Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BlendedFrog

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 9, 2010
I've used the MX keyboard and mouse with the usb receiver for years and like most people have encountered the stuttering and lags due to an issue with the 2.4ghz receiver and being close to other connections. I fixed that by putting it on a extension cable so it was farther away from everything and it seemed to help. I had hoped that with the Mac Studio, this wouldn't be an issue any longer, but alas, it still is.

Anyone else still seeing the lags and stutters?

Reactions: Pezimak

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"I fixed that by putting it on a extension cable so it was farther away from everything and it seemed to help. I had hoped that with the Mac Studio, this wouldn't be an issue any longer, but alas, it still is."

Does adding the extension cable solve the problem with the Studio, as it solved it previously with the Mini...?

BlendedFrog

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 9, 2010
"I fixed that by putting it on a extension cable so it was farther away from everything and it seemed to help. I had hoped that with the Mac Studio, this wouldn't be an issue any longer, but alas, it still is."

Does adding the extension cable solve the problem with the Studio, as it solved it previously with the Mini...?
It is for the moment. I'll see as time goes on if the lag comes back.

RobertPS

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2010
I don't have this problem, the unifying receiver is connected directly to the Mac Studio.

A possible cause of your problem is network interference. To check, if your Mac Studio is connected with a WiFi network, make sure your WiFi network is set up for separate 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz WiFi networks.
Connect your Mac Studio to the 5Ghz network.

Last edited:

jasoncarle

Suspended
Jan 13, 2006
Minnesota
Yep, same here but I moved the unifying receiver farther away from the computer via a USB dock on an extension and it works fine.

edit: I am looking for replacement mouse and keyboard however, because as I understand it Logitech gets the battery life by reducing the polling rate to ridiculously low levels. I may go with a mechanical keyboard, but no idea what to do for a mouse.

BlendedFrog

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 9, 2010
I don't have this problem, the unifying receiver is connected directly to the Mac Studio.

A possible cause of your problem is network interference. To check, if your Mac Studio is connected with a WiFi network, make sure your WiFi network is set up for separate 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz WiFi networks.
Connect your Mac Studio to the 5Ghz network.
It's a known issue with the unified receiver and the fact that it uses 2.4 ghz for wireless and how close it is other connect components. By moving it away from the computer, such as using a dock or an extension cable, the issue is resolved.

BlendedFrog

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 9, 2010
Yep, same here but I moved the unifying receiver farther away from the computer via a USB dock on an extension and it works fine.

edit: I am looking for replacement mouse and keyboard however, because as I understand it Logitech gets the battery life by reducing the polling rate to ridiculously low levels. I may go with a mechanical keyboard, but no idea what to do for a mouse.
Same with me. I put it on a usb-c to usb-a extension and it works just fine. Nothing beats the MX3 for the Mac though.

ThrowerGB

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2014
Hallelujah, I've found others with the same problem.
I have a Studio M1 Max and Studio display with a Google mesh base station sitting on top of the Studio and connected via ethernet to the Studio and to the Google modem. I have an MX Vertical which I've attached with:
  • first using the Universal Receiver plugged into the back of the display,
  • then found that the mouse can connect via Bluetooh and tried that
  • Then attached using a Samsung Thunderbolt 3 cable to a slot at the front of the Mac Studio
  • now back to Bluetooth.
I've attached a photo to illustrate.

In all cases, since installing the Studio, I've had problems with the mouse.
  • Often it seems to double tap. In mail, if I right click to delete, often two emails will delete.
  • Sometimes a mouse click doesn't seem to register
  • In most apps, not all, dragging too highlight text is painful.
  • Rarely will it just highlight the dragged area.
  • Mostly it does random things like highlighting a single word
    • sometimes it does a copy and move a small segment of text
  • etc
I thought the mouse was bad. Purchased a 2nd one, but it's has the same effect.

I have an Apple extended keyboard connected via bluetooth. Very occasionally it will add an extra character, but I suspect that's caused by my fat fingers.

I glad to see here that the Logitech has known problem with 2.5 GHz and "reducing the polling rate to ridiculously low levels." This thread has suggests moving the mouse away from the Studio, and if using the receiver, increasing separation for that too. I'll also try increasing separation of the Google WiFi Mesh router.
However, I don't see why using Thunderbolt 3 cable doesn't improve things. Perhaps it's not well shielded, or perhaps everything is just too close together.

Attachments

• tempImageCRhIsE.png
    tempImageCRhIsE.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 110
Last edited:

ThrowerGB

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2014
Hallelujah, I've found others with the same problem.
I have a Studio M1 Max and Studio display with a Google mesh base station sitting on top of the Studio and connected via ethernet to the Studio and to the Google modem. I have an MX Vertical which I've attached with:
  • first using the Universal Receiver plugged into the back of the display,
  • then found that the mouse can connect via Bluetooh and tried that
  • Then attached using a Samsung Thunderbolt 3 cable to a slot at the front of the Mac Studio
  • now back to Bluetooth.
I've attached a photo to illustrate.

In all cases, since installing the Studio, I've had problems with the mouse.
  • Often it seems to double tap. In mail, if I right click to delete, often two emails will delete.
  • Sometimes a mouse click doesn't seem to register
  • In most apps, not all, dragging too highlight text is painful.
  • Rarely will it just highlight the dragged area.
  • Mostly it does random things like highlighting a single word
    • sometimes it does a copy and move a small segment of text
  • etc
I thought the mouse was bad. Purchased a 2nd one, but it's has the same effect.

I have an Apple extended keyboard connected via bluetooth. Very occasionally it will add an extra character, but I suspect that's caused by my fat fingers.

