Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ww2_1943

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2021
North NJ
Step 1. Failed. The optical drives are not swapable. Drive A on the left is from the 400Mhz unit, Drive B on the right is the 667's. Not only are they different physical sizes, but the connectors are on opposite sides. The 400 can go back together and back on the shelf now. Maybe I can use the 667's drive in the Pismo? I'll try that after.

View attachment 762674

EDIT: A little off topic, but the Combo drive works perfectly in the G3 Pismo. This is the first time I've had a chance to see DVD Player in action with the 8MB Rage Mobility 128 and it is surprisingly fluid on this old Mac.

View attachment 762696 View attachment 762697
The fit is flush, but not perfect (as it's a slot loading drive in place of a tray loader). It would be nice to cover the gap below the slot, but I'll live with this for now.. Maybe I could cut out the bottom half of the original tray bezel and glue it on underneath the slot bezel. Disc Burning is recognized as expected.
You can swap the bezel from a dead Pismo drive to your replacement, assuming you have the bezel. I found that there are at least two different bezels for the Pismo. One that works with LG drives and one with Panasonic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.