Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Skyburning

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 14, 2007
My parents got me a Nikon D40 off of Amazon for Christmas. Not sure if they got it with just the 18-55mm or with the additional 55-200mm. (I'm hoping for the latter!)

Anyway, I need suggestions for a nice camera bag to store it in..hopefully one large enough to leave a lens on it at all times. (especially if they only got the kit lens..I won't take it off at all if thats the case) I'll be buying the bag myself and am on a pretty limited budget..don't want to spend more than 50-60 dollars if possible. Thanks guys.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3A109a Safari/419.3)

Since you did not specify messenger, backpack or sling I'd recommend this one sling style from adorma. Its fairly moderate in terms of price and holds a camera with lens. I'd never want a bag that did not.

Skyburning

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 14, 2007
Thanks guys, I have no preference as to what style bag but I did find out today (my dad was too excited to keep a secret) that I AM getting both lens. That Lowepro bag looks nice but on Amazon it is at the very top of my budget so if possible a few more suggestions would be awesome.

Hawkeye411

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2007
Canada EH!!!
Just go out and buy your favorite freekin' bag!!! .. Just make a decision on your own man... Why do you need to ask us which bag to purchase. Do a freekin' google search for camera bags and then do some google searches for reviews about these bags and freekin' buy one. Or better yet ..... go to your local camera store and look at them ... hold them in your hands .... and make a decision on your own ..
LMAO.
:):apple:

JNB

macrumors 604
I've got a Tenba Shootout (Small) coming. This thing is amazing! I spent about two hours at a camera shop (a real one, not the Ritz/Kits ditzes) doing nothing but tearing into bags, and I was really shocked at the difference in quality. After that, I don't think I will consider Lowenpro again. They're not bad, just not Tenba. Crumplers are (or were) real good, I don't know if the size of the line is diluting the quality. Tamrac seems to be riding a bit on their name, but still decent. The National Geographic bags are a little too "Banana Republic" cool for me, but I still love the feel & smell of weathered canvas.

Bottom line, if there's any way possible, go to someplace that has a selection and make your own call. It's too personal a choice to leave to a pure internet judgement. I think the best advice after that is to get a bag one size larger thaan you think you need -- you WILL be filling it up...

Attachments

• 632-302.jpg
    632-302.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 603

Skyburning

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 14, 2007
I appreciate the input. I unfortunately do not have a camera store anywhere near here, the closest I have is a Best Buy. I live in rural Mississippi so unless I can get a nice camera bag at Bass Pro Shop I need to purchase it online. I had to get my Macbook online and my camera online so...I am reading different reviews for bags by you guys telling me what you have and why you like it! Thanks for the comments so far though..I didn't realize that a camera bag was that personal of a decision :p This is my first DSLR. I have a Canon Rebel for film but I have never kept it in a bag :rolleyes: but I figure with more than one lens I definitely need one for the Nikon..especially since it will travel with me a lot. The film for my Canon got too expensive so it is put away in its original packaging right now until I have a little more spare cash.

Skyburning

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 14, 2007
Hahaha, good God. I love that Tenba you posted so I went and looked on there website and it's $210...not feasable and now I'm depressed! Lmao.:D

Skyburning

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 14, 2007
Okay (sorry I know I'm replying a ridiculous amount to my thread) I looked and I think for right now a Lowepro Nova Mini AW would work for me seeing as how the very earliest I will get another lens is next christmas. So..as it's ridiculously affordable..is there any reason why I shouldn't get this bag? In other words, is it affordable because it's a piece of crap?

JNB

macrumors 604
Okay (sorry I know I'm replying a ridiculous amount to my thread) I looked and I think for right now a Lowepro Nova Mini AW would work for me seeing as how the very earliest I will get another lens is next christmas. So..as it's ridiculously affordable..is there any reason why I shouldn't get this bag? In other words, is it affordable because it's a piece of crap?

It's a good little starter bag, from what I can tell. The price is right, the gear you'll have initially won't rattle around too much. Last a few good years as long as you don't use it as a football. ;)

Beware, though. If the bug bites you bad, that bag will become too small by an order of magnitude or so about that fast. You'll want more. You'll need more. Trust me...