I glad to see here that the Logitech has known problem with 2.5 GHz and "reducing the polling rate to ridiculously low levels." This thread has suggests moving the mouse away from the Studio, and if using the receiver, increasing separation for that too. I'll also try increasing separation of the Google WiFi Mesh router.
However, I don't see why using Thunderbolt 3 cable doesn't improve things. Perhaps it's not well shielded, or perhaps everything is just too close together.
I've tried all the suggestions without success, except moving the Google mesh base station further away (I did move it a few feet away), or seeing if I can disable the 2.5 GHz channel.
However #1: I did replace the MX3 with an Apple Magic Mouse 2 and the problem goes away. But I don't like it's ergonomics.
However #2: I used the MX3 on an iMac for a few years and the problem didn't occur. So the fact that it only began when I connected the MX3 to the Mac Studio, and that connecting the MX3 by a cable to the Studio, leads me to think the Studio itself is part of the problem.

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
I highly doubt the problem is the Mac Studio. I have the MX3 paired via Bluetooth to my Mac Studio and have no issues at all. The same goes for several Mac Studios at work.

It's far more likely you're just experiencing interference as others have mentioned. Try using the little wireless adapter Logitech provides with the mouse instead of Bluetooth, and try plugging it into different ports. If you're already doing that, try pairing it via Bluetooth instead.

I've had interference issues with WiFi in the past and it turned out to be interference with a small desktop-sized fan I had about 12 inches away from the computer. The fan didn't have WiFi or anything like that, it was just a regular old fan - but something about the frequency of sound it produced interfered with WiFi. Moving the fan further away fixed the issue immediately.

The lesson is (for me anyway), don't just look at other computer equipment, but any electronics around the computer.

ThrowerGB

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2014
I highly doubt the problem is the Mac Studio. I have the MX3 paired via Bluetooth to my Mac Studio and have no issues at all. The same goes for several Mac Studios at work.

It's far more likely you're just experiencing interference as others have mentioned. Try using the little wireless adapter Logitech provides with the mouse instead of Bluetooth, and try plugging it into different ports. If you're already doing that, try pairing it via Bluetooth instead.

I've had interference issues with WiFi in the past and it turned out to be interference with a small desktop-sized fan I had about 12 inches away from the computer. The fan didn't have WiFi or anything like that, it was just a regular old fan - but something about the frequency of sound it produced interfered with WiFi. Moving the fan further away fixed the issue immediately.

The lesson is (for me anyway), don't just look at other computer equipment, but any electronics around the computer.
Thanks, I'll have to try some more repositioning.

ThrowerGB

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2014

Folk in other threads are saying this doesn't happen with the Studio M2.

Velin

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2008
Hearst Castle
I have a brand new M2 Max studio. I had this problem with the Logitech G502 Lightspeed (a fantastic mouse for work, by the way). I originally had the Logitech wireless adapter plugged into a powered ten-port USB-A to USB-A hub. This was causing lag and stuttering, on occasion.

Solution: move the wireless adapter to its own port on the studio using a USB-A to USB-C adapter, no dongle necessary. Once I did that, zero issues, lightning-fast response. I don't think it's the Mac studio at all; I think it's interference either with your wifi band and/or possible interference from a hub (if you are using one), or a combination of the two.

So now I have both my CODE keyboard wired directly into a port, wireless mouse adapter into another port. Flawless for several days thus far. Worth it using two ports to ensure absolutely zero input issues.

Beyond this hiccup, the USB-A to USB-A powered hub has worked flawlessly as well, and it's a years-old Anker model (and I've had a lot of stuff plugged into it, including two laser printers, Scansnap scanner, several HD drives, simultaneous USB flash drives, and multiple data transfers going at once). Impressed with the M2 Max studio thus far.

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
Folk in other threads are saying this doesn't happen with the Studio M2.
Folks in other threads are "know it all" buffoons. Absolutely NOBODY can say for sure that electronic/frequency interference doesn't occur with the Studio M2 (or any other electronic device). That's because absolutely NOBODY in any thread, on any forum, or anywhere else on the face of the Earth has the EXACT same electronics setup as the person in question here.

So having tried what I and others here have suggested with no success, maybe unplugging everything else in the room except the computer, display and keyboard/mouse is worth the two minutes to see if it's interference.

ThrowerGB

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2014
Folks in other threads are "know it all" buffoons. Absolutely NOBODY can say for sure that electronic/frequency interference doesn't occur with the Studio M2 (or any other electronic device). That's because absolutely NOBODY in any thread, on any forum, or anywhere else on the face of the Earth has the EXACT same electronics setup as the person in question here.

So having tried what I and others here have suggested with no success, maybe unplugging everything else in the room except the computer, display and keyboard/mouse is worth the two minutes to see if it's interference.
Granted, no one has the same setup. But I wouldn't go so far as saying "Folks in other threads are "know it all" buffoons."
Let me also say that yes, I've spent far more on this issue than the two minutes you suggest. That includes discussion with Logitech Tech Support, and going through the detailed revision notes for each version of their software downloads But more importantly, I've tested two of these MX Vertical Ergonomic mice on Mac Studio M2, M1 MacBook, and Intel MacBook. The mice work on all three. I've also taken your advice and tried to eliminate any possible electrical interference - without success.
Let me add for other readers who might appreciate additional information, I've seen people posting that the problem occurs on Mac Mini M1 as well.
And this blogger has an interesting piece that includes some of Logitech's history with trying to fix the software needed for the MX mice. But you'll have to ignore some of his caustic criticism.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.