Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Makentush360

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2011
Share Please?

I'm going through a similar issue, I have the Late 2011 MBP as well, and Lion is not compatible with almost everything I use. Do you mind posting the link to the ISO you downloaded? It would help ALOT! :eek:

and I'm a newb, just an FYI.

DayOfChaos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 13, 2011
I'm going through a similar issue, I have the Late 2011 MBP as well, and Lion is not compatible with almost everything I use. Do you mind posting the link to the ISO you downloaded? It would help ALOT! :eek:

and I'm a newb, just an FYI.

Do you have early 2011 Macbook Pro? It would be against the agreement between you and Apple if you installed the ISO without having the disk. Not trying to be a "dick", I would be glad to post the link, but I'm not sure if I can post it publicly though.

onions

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2011
this is really good news cause i was dreading having to go to lion with my new mbp thats on the way. if i can just clone my old laptop over and stay in SL, i'll be in heaven.

DayOfChaos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 13, 2011
this is really good news cause i was dreading having to go to lion with my new mbp thats on the way. if i can just clone my old laptop over and stay in SL, i'll be in heaven.

At least you know SL is possible! :)

DayOfChaos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 13, 2011
I thought you run the company?
Hi,

Its not a huge business and most tech support is done remotely or over Skype. I can easily handle that on my own, as with Macs, it very rare there are issues. ;)

Most tech tickets are questions, and are done though a ticket system, or email.

brush51

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2011
Hey guys,

i have a late 2011 macbook pro 13" with core i7 2.8 GHz and i want SL too.
Where can i find the early 2011 disk with 10.6.7 update??

Thanks a lot.

brush51

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA
Greetings all!

My name is Tim and I run global business, mastering in gaming, and a successful game call Day of Chaos. All our staff use Macs given to them by us, their own, we dont own them. I recently placed an order for 200 Macbook Pro's With 2.5Ghz, and 8GB of RAM to give to all them.

Currently, we only have licenses for Leopard and Snow leopard. I understand the Macs come with Lion, but we can not migrate to Lion yet, as we have began testing Lion on our systems, but not ready for release to our company yet.

Will the latest version of Snow Leopard work for the Macbook Pros?

Here is the official specs:

2.5GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7
8GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB
750GB Serial ATA Drive @ 7400
8x Double-Layer SuperDrive
MPB 15" Glossy WS Display
Keyboard/Users Guide
Country Kit

Thank you for your time Mac lovers!

EDIT: Success!

It works perfectly! I got a hold of a early 2011 disk with 10.6.7 update (downloaded the .ISO from the web). Of course, trackpad was funky, keyboard top keys didnt work, and it thought I had a 13 inch Macbook Pro.

But that was solved by installing 10.6.8 though software update. Everything works, just like normal! Keyboard, trackpad, everything, and I mean EVERYTHING works just like it was installed when it arrives.

SL for the win!

Glad you got it working! :)

tamago

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2012
Swapped in a 10.6.8 SSD onto a Late 2011 MBP 17" and it worked. Best of all, it can still boot lion from the original 750GB HDD put on a 2.5" USB enclosure.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Greetings all!

My name is Tim and I run global business, mastering in gaming, and a successful game call Day of Chaos. All our staff use Macs given to them by us, their own, we dont own them. I recently placed an order for 200 Macbook Pro's With 2.5Ghz, and 8GB of RAM to give to all them.

Currently, we only have licenses for Leopard and Snow leopard. I understand the Macs come with Lion, but we can not migrate to Lion yet, as we have began testing Lion on our systems, but not ready for release to our company yet.

Keyboard/Users Guide
Country Kit

It works perfectly! I got a hold of a early 2011 disk with 10.6.7 update (downloaded the .ISO from the web). Of course, trackpad was funky, keyboard top keys didnt work, and it thought I had a 13 inch Macbook Pro.

But that was solved by installing 10.6.8 though software update. Everything works, just like normal! Keyboard, trackpad, everything, and I mean EVERYTHING works just like it was installed when it arrives.

SL for the win!

