Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SpittingImage

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 1, 2014
Nothing I can put my finger but several times now something I've done a thousand times will no longer work as expected. Then after a restart it's working again. I don't remember what it was like before Sonoma (not sure how long I've been running Sonoma).

Anyone else having oddball issues?

maverick100

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2019
What type of internet connection do you use. Example where I live in the US the only option for years was Xfinity.
It was a total disaster. Since Google Fiber became available; It has been great; I never needed to restart my M2. I have 5gigs and it has been super. When I was on Xfinity I was restarting 2/3 times a day. On my network my main machine is always wired to ethernet. This has been my situation; and for you it might not be the network. My m2 has been great.

SpittingImage

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 1, 2014
Wired from the Cable Modem to a Qnap 10 Gbe unmanaged switch to the M2 and from the switch to a Synology NAS and a TP-Link Wireless Router.

Velin

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2008
Hearst Castle
One other thing. If you did an incremental upgrade to Sonoma, perhaps do a full wipe. Then download and do a clean install of current version MacOS 10.1, released October 25, 2023. Do not use an image/Time Machine back up. Just straight clean install everything, and import whatever you need from your iCloud backups, Dropbox, etc. Install fresh copies of all apps.

I have found when doing "incremental" updates of the major releases, you sometimes will have a few issues. Whereas with a clean wipe and fresh install on a major new release, zero problems, no lag or jitter, everything works as intended.

I do this across all devices: Mac, iPhone, iPad, Watch. Clean install with each new major version. I do this about once a year, and wait for the x.1 version to be released. All devices operate as if purchased new. Wasn't always that way using the OTA incremental updates. I find I can extend the device lifetimes by years when doing this.

SpittingImage

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 1, 2014
I was considering that as I’ve wiped previous Macs. I normally just reload all my applications from scratch but will restoring a Timemachine backup re-introduce any issues or is a total fresh install of each application better?

Velin

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2008
Hearst Castle
I was considering that as I’ve wiped previous Macs. I normally just reload all my applications from scratch but will restoring a Timemachine backup re-introduce any issues or is a total fresh install of each application better?

The latter for sure. Given you are having problems, I would not use Time Machine. Instead, I'd do the clean wipe and reinstall. Then a few apps, but no peripherals/devices. Then try to recreate the problem or issue you are having. If you cannot recreate it, you may -- may -- have found a partial solution, subject to you reloading all your apps and peripherals.

SpittingImage

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 1, 2014
The latter for sure. Given you are having problems, I would not use Time Machine. Instead, I'd do the clean wipe and reinstall. Then a few apps, but no peripherals/devices. Then try to recreate the problem or issue you are having. If you cannot recreate it, you may -- may -- have found a partial solution, subject to you reloading all your apps and peripherals.
Thanks for the advice. Next rainy day I'll do it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.