Skyburning

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 14, 2007
It's a good little starter bag, from what I can tell. The price is right, the gear you'll have initially won't rattle around too much. Last a few good years as long as you don't use it as a football. ;)

Beware, though. If the bug bites you bad, that bag will become too small by an order of magnitude or so about that fast. You'll want more. You'll need more. Trust me...

Haha, I fully expect the bug to bite, but no worries, I simply can't AFFORD more, haha. So unless my family wants to spring for more lenses I'll just have the two for a while. I have a baby due in February and wanted a nicer camera to capture his first years.. (right now I have a crappy Kodak Easyshare) so the decided to buy big for the last Christmas that will be about me. Next year I suspect I'll get a stocking and my little boy will get the big stuff. ;)

Jeremy!

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2007
Why do you need it?

Serious question.

You need to ask yourself why do I need it, and what will I use it for.

For example, I have a D80 (virtually the same as D40) and both are amazing cameras. It is my first DSLR, and after years of some very nice SLR's, DSLR is like a completely new way to take photos. You will be pleased. But I digress. In my case (no pun intended, well maybe a bit of one) I needed to be able to literally throw the camera in a car, or boat without worrying it would be crushed or damaged. I did not need to carry a whole bunch of stuff I would not use in the field, just no point. I have the D80 with one lens (18-135 which is like a 50-200 for a SLR) a 'Lenspen' and a spare SD card. I have the battery pack (MB D80) attached which has two batteries so I always have a back up attached to the D80. That's it. I know from experience that all the other stuff) filters, cables etc. are quite fine at home, in fact safer at home. In the field you won't all of a sudden need any of that, so why carry it? If you are going somewhere where you do need a certain item, you will take it with you - right? So keep it simple, and keep it light. The more crap you put in the bag the less likely you are to carry it.

My first bag was kinda like the one mentioned above. You could put lots of stuff in it, it was not hard and there were pockets, and compartments for everything. I almost never used it. My second was very small and I did use it. Problem was it soft, and after a filter got busted that was it for soft cases. My third was a giant aluminum number that kept several lenses, flash, and odds & ends. It was great but not water or dust proof, and weighed a ton. I rarely if ever used the all the stuff in it. So I learnt from this and my latest case is definitely the best so far for my needs.

The case I use is a Pelican 1300. It is very strong, and water, and dust tight. Also has a pressure relief so you can take it planes. One un-intended benefit of this case that I have used twice now, is I can stand on it for extra height! And I'm a heavy guy. It is also really nice to know I can throw the thing on the ground, without having to worry about breaking anything. If you hike or rough it at all - this is a good thing!

In the field I take the camera out, wrap the Nikon strap tight around my wrist twice (in case I get bumped or drop it, and lock the case up to keep the dirt out.

You mention Bass-pro shop. Don't knock them, they often have really great cases that might be fine for cameras. They might even carry Pelican cases.

So in short, ask yourself why you need one, and what will you use it for. You mentioned that your Cannon was not in a bag, so maybe you don't need one at all? Figure out what your relistic needs will be, and then make a decision. And if you save a bit of money on the case - use the cash for an extra battery.

Good luck, and let us know what you end up getting.

P.S. One thing about DSLR's that you might not know, is unlike film which is always new (sort of self cleaning in a way), the image sensor just sits there and gradually collects dust. Take a shot now and again of clear sky to check for dust on the sensor. Cleaning it is a another topic....

soapn

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2005
i'll second the domke brand. i've had f-803 satchel for everyday usage and it fits my canon 5d, 17-40mm, 50mm 1.2 and 580ex comfortably. It doesn't have the super-foamy padding, but it has adequate protection and more importantly, the bag contours to my body very nicely.

Also, my sister has the Crumpler 7-million dollar home. It has great padding, stylish and doesn't look like a camera bag, i'd consider it if that's important to you at all. It is pricey at 130 dollars.

