text "blur", which really seems like some sort of minimal blooming or anti-aliasing effect.

Bit I am very uncertain about the overall image in terms of "sparkling" and "dirty" effect. Please help me make a decision.
I don't see any sparkling or dirty effect.

richinaus

macrumors 68020
Oct 26, 2014
I had a good look at them in store today, and it reminded me of the Cinema Display.
In addition, if I were to buy a studio display it would be the fixed stand nano, without a doubt.

the nano made no discernible difference in text, and maybe was slightly less vibrant on images.

I am still not convinced on buying one however, as the HP Z27G3 screens I use are nearly as good at a third of the price [in screen clarity not build and design quality]

vddobrev

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2016
Haskovo, Bulgaria
Here is a picture of my Dell 4K P2715Q turned off to simulate black background, so that the reflections I have in my room are visible. The monitor has a light anti-glare film (not glossy) that helps to keep text crisp and sharp.

As can be seen from the picture, it is not doing a very good job... Trying to make a guess how much better will the nano-textured glass be on the Studio Display...

IMG_5923.jpeg

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
I have the base standard glass ASD and have been using it in bright sunlight days from 2 sides and have to say, Apple did a fantastic job with reflectivity.

Compared to my 27" ATD next to it, the ASD has a much less reflectivity.

The 11 year old ATD has a real GLASS front and does reflect almost 100%; while the new ASD seems to have a plastic front and it reflects about 50% or less.

I use both displays for text (productivity software & web HTML) and love them for the crisp fonts, sharp text, and no eye fatigue I had on my previous 4K Samsung with matte front.

Reactions: vddobrev

vddobrev

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2016
Haskovo, Bulgaria
I have the base standard glass ASD and have been using it in bright sunlight days from 2 sides and have to say, Apple did a fantastic job with reflectivity.

Compared to my 27" ATD next to it, the ASD has a much less reflectivity.

The 11 year old ATD has a real GLASS front and does reflect almost 100%; while the new ASD seems to have a plastic front and it reflects about 50% or less.

I use both displays for text (productivity software & web HTML) and love them for the crisp fonts, sharp text, and no eye fatigue I had on my previous 4K Samsung with matte front.
Nice, thank you so much for sharing. Can you please post a picture with the ASD turned off (like mine above) during the day with bright sunlight? And another pic showing this thread in the same bright light conditions.

Edit: Also, can you compare the ASD anti-reflectivity with the 2015 MacBook that you have?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.