I'd just like to congratulate you for using Macs for a business other then photo or video editing! :) Wish I could, have to put up with Windows XP still..

grrrz

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2012
Could somebody confirm here that it works with a newer 13" model? (the 2.4 Ghz version).
I want to buy one but have important software that don't work with lion (or through an expensive paid upgrade)?
thanks

svedish

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2008
Yes, it works on late 2011 MacBook Pros

Hi grrrz (and everyone).

I just finished the installation on my brand new MacBook Pro 13" i5 2.4 Ghz which I bought few days ago. After less than a week with Lion, I was getting mental. I hated it! So I started searching and I found this thread. Thanks God. Anyway, installation was fine and it's true, on 10.6.7 few things were funny (trackpad settings, top keys). After the update to 10.6.8 all looks good. I will report if I find any bugs, but it should be ok.

So, find yourself the ISO of Snow Leopard 10.6.7 (just Google it). Burn it on a double layer DVD (it's around 8Gb) and enjoy your freedom from Apple Vista. :)

Oh, andl... DayOfChaos. Thanks a lot for this post! I really appreciate your pointers. I can enjoy my laptop again with a lightweight, very mature and stable operating system, so I can get on with my work and forget about Apple's mobile crap. Snow Leopard for the win!

Thanks again. :)

grrrz

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2012

DayOfChaos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 13, 2011
Hi grrrz (and everyone).

I just finished the installation on my brand new MacBook Pro 13" i5 2.4 Ghz which I bought few days ago. After less than a week with Lion, I was getting mental. I hated it! So I started searching and I found this thread. Thanks God. Anyway, installation was fine and it's true, on 10.6.7 few things were funny (trackpad settings, top keys). After the update to 10.6.8 all looks good. I will report if I find any bugs, but it should be ok.

So, find yourself the ISO of Snow Leopard 10.6.7 (just Google it). Burn it on a double layer DVD (it's around 8Gb) and enjoy your freedom from Apple Vista. :)

Oh, andl... DayOfChaos. Thanks a lot for this post! I really appreciate your pointers. I can enjoy my laptop again with a lightweight, very mature and stable operating system, so I can get on with my work and forget about Apple's mobile crap. Snow Leopard for the win!

Your welcome!

I'd just like to congratulate you for using Macs for a business other then photo or video editing! :) Wish I could, have to put up with Windows XP still..

Lol thanks. We recently moved to Macs a few years ago and are trailing them in our office. Currently, its been a great success. :)

farmermac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2009
Iowa
Does thunderbolt work without any issues?

Im wondering about target display mode between a 2011 MBP with SL and a 2011 imac

And1ss

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2009
Glad to see others going back to SL from Lion-based machines. I also did the exact thing, but I only waited 5min before I decided to switch back to SL. haha

Macman756

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Does thunderbolt work without any issues?

Im wondering about target display mode between a 2011 MBP with SL and a 2011 imac

I would assume so, remember we're just trying to make it like an Early 2011, which was Thunderbolt and ran 10.6 Snow Leopard. I can't confirm this, hopefully Chaos can let us know for sure.

Ishmumrhmn

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2012
Hi grrrz (and everyone).

Apple Vista XD

Best Thing heard in a long time ;)

littlecody8

macrumors member
May 3, 2012
So I'm installing Snow Leopard on a 2009 MacBook Pro and then swapping the hard drive into a Late 2011 2.4GHz i5. Updating to 10.6.8 on the 2009. Will this work? It'll be done in about 20 minutes so I guess I'll have my answer then. Just wanted to see if there's something else I need to do. Thanks.

EDIT: Yes it did work. SL 10.6.8 loaded right up. Keyboard and mouse worked. Software update for Thunderbolt ready to download.

Last edited:

palz

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2010
Anyone know where to find the 10.6.8 ISO? I legitimately own Snow Leo, but my disc is retail and therefore won't work on my MacBook.

Mhjal

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2012
Link to download

Greetings all!

Keyboard/Users Guide
Country Kit

SL for the win!

Hi can you please give a link were you download it from and if you dont want to post it up you can send me an email from where you downloaded it from (mohammed_j@msn.com)

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.