Skyburning

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 14, 2007
<snip>

So in short, ask yourself why you need one, and what will you use it for. You mentioned that your Cannon was not in a bag, so maybe you don't need one at all? Figure out what your relistic needs will be, and then make a decision. And if you save a bit of money on the case - use the cash for an extra battery.

Good luck, and let us know what you end up getting.

P.S. One thing about DSLR's that you might not know, is unlike film which is always new (sort of self cleaning in a way), the image sensor just sits there and gradually collects dust. Take a shot now and again of clear sky to check for dust on the sensor. Cleaning it is a another topic....

Thanks for the reply! I ended up ordering the Mini off of Amazon for $27. So, if it completely fails me I guess I not out too much! My Canon isn't in a bag because it doesn't leave the house anymore. :( I'm not much for hiking etc so I don't need a bag that will be rough and tumble with me, I mainly want a bag to try and keep dust from collecting. I was aware that dust collected eventually but I have no idea how to clean it! So I'm sure I'll eventually have a newb post on that too. :D I do know to point the body lens side down when changing the lenses to try and minimize it though!

Daringescape

macrumors regular
May 7, 2003
CA
One of the best pieces of advice Ive seen is to go out and buy and inexpensive diaper bag (you can get them in plain black) and spend a little time getting your gear to fit in it. The reason given is that camera bags are a prime target for theft, but nobody wants a diaper bag.

Diaper bags are big, padded and have lots of compartments.

cutsman

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2006
Take a look at Crumpler. The Crumpler "4 Million Dollar Home" might be a good fit for you.. it will hold your D40 with 18-55mm mounted plus another lens (55-200 VR will fit).

I have a Crumpler 5 million dollar home and I love it. They make great bags that tend to be a little above avg in price, but the 4MDH does fit your budget. Good luck!

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
I've got a Tamrac Expedition 5, which holds my (minimal) gear... with room to take an extra lens, flashgun, etc (or, more likely, a pair of waterproof over-trousers and some cheese 'n' pickle sandwiches). Best of all, there's a simple way to strap a tripod to it.

It's a good bag. I can't pretend it's the best, 'cos i haven't tried them all. :)

It's just very useful to know where everything is... so when I throw the bag in the car, I know I won't have forgotten spare cards... or battery. I'll have everything I need for a day's landscape photography...

-hh

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2001
NJ Highlands, Earth
... Why do you need to ask us which bag to purchase.

Perhaps he asked because there's folks here who have been shooting for years and who have tried different bags? :rolleyes:

Lets see...

Black cube shoulder
Green Eagle Creek shoulder*
Dark Green 'Travelsmith' shoulder (w/waist strap)*
Tamrac 610
Tamrac Camera/Laptop backpack
Lowepro Street & Field belt system
Kinesis SLR bag w/shoulder strap
Kinesis belt system

* = probably wasn't sold as a camera bag?

...I think I've tried a few, although as one can see from the above, I've generally preferred a "shoulder" bag, although I've gone to one that has a waist strap. I might consider one of the newer sling bags, but I'm not sure how compatible they would be while carrying a large daypack / small backpack.

Similarly, I've also found that what I like to carry around to shoot is not the same kind of bag that I like to carry through airports. Carrying a laptop also is a contributing factor.

Finally, having all of your lenses in one bag ... can make for a big, ungainly bag that's no fun to carry around. Naturally, its never a problem when you're first starting out, but evolves into one.

In general, I like to carry a "sachel" sized shoulder bag, which will hold an SLR with a short lens attached and enough extra room in the bag for two accessories. Typically, this will be another 'small' lens and a strobe.

If I'm going to be shooting with my big telephoto, I'll use a dedicated carry bag for that, and then a sachel-sized bag for either a second SLR/lens, or just the lens & misc goodies.

Of course, all of this assumes that I'm travelling some distance with the camera. For shots around the house & yard, the bag stays inside.

-hh

PS: where I'm at today is that I think I want to go to wider straps on my shoulder bags. Probably something in the 1.5" range, maybe higher.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.