Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

art gardiner

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2007
Cairo, Egypt
If you stick to photography for any length of time, you'll find that more than anything else quantitatively camera oriented - camera bags will out number anything else in your arsenal. (The search for the perfect camera bag is a never ending quest.) The main reason is that your needs will very from one outing to another.

As time goes by, you're more than likely to notice that the use of a shoulder bag will start to give you back problems as your lens, body, accessories continue to grow. Thus, moving on to something that has a better center of balance per your frame. That said, I think I have as many bags as years I've been shooting. They range from the small Domke f-6 shoulder style, to my beloved f-803 reporter satchel, to a Tamrac Backpack, and finally the Newswear line of waist belts and vests.

My point: as someone stated previously, your best bet is to just try one out. While you stated that you don't have a camera store near by, I'm sure there are quite a few camera clubs around your area. Google them, and find out when, and where they meet. Photographers are usually a very friendly bunch and will assist you if you give them the chance. This will allow you the opportunity to test out what they're using, and see how it fits your current needs. Remember, quality bags can last a lifetime. My first Domke (F-6e) is going on it's 12th year now, and while it may look every bit it's age - it still performs like new. (I've had to replace the foam inserts once, but that's a small price considering the cost to replace/repair the gear it's carried.

Lastly, eBay! You can get a pretty good deal there if you know what you're looking for, and save a few bucks on a used bag. You would be surprised what people get rid of, just because it's faded or they want something new.

Best wishes with your new gear.

Art

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I'll be buying the bag myself and am on a pretty limited budget..don't want to spend more than 50-60 dollars if possible. Thanks guys.

You can keep the price down very low if you think creatively. Have you seen those "soft coolers" They are intended to keep you driks cool while you go to the beach. They work well as camera bags and have padding, zippers and a cary strap and sell for about $15. or even less if you buy the version intended as a kids lunch box. They also have the advantage of not looking like a camera bag.

WhenI was younger and had less money I used Army surplus 50 Cal ammo boxes. Those steel boxes were 100% water tight. I glued foam to the insides with contact cement and spray painted the outside white. I bought the boxes for about $5 each.

Today I like to use Domke bags. When I transport the gear I place the Domke bag inside a Pelican case. The "bag in a case" system works well. I leave the empty case in the car, hotel room aor whatever and walk around with a light bag.

I still use the $5 kids lunch sack. I like to carry a standard Lowe backpack. I'll place the carma gear in the lightly sack and the sack in the backpack.

marclapierre13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2005
Slingshot 200. I havent got mine yet, but I am going to order it soon. I have been looking around forever for a good bag, and I think Im going to get this one.

bld44

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2007
Look for something like these bags. I bought a QuantaRay case like one of those from Ritz earlier this year and it has been absolutely fabulous. Everyone I knew suggested a backpack but I like having something down at my side incase I need to get in there while shooting. Plenty of room for two lenses. I had the 18-55mm & 55-200mm VR for a while. Now I have the 18-200mm VRII with my D40 and it fits perfectly with plenty of room for filters and other nicknacks.

klymr

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2007
Utah
I carry a Nikon N80, with a 28-90 lens mounted on it and a 70-300 lens separate, and other goodies (filters, film, cable release, etc.) in a Lowepro Photorunner bag. It hasn't let me down yet, although I don't know if they make it anymore. I had to visit three stores before I found a bag I liked, and that was the one.

When I get a DSLR I'll have to find something else to use, or just empty the current bag and find something new for that gear.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.